autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why Do Folks Use Multiple DA Polisher?

Good morning everyone. Being a newbie to all of this, I wonder why folks purchase and use several DA polishers. When working on a car as a hobbies, a Craftsman ratchet will work just as well as a Mac, Matco, or Snap-On if they are the same length without one being longer or shorter than another. If you have two or three DA Polishers that are all free spinning models, all have a five inch backing plate, all have speed adjustments, etc, why are three different models needed? Lets say for example that you own a Porter Cable 7424XP that you have owned for a few years and it still is mechanically fine, why would you upgrade to a Flex or Rupes machine? These are newbie questions and I am trying to learn. Thank you for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why Do Folks Use Multiple DA Polisher?

In some cases and for a number of reasons it's sort of like why does somebody go from a Chevy Impala to a Mercedes 300 series?

Probably word of mouth, reviews, dissatisfaction with certain qualities of less expensive machines, some start with a 7424, or GG6, then graduate to a Flex-Rupes-Boss-Etc and often relegate the earlier bought machine to smaller Plates-Pads for smaller-tighter areas.

Many reasons I guess. Some who do it professionally of course cannot rely on just one machine in their arsenal, when time is money. Have a machine go down in the middle of a customer's detail, a pro would then be in some deep doo doo without being able to successfully complete the job.

To others it's a hobby, and like a hobby such as musical instruments, amateur astronomy, shooting, fishing, hobbyists often have more than one telescope, more than one firearm, more than one guitar, snare drum, fishing rod-reel, etc etc, you get the picture.

3. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the reply. That is what I was thinking. The main reason is "just because". I was not sure if there was a technical reason for it such as a free spinning DA does better on certain panels or contours while a forced rotation unit is better for other areas of a vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    In some cases and for a number of reasons it's sort of like why does somebody go from a Chevy Impala to a Mercedes 300 series?

Probably word of mouth, reviews, dissatisfaction with certain qualities of less expensive machines, some start with a 7424, or GG6, then graduate to a Flex-Rupes-Boss-Etc and often relegate the earlier bought machine to smaller Plates-Pads for smaller-tighter areas.

Many reasons I guess. Some who do it professionally of course cannot rely on just one machine in their arsenal, when time is money. Have a machine go down in the middle of a customer's detail, a pro would then be in some deep doo doo without being able to successfully complete the job.

To others it's a hobby, and like a hobby such as musical instruments, amateur astronomy, shooting, fishing, hobbyists often have more than one telescope, more than one firearm, more than one guitar, snare drum, fishing rod-reel, etc etc, you get the picture.

Post Thanks / Like

So have owned pretty much every brand polisher and have had 7 machines at once in my arsenal they all have a part in the pie. Can I do basically 99% of my work with one machine..well yes but is hot swapping faster and save more time?? Sure does. So for example the PC has a smaller bell housing but the same throw as my GG6 so on some cars I can't get that spot under the side mirrors with the GG6 so I grab the PC.

As already said I can't have one go down in the middle of a job and then be left dead in the water so back ups are much needed but at the second time, each car and paint system is different as well. So some like the long throws on large flat panels and then a 8mm on the curves.

Some people cut with a rotary or a flex and then finish with a long throws, others it's more of feeling. In my case and a huge reason I got rid of my rupes was the feeling, I do not like the feeling of the trigger and head grip. The BOSS machines were the most comfortable machines to hold especially if if was for long polishing sessions but the stalls annoyed me so I ended up with just multiple GG6 machines and then my PC.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

6. Likes DBAILEY, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In some instances one particular DA isn't the best tool for the job. If you're working on super soft paint, a 21mm throw polisher won't be your best option as it creates more heat than a 15mm or 8mm throw. On soft paint an 8mm throw polisher might finish better. The opposite is true when working on hard paint. In these scenarios, it goes with the old saying "its better to have and not need, than need and not have"

Post Thanks / Like

My GG 6 is sufficient. I detail friends cars, and they usually help so the 2nd polisher is the ticket. I also find that a rotary is also a welcomed addition for those severely neglected vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like

Why does a wood worker have more than one chisel, saw, or wood plane? Why do musicians have more than one instrument?

They are tools in the tool-box. Each system has different characteristics. The Griot's BOSS and Rupes Tools were build as "total systems" with specific pads and chemicals designed with the tool. Larger throw means you'll cover more area while working.. Smaller systems like PE8 or iBird NANO are for getting into those tight spots you can't get the bigger tools into.

Then there is redundancy, no one likes to have a tool fail in the middle of a job, but when it happens, (and sometimes it does), it's nice to be able to complete the job by reaching into the tool-box and grabbing another tool. "Preparation meets opportunity." ~ Neil Peart, Rush.

They are just that, "tools," and like any craftsman, it's good to have more than one tool in the tool box. My dad used to say, "you have to use the right tool for the right job."

Hope this helps!

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I just wanna get job done ASAP, Flex 3401.
    When I wanna enjoy getting the job done, Rupes 15 mk2.
    When I have large, flat surfaces (vans and such) Griots BOSS21
    Little spaces: Rupes Mini
    Apply wax/Sealant (doesn't happen often) GG6

Had a Duetto for a month or so, seemed redundant with the above so sold it.

12. Likes oneheadlite, DBAILEY, SWETM, dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to cut in around a panel with small pads doing all the small areas first. Matching the pad size, shape and throw to whatever I am working on. Then I will do the bigger flatter section with a 15mm, 21mm or forced rotation machine. I do not like edging my machines. I think that causes premature pad and backing plate failure. I would rather use the right size pad and throw. So I have all my machines ready to go. I may decide that I have no use for this or that machine on a particular car. I do not like to keep stopping to change backing plates so all my DA's are set with a certain sized BP. I only swap out BP on my rotaries.

14. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I STILL use my PC7424XP as my Mini-DA and sealant or wax applicator. However, I bought the Flex 3401 as my primary DA. What I did notice right away is what took about 8 - 12 hours to do a complete correction on a ride (compound/polish) was reduced by 50% with the Flex 3401. That alone is one of the reasons why I think it was a great decision to get another DA.

I went with the Flex as it was the only Forced Rotational DA (at the time I bought it) and I did not want another free float DA. IMO it was the best decision I have made. OTHERS may have a different opinion, however, this is MY OPINION.

If you enjoy detailing and work on vehicles on a regular basis, I would highly recommend getting an upgraded DA like the Flex or Rupes or Griot's. You can't go wrong with their stronger DA's. You will reduce your correcting times and seeing quicker results of your work which is always a good thing.

So it's up to you if you decide to upgrade, but the great thing is you have many choices available. Today's DA's like the brands I mentioned above are the powerhouses of the industry.

Now that I have stated my 2 cents worth, the most important thing out of all of this is:

Welcome to AGO! You will find out this is one of the most friendliest forums around. Whatever you decide to do, let us know!

Keep on Rocking!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast