autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Grease in rupes mark2?

I had a torq torq 22dand it was recommended to remove the factory grease on the main gear and replace it with any auto store grease which would be better then the factory grease they put in, I was wondering would I need to sometime down the road to replace the gear grease on the rupes lhr21 mark2, or would that be neccessary?

Post Thanks / Like

Greasing mark2 backing plate?

I am new on here so I have lots of ?s, lol. So here's another, the grease to grease the backing plate on the rupes lhr21 mark2, they say dielectric grease, I have connector grease for car sparkplug connectors, it says its dielectric, then it says its 100% pure silicone grease, so I am guessing that silicone grease would be ok? Am I correct?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Greasing mark2 backing plate?

You might try confining all your grease related questions to a single thread. As for your question, I don't know, it's never occurred to me to take apart a brand new tool and replace the grease.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    As for your question, I don't know, it's never occurred to me to take apart a brand new tool and replace the grease.
    He’s not talking about taking his polisher apart or replacing any grease... He’s talking about lubricating the shroud.

Quote Originally Posted by Indiglofish61 View Post
    it says its 100% pure silicone grease, so I am guessing that silicone grease would be ok? Am I correct?
    Yes, you’re correct. Silicone grease is exactly what you want to use. This is the tube of silicone grease that came included with the Griots Garage Boss 21 polisher to grease the exact same thing you’re talking about.

Best way to do it is put a little bit if the grease on your fingertip and dab it along the end ring of the shroud, just enough to have some on there and not too much. Don’t apply it to the backing plate or you might wind up making a little mess.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grease in rupes mark2?

IMO replacing the grease in any polisher is completely unnecessary. Those people who talk about replacing the grease in the HF DA [and in this case the TorqX] are wasting their time and any gained advantage will be minuscule. They claim the HF DA is loud unless you replace the grease... But if those clowns would simply do a decibel test against the other so called “better and smoother running” polishers, they’d find out that they all make the same amount of noise and the HF polisher isn’t any louder at all.

I’ve done a decibel test and posted it on here a while back. Both the HF DA and the Griots Boss 21 measure in @69 decibels running at full speed. Don’t waste your time replacing the grease.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post

You might try confining all your grease related questions to a single thread.

Correct. There's no need to start two threads on the same topic.

I will merge the two separate but same topic threads.

Mike Phillips

Done.

As for your question, if it were me, YES I would use a thin film of dielectric grease or any thing oily and slippery on the back of the backing plate to lubricate the backing plate and the rubber shroud that's used for so many of these tools.

If nothing else, it will prevent little chunks of rubber from being spit out while buffing.

8. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For the first HF DA that I had I changed the grease, but not the second one. I did think it changed the tone or pitch of the noise that it made something less annoying, but very true that it wasn't that much quieter. I think that many people opened theirs up to find hardly any grease at all, so everyone started doing it as a precaution assuming that theirs' was one with little grease. Then it became standard to do it. I haven't bothered to mod my second HF DA at all.

I sure hope that would not be a problem with a $400-500 Rupe's machine. If you're not using the washer mod then grease the shroud.

Post Thanks / Like

The first question asked was grease on the drive gears. I would suspect initially on high quality machines this would not be needed for quite some time. I never tore apart a Rupes, or Flex Polisher, or seen Schematics of them, but would assume they use of a number of Sealed Bearings versus Bushings of some kind.

There's then no benefit from grease on Sealed Bearings, but would be on the Drive Gears themselves, or Bushings, lessening wear on them over time. And another slight benefit could be smoother and quieter operation.

Centrifugal force and heat will eventually sling protecting greases away from gears over time. I noticed that on my baby Griots 3" after only one use when I operated on it once.

If you are adept mechanically, and the machine is out of warrantee, I see no harm-foul in maintaining such machines periodically.

11. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

@OP. You’re welcome...