autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Free spin on rupes mark2?

On the washer mod, on the mark2s, and the dielectric grease on the shroud, would the dielectric grease spin the backing plate as freely as with the washer mod?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Free spin on rupes mark2?

Quote Originally Posted by Indiglofish61 View Post
    On the washer mod, on the mark2s, and the dielectric grease on the shroud, would the dielectric grease spin the backing plate as freely as with the washer mod?
    In free spin, no.

On paint, it's close.

Be advised that the Rupes foam cutting pads / polishes are all but useless on a modded tool. The super stiff, open cell Rupes blue, green, and grey pads will spit polish all over the work area on a modded tool.

With the tool used as intended it maximizes the effectiveness of the aggressive foams because it regulates and balances the rotations with the oscillations. They're going for a 50/50 to achieve the perfect blend of cut and finish.

Every time I use my Rupes stuff I use without the washer mod. I've tried it modded plenty of times, to cut down on maintenance (shroud replacement / greasing), but when I do that I can't use the aggressive foams, and I hate the feel.

Unfortunately a lot of guys never realize the benefits of the Rupes system because the FIRST thing they do is stick a washer in it. Then use their preferred pads and liquids...

The Rupes line is for real. I use my PC/megs/Buff and Shine set up a lot more, but the Rupes is more potent, giving a great result in less time. I tend to reserve it for high end jobs.

3. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    In free spin, no.

On paint, it's close.

Be advised that the Rupes foam cutting pads / polishes are all but useless on a modded tool. The super stiff, open cell Rupes blue, green, and grey pads will spit polish all over the work area on a modded tool.

With the tool used as intended it maximizes the effectiveness of the aggressive foams because it regulates and balances the rotations with the oscillations. They're going for a 50/50 to achieve the perfect blend of cut and finish.

Every time I use my Rupes stuff I use without the washer mod. I've tried it modded plenty of times, to cut down on maintenance (shroud replacement / greasing), but when I do that I can't use the aggressive foams, and I hate the feel.

Unfortunately a lot of guys never realize the benefits of the Rupes system because the FIRST thing they do is stick a washer in it. Then use their preferred pads and liquids...
    I 100% agree. I was guilty of this as well as I’m sure most people are too. But the Rupes system is no joke. Once I bought into their system I’ve used it on most vehicles that come through the shop. After reading up on their research. I feel more confident in them and what they do. They make everything in-house and they spend thousands of hours testing their products. So it’s safe to say they know what they are doing. But everyone has their own preference.

But if you are just starting out with Rupes. Why not try it without washer mod and try their pads and polish? You are going to have to get pads and polish anyway. You might as well start out with their system and experiment from there.

5. Likes oneheadlite, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Free spin on rupes mark2?

@dlc95. Are people these days still insisting on using a Rupes 21 with a 5” backing plate? Is that easily attainable? Or even possible on the MKll?

I still remember that youngster that came on here a while back who was all hyped about his new Rupes MKll purchase... Except he decided to take advice from elsewhere and bought a bunch of Hex Logic pads and V36 or whatever to go with it. Smh.🤦🏻

7. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquish Auto View Post
    I 100% agree. I was guilty of this as well as I’m sure most people are too. But the Rupes system is no joke. Once I bought into their system I’ve used it on most vehicles that come through the shop. After reading up on their research. I feel more confident in them and what they do. They make everything in-house and they spend thousands of hours testing their products. So it’s safe to say they know what they are doing. But everyone has their own preference.

But if you are just starting out with Rupes. Why not try it without washer mod and try their pads and polish? You are going to have to get pads and polish anyway. You might as well start out with their system and experiment from there.
    Another point is that once you crest the learning curve, it gets even easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    @dlc95. Are people these days still insisting on using a Rupes 21 with a 5” backing plate? Is that easily attainable? Or even possible on the MKll?

I still remember that youngster that came on here a while back who was all hyped about his new Rupes MKll purchase... Except he decided to take advice from elsewhere and bought a bunch of Hex Logic pads and V36 or whatever to go with it. Smh.����
    I think most are going with the 15 mk2 these days. You can use the 15 mk2 plate on the 21 mk2.

Lol, kids....!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

I still remember that youngster that came on here a while back who was all hyped about his new Rupes MKll purchase... Except he decided to take advice from elsewhere and bought a bunch of Hex Logic pads and V36 or whatever to go with it. Smh.����
    Some people have to learn from their own mistakes before they see the big picture.