autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good coating for first timer

I’m just a weekend warrior, but I am thinking about trying my hand at coating my wife’s car. This will be the first time I’ve tried applying a coating. I’ve been looking at the McKees 37 coating product since it seems pretty easy to apply. But before I pull the trigger I was hoping to find out if there were any other coatings that are easy for a first timer to apply that I should be looking at.

Thanks!

2. Likes itsmebrad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good coating for first timer

Most here would agree that McKees 37 is a good and easy to apply coating. Do you plan to machine polish before applying the coating?

4. Likes KBsToy liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Most here would agree that McKees 37 is a good and easy to apply coating. Do you plan to machine polish before applying the coating?

Yes, I’m planning on doing a once over with Menz 3500 and a tangerine pad followed by an Eraser wipe down and finishing up with (assuming I don’t find something better) McKees paint coating.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple others

Gyeon CanCoat - May not be the longest lasting but easy to apply and protection for 6-10 months is relatively good. It exceeded my expectations and it made it a solid 11 months thus far. Started to show signs of wearing out at the 10 month mark.

Optimum Gloss Coat - Easy to apply but not the most durable. This will get you about a year maybe a little more.

Sonax CC36 - Just be aware that this one has a high cost for the amount needed. One kit can coat an average size sedan. Anything larger and you will need 2 kits. Will net you 1 year.

Cquartz TiO2 (aka Classic) - Easy to work with and overall a good performer.

Make sure you prep wipe the surface really well. Mezerna polishes are on the oily side so it may take a little more effort with a prep wipe.

7. Likes PaulMys, cullen2505, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Menzerna has a lot of oils, so do an Eraser wipe down or panel wipe twice. Get good lighting and some good mf towels.

9. Likes cullen2505 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Menzerna has a lot of oils, so do an Eraser wipe down or panel wipe twice. Get good lighting and some good mf towels.

I also have some Optimum Hyper Spray Polish if that would be a better choice?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rhavyn View Post
    Have not used Optimum, but if Optimum recommends using before their coatings, it should be fine. If you run out, you can always use some alcohol and water mix for a wipe down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rhavyn View Post
    It's a good polish. Will work with any coating so you are good to go if you have this.

Post Thanks / Like

Tough call. I’m a weekend warrior also.took Mike P s class n am hooked. my M4 after prepping (took 4 hours} and did WG deep gloss sealant, love it. Just did EXO Gtechniq took all day on my wife’s IS350 all I can say is wow.
    Need to do my 150 for winter wil try Collinite 845 n Sonax pns on it (separate panels). So many great sealants it’s mind boggling. Still trying to determine what to put on my 718 Cayman S. I do thank everyone with so much experience on all their input it really helps all the novice, beginners and those making a living. And thanks to Mike P., with sharing all his info

14. Likes cullen2505 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markymapo View Post
    Tough call. I’m a weekend warrior also.took Mike P s class n am hooked. my M4 after prepping (took 4 hours} and did WG deep gloss sealant, love it. Just did EXO Gtechniq took all day on my wife’s IS350 all I can say is wow.
    Need to do my 150 for winter wil try Collinite 845 n Sonax pns on it (separate panels). So many great sealants it’s mind boggling. Still trying to determine what to put on my 718 Cayman S. I do thank everyone with so much experience on all their input it really helps all the novice, beginners and those making a living. And thanks to Mike P., with sharing all his info
    OP is asking about a coating and not a sealant.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast