autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Question Resin On My Hood

2007 F-150, Dark Blue Pearl Metallic

About a week ago my son used a RAIN-X chip repair kit to fix a chip in my windshield. The wind blew the resin tube across my hood leaving a few spots of resin on my hood. It was not noticed because the resin is clear. By the time it had dried it was night and we didn't see it for a couple of days later. These are the products we used to try to remove it;
    Industrial alcohol wipes, GOO-OFF, non acetone fingernail polish remover, and rubbing compound. It feels almost as hard or harder than JB WELD. I don't want to try and pick at it for fear of removing the paint. Any suggestions or ideas on how to remove it are greatly appreciated.

The anticipation of death is worse than death itself!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Resin On My Hood

This may be a long shot, but have you ever cut a run out of clear coat with a razor blade.

If not i understand, it's process used by painters to quickly knock down the bulk of a run before sanding and buffing.

My guess is it wil need cut down sanded then polished. If that's not something you are comfortable doing yourself

Maybe find a trusted painter in your area, it shouldn't be to that difficult for most experienced paint and body people .

3. Thanks DaveT435 thanked for this post
    Likes DaveT435 liked this post
    Dislikes DaveT435 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Resin On My Hood

Quote Originally Posted by Strong66 View Post
    This may be a long shot, but have you ever cut a run out of clear coat with a razor blade.

If not i understand, it's process used by painters to quickly knock down the bulk of a run before sanding and buffing.

My guess is it wil need cut down sanded then polished. If that's not something you are comfortable doing yourself

Maybe find a trusted painter in your area, it shouldn't be to that difficult for most experienced paint and body people .
    I found this video online. Is this a process I should try, with the razor blade?

YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

I have never used the technique in that video, it could work if the resin isn't bonded very well.

Thats not the technique I've used, and I'm afraid me trying to explain how to do it would be confusing at best.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing since that product is designed to stick to glass it has a pretty solid bond. I think Strong's method is probably your best shot.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

I contacted the detailer in the video I posted and talked to him about the resin on my hood. He explained to me how he does his removal with a razor blade and how I should prepare my razor blade to do the same. He stated that it should take the resin off. I will keep you posted.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Resin On My Hood

UPDATE;

This AM, I used the razor blade method on my hood that the detailer used in his video to remove the foam epoxy from the paint. He told me to prepare my razor blade by passing it back and forth over my windshield and then remove the resin from my hood. IT WORKED! The resin came off like it was the feel of taking off dirt. Next time my son details my truck I will take pics. Unless y'all want some sooner.