autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wax and water spots question..

I apologize if this has been covered previously, but I am becoming frustrated. Here's my basic question: Does wax (or any other typical LSP) contribute to the appearance of water spots?

Here is why I am asking. I have 2 cars, both black. A dodge Challenger and a Cadillac. The Challenger I detail religiously and obsess over, the Caddy is just a daily driver. The Caddy just gets a periodic wash from time to time, that's it! No waxing, polishing or any other products applied. Whenever it rains, the Cadillac does get some minor water spotting but it washes of pretty easily. Even if the wash doesn't take place for a couple of days later.
    The Challenger, the one I polish, wax and completely obsess over, will get water spots that will not come off easily even when washed immediately after a rain. Typically, a light rubbing or polishing is the only way to completely remove them....until the next rain! WTH?!?

Shouldn't a wax or other LSP minimize the impact of water spotting? Or at least ease the removal of them when done in a timely manner?

Thanks for you thoughts!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wax and water spots question..

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Pilot View Post
    I apologize if this has been covered previously, but I am becoming frustrated. Here's my basic question: Does wax (or any other typical LSP) contribute to the appearance of water spots?

Shouldn't a wax or other LSP minimize the impact of water spotting? Or at least ease the removal of them when done in a timely manner?

Thanks for you thoughts!
    Any LSP that beads water, rather than sheeting it, will contribute to water spots.

It may be just as hard to remove a water spot off of waxed, sealed, or coated paint as it is bare paint.

The car that does not get waxed, gets less spots because the water lays flat on the surface and evaporates quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

You are coming to terms with the fact that water beading is absolutely pointless and actually counterproductive. Sheeting is the desired result.

Post Thanks / Like

In reference to Camaro’s comment - not necessarily. It’s only an issue if you let the car sit wet. For me, I love my water beading. It lets me know my car still has protection on it. I always dry it w a blower when it gets wet. The beads just roll right off w little effort. Just my opinion.

W
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys...

Now I am really confused. If water "beading" is such a negative thing as far as promoting water spots, why is it that so many LSP manufacturers pride themselves on how well their product beads water? After all...beading is (apparently) bad as it promotes water spots right? Hmmm..

Can you recommend some quality LSP's that provide water "sheeting" as opposed to beading? Perhaps I should try them.

Post Thanks / Like

Now I am really confused. If water "beading" is such a negative thing as far as promoting water spots, why is it that so many LSP manufacturers pride themselves on how well their product beads water? After all...beading is (apparently) bad as it promotes water spots right? Hmmm..

Can you recommend some quality LSP's that provide water "sheeting" as opposed to beading? Perhaps I should try them.
    Sonax Polymer Net Shield (PNS) and Brilliant Shine Detailer (BSD) is a LSP with a great sheeting ability. BSD is a QD but has a great amount of protection in it. 6-8 weeks on it's own you get in longevity from it. So if you would try it out you can go with the BSD first. And if you like it you can get the PNS that you get 5-6 months of solid protection. If maintained with BSD you can extend the longevity of it some and hold it's crazy water behavior at top. You still get beading from it so it's not a miracle. But the amount of water that is left is less than a more beading LSP. This is also why coatings is great with it's sheeting ability it has. And the most important to have is a clean car. So the LSP has the ability to work with it's sheeting and beading ability. The cleaner the car is the more effective water behavior it has. Then it's a middle ground so you don't have to wash the car daily. But in the range of 1-2 weeks apart when you are washing the car. And something that comes with a great water behavior is the need of a wash solution that don't degrade it's properties with the wax and or glossenhancers it's leaves behind. That's why I like Carpro Reset so much is it's leaves nothing behind and lets my LSP work as should be.

7. Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ntwillie1 View Post
    In reference to Camaro’s comment - not necessarily. It’s only an issue if you let the car sit wet. For me, I love my water beading. It lets me know my car still has protection on it. I always dry it w a blower when it gets wet. The beads just roll right off w little effort. Just my opinion.

W
    I’m sorry but that’s just not practical. The purpose of protection is so you don’t have to immediately remove water or contaminants. Are you telling me you are going to take your blower with you everywhere you go? On the way to lunch and it rains and then the sun pops out while your inside eating? Go blow off the car in the parking lot?

Sheeting is practical protection.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Because from a consumers point of view, and even detailers, the beading LOOKS better. I dont think I've ever heard someone say "wow look at that water sheet!" No, they say "heyyy look at that water bead right up". Its the desired aesthetic. And when you do get water spots, they have a product to take care of that too.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by camaro2ssblack View Post
    I’m sorry but that’s just not practical. The purpose of protection is so you don’t have to immediately remove water or contaminants. Are you telling me you are going to take your blower with you everywhere you go? On the way to lunch and it rains and then the sun pops out while your inside eating? Go blow off the car in the parking lot?

Sheeting is practical protection.
    Yup, and when someone comes up to see what the heck I'm doing, I smile and whip out my business card. lol

11. Likes rangerbay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Sonax Polymer Net Shield (PNS) and Brilliant Shine Detailer (BSD) is a LSP with a great sheeting ability. BSD is a QD but has a great amount of protection in it. 6-8 weeks on it's own you get in longevity from it. So if you would try it out you can go with the BSD first. And if you like it you can get the PNS that you get 5-6 months of solid protection. If maintained with BSD you can extend the longevity of it some and hold it's crazy water behavior at top. You still get beading from it so it's not a miracle. But the amount of water that is left is less than a more beading LSP. This is also why coatings is great with it's sheeting ability it has. And the most important to have is a clean car. So the LSP has the ability to work with it's sheeting and beading ability. The cleaner the car is the more effective water behavior it has. Then it's a middle ground so you don't have to wash the car daily. But in the range of 1-2 weeks apart when you are washing the car. And something that comes with a great water behavior is the need of a wash solution that don't degrade it's properties with the wax and or glossenhancers it's leaves behind. That's why I like Carpro Reset so much is it's leaves nothing behind and lets my LSP work as should be.
    Water Beading from SONAX Polymer Net Shield

Not sheeting very well.

13. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast