autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Demo Test Vehicle

Hey guys. A while back I wrote a post about how I started my detailing business and how I learned to compound/polish on wholesale vehicles from a car lot I used to work for. Anyway. Some of you showed interest in this. So I got another demo vehicle this week if any of you are curious of how much it will take to burn through paint with a DA or a rotary? What certain products will do? Or whatever you want to see done to a vehicle that you were curious about? Here’s your chance. Aside from busting out the windows or blowing it up I’m good to go.

2. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Demo Test Vehicle

It would be interesting to see the difference in time on a burn through on a flat panel and on an edge or curved panel. With both a DA and a rotary. If you have one temperature meter to monitor it would be awesome to. And on the flat panels the difference between wool cutting pad and mf cutting pad and foam cutting pad. I have seen tests where it's started to smoke from the paint with rotary and foam cutting pad combo LOL. If you use a deminishing abrasive compound. Reload with compound regualar to have the most cut from it in the beginning. That could also be a test do with a non deminishing abrasive and then deminishing abrasive compounds. Where you cut with a short cycle so the deminishing abrasive don't break down fully. And see what difference you get. And maybe overwork the compounds to see if any difference from them.

It can be alot of different testing. But have fun and go crazy LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    It would be interesting to see the difference in time on a burn through on a flat panel and on an edge or curved panel. With both a DA and a rotary. If you have one temperature meter to monitor it would be awesome to. And on the flat panels the difference between wool cutting pad and mf cutting pad and foam cutting pad. I have seen tests where it's started to smoke from the paint with rotary and foam cutting pad combo LOL. If you use a deminishing abrasive compound. Reload with compound regualar to have the most cut from it in the beginning. That could also be a test do with a non deminishing abrasive and then deminishing abrasive compounds. Where you cut with a short cycle so the deminishing abrasive don't break down fully. And see what difference you get. And maybe overwork the compounds to see if any difference from them.

It can be alot of different testing. But have fun and go crazy LOL.
    Sounds like a good one. I’m sure I have a temperature gauge around here somewhere. The edge would be a good one. I’ll test out both suggestions. I’ve done about everything imaginable to these vehicles. I was just kind of taking requests for anyone that wanted to see what a certain machine, product or pad would do in certain situations. But showing how long it will burn through the edge will be a good one.

5. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A fresh video on the topic, with smoking burnt paint (at 17:45): YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

While I can't video it I could grab a wrinkled hood from our Body Shop and give it a whirl and time it

I know I can burn a bumper down to black in less than 15 seconds with a white compou d pad and a rotary
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”