autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Best Clay Option

I know there are several options for claying your car. What is everyone’s opinion and favorite product to use. I know any kind of claying will cause some marring of the paint. I don’t have a buffer and my car is silver so I’m thinking it won’t be that visible if I pass on the polishing step. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Clay Option

I've always enjoyed working with the Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay. You could always follow up with the new Pinnacle Souveran Jeweling Wax by hand.

Pinnacle?s Ultra Poly Clay is the single finest clay composition available today.

Pinnacle Souveran Jeweling Wax

Post Thanks / Like

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality." - Ayn Ran

Post Thanks / Like

The Nanoskin wash mitt is so freaking easy its ridiculous. I clayed my wife's Nissan Armada in less than 10 minutes. I will never look back, I don't know why anyone would to be honest.

5. Likes ShinyGC, RippyD, derass liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree - mitt is the way to go. I still use clay for wheels, really bad areas, or tight areas. Probably 95% mitt. Much easier and faster.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget the Nanoskin sponges. I love mine.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

nanoskin and not looking back at a clay bar....faster..easier and just rinse off to get back to clean skin

Post Thanks / Like

•CLAY MAGIC:
    -Red; Blue; Polymer

•Griot’s Garage:
    -Paint Cleaning Clay
    -IMO...Good Buy:
    {>226 grams @$22}

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I too have had great success with Nanoskin, specifically the sponges. So easy to do and love the fact if you drop it which I do often, it can be rinsed and keep on going.
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

Post Thanks / Like

You have gotten great options above which clay alternatives and clay bar to get. So I will recommend you one thing many oversee when claying and that I think it's most important to have a great one. And that's claylube! Sure if you are going to polish after the claying why bother with the little clay marring and scratches. Clay is abrasive by nature and there are different ones of these too. But if you use a fresh clay bar and a not weared down clay alternative and a great claylube. You won't be always need to polish afterwards. The best claylube I know of is Dodo Juice Born Slippy Clay Lubricant Concentrate. Which also gets economical with a concentrate. And as you don't clay every wash and use when needed you are going to be fine with clay bar or clay alternatives and claylube. When claying became known to the detailing people and the ocd detailing people. The ocd could get carried away with a over use of the clay. And accually marring the paint pretty bad in the end when doing it to often. Then you have those that use the same clay bar to often and marring and scratches. Because of a dirty and contaminants full of clay. This is also to be thorough with when useing a clay alternative to clean it often when claying. The clay alternatives has become better quality but can be quite aggressive and I think it's more aggressive than the clay bar. And I still use a claylube when claying with a clay alternative. Have a soap solution in a bucket to clean the clay alternative. Get the most of the soap solution out of it and spray the section you are going to clay with claylube. And rinse it and clean it and move to the next section. Don't forget to break in the clay alternatives on your windows of your car first. Otherwise you need to polish afterwards. Don't rubb your paint because that's how you do it. Get a feeling when you are getting the contaminants off. You will feel a slight draging and if alot of contaminants your clay can stop at the spot and your hand goes away from it lol. But when you have moved the clay over the section and you feel it's gliding smoothly. Stop and knead or rinse the clay and wipe of the residue with a mf towel. Many already know this and so do you to maybe, but it's good for those that don't know about it.

Dodo Juice Born Slippy Clay Lubricant Concentrate, born slippy clay lube, detailing clay lubricant, clay lube concentrate

There is even a mild clay bar that you can spot claying if you get a bonded contaminant and keep your LSP on the paint afterwards. It's the Sonus SFX Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay bar. I would not use on a coating. But on a sealant that is not to it's end it works good. And also here is either Sonüs claylube or dodo juice born slippy the ones I would use with it.
    There is also a clay out there that you can clay their coatings with. But Sonüs was made for sealants so I would only test to clay a ceramic coating with it if I is ready to recoat the car. And so also when claying other lsp the first time and see how it works. Just for precaution.

Sonus SFX Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay, clay bars, auto clay, paint cleaning bar

/Tony

12. Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post
    Likes Paul A., rlmccarty2000 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast