autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Coated paint started streaking like crazy! Help!

I coated my wife’s 2017 black Macan with CQuartz a year ago. For 9 months it looked fantastic. I do maintenance washes with ONR once a week because we live in a condo building, and lug my buckets and soap to the coin-op wash once a month and do a 2 bucket wash with Ammo Foam shampoo. I’ve been using Adams detail spray as a LSP while washing either with ONR or soap and haven’t had any issues.

Anyways, recently the car had been streaking like crazy. Whether using ONR or shampoo, drying the car with microfibers, or blow drying the car, it just looks like crap.

Is is there anything I can do besides getting the paint machine polished and getting rid of the coating? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coated paint started streaking like crazy! Help!

Welcome to AGO.

It might be time for a decontamination wash.

3. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Guz on a thorough decon wash. And would get both TarX and IronX and Reset from Carpro. Start with washing with 2bm wash with carpro reset. Then TarX and after that IronX. And another wash with Reset. The next 3-4 washes I would also do with Reset and no adding of any LSP products. Till you noticed the coating behavior is back. Then I would get Carpro Ech2o instead of ONR. This is to not get the glossenhancer from ONR to interfear with the cquarts coating. If you feel to ad some gloss I would get Carpro Reload. To apply monthly after you do a maintance wash with carpro reset. And as a QD wipe down after a rinseless wash or waterless wash with Ech2o. The QD you do with the Merlin Elixir. 1oz of Ech2o and 1oz of Reload and 20oz destilled water.

The biggest problem is the Adam's detailer spray which I think is synthetic wax based. This will clogg your coating over time as the glossenhancers in ONR. Which gets you a smearing finish in the end. And it's a better choice to work in synergy with your coating. Of course you can use other brands too. But then I would use products that don't leave anything behind or it leaves some extra sio2 or and tio2. But have in mind that other brands uses different glossenhancers even in sio2 products sometimes. And that overapplying toppers to often can also get you a streaking mess. Cause it's just topped so it's not getting any more to bond to. And you have all of the extra product to buff off which is a chore that takes it elbow grease to do.

Welcome to the forum! Hope you get a solution to get the coating behavior back.

Post Thanks / Like

On coated vehicles I ONLY use CarPro Reset. I know for sure it's nothing but pure suds and clean-clear soap that keeps the vehicle's coating performing at it's best. In the end, any other types of polymers or gloss agents "may" but not always could cause streaks. You'll mainly see it on black/pure black or dark colored vehicles. I do tons and tons of black cars and I even give away a nice gift-bucket of products including a couple ounces of Reset to show customers how to care for it correctly and it's funny that about 1/3 to 1/2 of them eventually try to use something else and call me with similar results but then once they use the recommended products, all is good again.

Good luck but I wouldn't stress too much. Just use Reset. FWIW, Wolfgang Uber Rinseless works fine as a wash or detail spray as long as you use distilled or like water and the correct ratios.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

6. Likes fly07sti, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ll piggyback on the other good recommendations you’ve already been given. I agree with others that you probably just need a thorough decon wash. If you’re needing a good rinseless, I’d recommend McKee’s N914. Cleans very well and doesn’t leave anything behind. Ech20 is also another great option. Both are very versatile.

Post Thanks / Like

McKees 37 also has a pre-coating prep wash. I just asked Nick @ McKees about using this to deep clean a current coating and he said it would work great. I just ordered some to use in place of Reset.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ebg18t View Post
    McKees 37 also has a pre-coating prep wash. I just asked Nick @ McKees about using this to deep clean a current coating and he said it would work great. I just ordered some to use in place of Reset.
    I would weary on the side of caution. I texted Nick about this as well and when I used it on my car that at the time had Sonax CC36 Ceramic Paint coating and it degraded the coating even after washing with Reset. Mind you the coating was around 11 months old. I have not tried it on other coatings such as Cquartz and I probably won't after I tested it on the Sonax coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Coated paint started streaking like crazy! Help!

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I would weary on the side of caution. I texted Nick about this as well and when I used it on my car that at the time had Sonax CC36 Ceramic Paint coating and it degraded the coating even after washing with Reset. Mind you the coating was around 11 months old. I have not tried it on other coatings such as Cquartz and I probably won't after I tested it on the Sonax coating.
    Interesting. Did you find it stronger than Reset?

I’ll report back next weekend, I have a bottle on the way and I’ll try it on CQUK & WGUC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ebg18t View Post
    Interesting. Did you find it stronger than Reset?
    Yes I did.