autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Curved Edge Pads

With all the info available online, I don’t see much info on using curved pads on a rotary. Are these for pros only? I have such a hard time getting my DA polishers to keep spinning in the convex curves of some cars with side panels like an Audi A5 so I thought I would try these. I have a few of the lake country curved edge gold pads and the first time I tried to use them ended in frustration really fast. Using the flex pe14. Thanks.

CCS 7.5 foam pads, lake country 7.5 inch pads, 7 inch ccs foam pads, ccs pads by lake country, lake country mfg, lake country manufacturing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Curved Edge Pads

Isn't the whole premise behind the curved edge pads just that the pad protects the backing plate so you can tilt the buffer into tight places? I don't use a rotary, but we use the LC Hydro Force pads on forced rotation buffers. They also have a curved edge.

Post Thanks / Like

The Flex 3401 will work on curved panels with ease. I do believe that Rupes and Makita now have a Forced Orbital Rotation DA. I would look into this if you do a lot of detailing. If not, the pads as well as technique are the only other options. I know how you feel! I have a Pc7424XP and worked on a Porsche and it was a challenge. That was the car that made me upgrade to the Flex 3401 years ago. I have now delegated my PC7424XP as my Mini-DA and sealant/wax applicator.

But let us know how your results come out with what you are going to do.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I have little experience with rotaries or those pads, but it may help others to help you if they knew what was frustrating about them.

Post Thanks / Like

Most likely frustrated trying to use a rotary without a lot of experience versus actually being frustrated with the pads.

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience using that large a pad on a random orbital is less than desirable, both in reaults and user experience.

This again illustrates my affinity for the green Buff and Shine foam. It will contour, and it has some bite.

Meguiar's Microfiber cutting disc and Buff and Shine Uro-Fiber pad might work too, because the interface foam is soft enough to contour as well.

The best spin I've experienced comes from the Lake Country Hydrotech line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZiggyPopp View Post
    With all the info available online, I don’t see much info on using curved pads on a rotary. Are these for pros only? I have such a hard time getting my DA polishers to keep spinning in the convex curves of some cars with side panels like an Audi A5 so I thought I would try these. I have a few of the lake country curved edge gold pads and the first time I tried to use them ended in frustration really fast. Using the flex pe14. Thanks.

CCS 7.5 foam pads, lake country 7.5 inch pads, 7 inch ccs foam pads, ccs pads by lake country, lake country mfg, lake country manufacturing

If you were trying to do any correcting I can understand you being frustrated, the gold pads are almost always Jeweling pads..
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    Most likely frustrated trying to use a rotary without a lot of experience versus actually being frustrated with the pads.
    Yes you are correct. I use my rotary only for jeweling with menz 3800 so limited experience for sure with only flat pads.

I think these pads would work better for me if I were to use a flexible backing plate which I do not have.