autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

CarPro C-Quartz / Reload help needed

Over the weekend I applied two coats of C-Quartz followed by one coat of Reload to my wife's black C7 Corvette. Although I have been detailing cars for decades, this is the first time I used C-Quartz. The panels were well prepped and polished and I went over the car with Eraser prior to the application. I had a well lit area in my garage and everything looked great, that is until I pulled the car out into the sun today. I noticed several places were there were dark patches and/or streaks streaks (See pictures below). Is this from the C-Quartz or the Reload? Will these go away as the product cures or will I have to polish the areas down and re-apply C-Quartz? Finally, what is the best way to avoid this happening in the future? Non-metallic black was probably not the best color to try this on (not to mention being my wife's DD). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Todd

CarPro C-Quartz / Reload help needed-img_0611-jpg

CarPro C-Quartz / Reload help needed-img_0631-jpg

CarPro C-Quartz / Reload help needed-img_0632-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CarPro C-Quartz / Reload help needed

Most likely it's from the reload, you can polish off the reload with some car pro essence plus.....then more reload.
    Glen -

3. Likes DetailedByPrecision, RippyD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You either have a high spot from not leveling the coating or from Reload. Reload is prone to streaking if too much is used and not all is wiped off.

How did the paint look after the coating? Could you see any high spots?

Two towels seems to work best with Reload.

If you polish it off with Essence then you will also remove the base layer coating. Been there, done that with a high spot of Cquartz.

5. Likes rlmccarty2000, Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Guz is right. It could be the coating or it could be the topper. From your description of “streaking” I’m going to guess it’s the Reload. High spots are usually dark blotches rather than long streaks. The Reload will wear off in time. You can try to even it out with more Reload, just buff the hell out of it with a clean microfiber. I have heard reports of the streaks going away after awhile, but I have never witnessed this phenomenon.

With Reload it’s best to spray onto one towel and apply and wipe/buff off with a second clean towel. Personally I would dilute Reload with distilled water to cut down on any streaking or like some of us just quit using Reload.

7. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful car.

We will assume you waited the prerequisite times for leveling CQuartz after applying, and then when finally topping with Reload. Usually a minute or two max to level, and the bare minimum of 1 hour after full application before applying Reload. I have never done 2 coats of CQuartz, one is usually sufficient.

I would maybe first try a wipe down with water dampened MF Towels. If that wouldn't get it, I might be inclined to try another detailer product and see if either will cure any possible ill effects from Reload.

In other words I wouldn't be so hasty to yank polisher and other products just yet.

There's been some that have had problems with Reload streaking and also causing dark areas, and this might possibly be exasperated on darker colors.

You might consider trying-switching to Blackfire Coating Booster, or their SiO2 Spray. Seems nobody's having such streaking issues with either of these products.

I'm usually not one to buck a manufacturer's procedures and believed to be orthodox application methods, but also feel that any such other mild products would not have any ill effects on the CQuartz Coating once dried.

Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Carpro essence plus will remove the streaking and not harm the coating. Ive done it within hours of applying cquartz before for testing and no negative effects.

Click on image to view work

Post Thanks / Like

I asked CarPro about this situation, if it is in fact the coating that is hazed or streaked you can use Essence Plus to fix the area and it won't damage the coating. Essence plus has no abrasives in it, if you use essence it will fix the issue but you will have to reapply the cquartz. You may want to try to just wipe the area with eraser and see if it's just the reload.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like one of these posts pops up at least every week. I have no doubt that done right, a coating is the way to go. But man it just seems like such a process and risk for a little bit longer protection.

I still think I'll stick to my annual polish and seal with the polymer spray on topper every month or so.

beautiful car btw.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

12. Likes glen e, pdl2mtl90 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Belo, don't be scared to try a coating, I was the same way at first. A coating is the way to go if you like protection that lasts. Don't let some of these threads deter you from doing one. If you use proper lighting and inspect your work in small areas, you will have no problems. Its very easy to do.

IMO, the coating might subdue annual polishing for you, saving your clear coat even more. In my experience, a yearly decon/reset wash and my vehicle is as good as the day I coated it. Your experience may vary due to different driving conditions.

I've used Reload on my GM black before. You will cause streaking if you overuse and not use a separate dry towel to wipe. Its a very easy fix. Go over again with a bit more liberal of a process and use a separate towel to wipe. Otherwise, as others have said, you can wait and the streaking will disappear over time. (Has been the case in my experience) If the OP hasn't touched the paint since last inspection, I almost bet the streaking has disappeared. Reload has a learning curve if you don't follow their directions. A little goes a long way. Carpro products are very concentrated and thats not a bad thing! You could dilute the product (distilled water) and get even more bang for your buck.

Post Thanks / Like

Been there and done that. The facts are you as the applier will always miss a spot. Key factors that go into coatings:

Temp/humidity
    Have lots of towels - I use an entire bag of CarPro Sued Towels for one vehicle. For every CarPro Towel, I use a Gold Plush Jr. to follow up with (two towel method).
    Use swirl finder lights to review your area. The big culprits will be the adjoining panels to the one you're working on. Make sure you inspect the entire area.
    Have a second person go behind you with a towel and looking. Two sets of eyes are better than one.

For Reload - Use the Ultima Autospa MF Applicator to apply, use two towel method to wipe.

15. Likes The Guz liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast