autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Time to restock, recommendations?

Looking to restock on some products and wanted to hear some recommendations.

I currently need compound, polish and good all-around degreaser.

My polisher set up at the moment is Flex 3401 and Lake Country CCS pads and few Hybrid flat pads. As for compound, I’ve used Menzerna FG 400 and HD Adapt. Both products work good, I just want to try something else that I might like more.

As for polish, I am currently using Menzerna SF 4500 or 4000 (can’t remember). I’m also satisfied with this product, just looking to add another option I can go to. Maybe something that cuts more and finishes great.

For degreaser, I’m looking for something strong enough to clean tire/rubber and gentle enough to spot treat interior or not worry about damaging any coated wheels while cleaning the tires. I currently use 3D Yellow degreaser for heavy stuff and Orange for light work. Goal here is to cut it down to 1 bottle instead of 2.

Final question, any microfiber cutting pads that play well with the Flex 3401?

any advice or recommendation is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time to restock, recommendations?

I'd stick with FG400. It's in a class by itself since Adapt was discontinued.

I one stepped this Porsche with FG400.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

3. Likes PaulMys, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sonax Cut Max is awesome, Id give that a try for sure. Jescar compound is pretty nice also but I prefer the Sonax.
    I’m still a fan of Menzerna super finish, 3500 now used to be 4000. Man I wish they could have just picked one system and stick with it.
    I have tried many cutting MF pads for the Flex 3401 and was never happy. I will say if you are looking at something with a lot of cut for the 3401 the LC force hybrid line purple foamed wool work really really good. Actually the whole line of Force hybrid pads are amazing.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

For compound I would try the BOSS fast correcting cream from griots, it is very good and I like it a lot. I get very close to LSP level finish with it and the haze is easily buffed out by your favorite finishing polish. For the apc and since you already use 3D I would get this from 3D Super Citrus APC. It can be used for exterior or interior and is a great value as the regular strength dilution is 45:1.

Post Thanks / Like

Second the Hybrid Force pads with a 3401 setup. That's what we use.

Post Thanks / Like

I did some testing just yesterday of FG400, Sonax Cut Max and Boss FCC. Used my Rupes Duetto and Boss White Pads. The only product that didn't need a second polishing step to remove haze on the black paint was FG400.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    I did some testing just yesterday of FG400, Sonax Cut Max and Boss FCC. Used my Rupes Duetto and Boss White Pads. The only product that didn't need a second polishing step to remove haze on the black paint was FG400.
    I do have to agree 400 finishes really nice on most paint systems but sometimes I just find it to lack a bit of cut compared to Cut Max. I have really been liking Wizards Mystic Cut but AG doesn’t sell it so I will not say much more.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LAKings22 View Post
    Looking to restock on some products and wanted to hear some recommendations.

I currently need compound, polish and good all-around degreaser.

My polisher set up at the moment is Flex 3401 and Lake Country CCS pads and few Hybrid flat pads. As for compound, I’ve used Menzerna FG 400 and HD Adapt. Both products work good, I just want to try something else that I might like more.

As for polish, I am currently using Menzerna SF 4500 or 4000 (can’t remember). I’m also satisfied with this product, just looking to add another option I can go to. Maybe something that cuts more and finishes great.

For degreaser, I’m looking for something strong enough to clean tire/rubber and gentle enough to spot treat interior or not worry about damaging any coated wheels while cleaning the tires. I currently use 3D Yellow degreaser for heavy stuff and Orange for light work. Goal here is to cut it down to 1 bottle instead of 2.

Final question, any microfiber cutting pads that play well with the Flex 3401?

any advice or recommendation is appreciated, thanks in advance.

CarPro ClearCut is a 200% winner for a compound. Combined with a foam cutting pad or better yet, Blue/Purple Wool on a 3401 will correct even the worst paint in a matter of just a few passes leaving perhaps some of the clearest paint of any compound I've used. What's left to bring to a jewel like finish is super easy. I tend to use mostly all coatings anymore so CarPro Essence or GYEON's PRIMER are what I reach for most. Otherwise, Meg's 205/Ultimate Polish is my next go-to. Nothing more needed from there IMO.

I also don't use Microfiber on the 3401. Wool cuts better and finishes excellent. The only downside is wool dusts more. That said, I've been using my Rupes Mille and their UHS system/polish and it's an awesome 1-step correction product even on fairly bad swirls. I am moving away from their gray UHS Pads though as they just don't hold up. Their Green pads have proven best for me.

Back to the 3401, I use Hybrid Force Pads and nothing else except the rare instance I'll revert back to the Hexlogic Pads I have if I fail to clean up my force pads.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to try something new

Compound: Sonax Cut Max

Polish: Sonax EX 04-06. If you like a little dust then Sonax Perfect Finish.

Meguiar’s M205 and Optimum Hyper Polish are other good options.

Degreaser: possibly Optimum Power Clean

11. Likes dwaleke, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, a lot of good options. I think I'm going to pick up the smaller bottles from the compounds mentioned. My parents have a black Infiniti that has seen nothing but a drive thru car wash for the past 3 years, should make for good spots to test on.

My issue with the FG400 is that it likes the 4 setting on the flex to finish out great. For some strange reason, I like the flex around the 5.5 setting, it keeps me more engaged and focused. Setting 4 or lower, I'm falling asleep.

I did find a new 8oz bottle of Wolfgang Uber compound and finishing glaze hiding in the back of my cabinet. I'll be working on a 55 T-Bird this weekend, lets see how long it takes before I reach back for the FG400.

Thanks again for all the helpful info, I'll post pictures of the T-Bird this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk