autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Mobile business owners

Did an exterior and interior detail today. Since I just started recently I'd like to know if my pricing is correct.

Questions:
    1. Do you guys price or bill tar removal separately? I noticed that after ironx and clay that I was left with still a lot of tar to remove.

2. There were a lot of pet hair in the interior. Removed most of them but is this typically part of interior detail package?

Thanks!

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Mobile business owners

Quote Originally Posted by Jon TDS View Post
    Did an exterior and interior detail today. Since I just started recently I'd like to know if my pricing is correct.

Questions:
    1. Do you guys price or bill tar removal separately? I noticed that after ironx and clay that I was left with still a lot of tar to remove.

2. There were a lot of pet hair in the interior. Removed most of them but is this typically part of interior detail package?

Thanks!

Tar removal is always case by case. It depends on the amount. If it’s ridiculous, I’ll charge extra.

When it comes to pet hair, I factor it all into the overall cost.

You can spend a great amount of time removing pet hair. Some people will state that they are not seeking perfection. But still, I’m a detailer. Some people do want near perfection. So I recently charged $300 for a pet hair interior only. Took me six hours for the interior. The first two was vacuuming.

2015 Ford Transit with three rows of seating. Pet hair was everywhere. IF you have seen the interior of this type of can, you’ll understand. I don’t see passenger Transits often. But what a task this turned out.

3. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mobile business owners

What area are you detailing?

Post Thanks / Like

On #1, what Dan said. Depends on the situation.

On #2, we have four levels of pet hair hell in our Square library. Price starts at $15 and goes to $60. Anything that I think that is going to be more than level 4 pet hair removal will be discussed with the customer beforehand. I've only gone to level 4 twice. I usually end up at level 1 or 2. Most people with a car full of pet hair have no problem with that. Just tell them beforehand so it's not a surprise because people hate surprises that cost them money.

6. Likes PaulMys, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. As a more general comment, it doesn’t matter to me if it’s sap, tar, paint, etc. my pricing is based on a thorough process and if that doesn’t remove the contaminant, then I do need to charge for the extra effort. Now if that effort is 5 minutes, I’m not going to hit them for it, but if it’s an extra 30-60 minutes, they will be charged. Usually I will discuss this with them before hand, and potentially do a quick test spot to get a better feel for the time required for specific contaminants. Finally, I will go over the vehicle with them after the normal process and show them what’s left and let them decide if the extra cost is worth it or not.

2. I manage expectations on pet hair and do charge extra in a similar fashion to above. If they are selling the car, I will charge more on the front end, if they are keeping the car and the pet, then I usually point out that it may not be worth it to get every last hair knowing that it will be back before long.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

8. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good point! Thanks guys! I guess setting expectations ahead of time is key.

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of do the opposite. If they're keeping the car and the pet and it's a car/customer that I'd like to work with again, I'll get as much of that pet hair out of the car as humanly possible. Then when I go over the car with them, I make sure they know how much work I did and suggest that if they continue to have it maintained in a regular manner, the pet hair removal will be much more manageable and less expensive in the future. This usually leads to some discussion about having us back more frequently than once in an alpaca exploded inside my car time frame that they're currently on. Because you should always be closing. That means closing the next job.

11. Thanks Jon TDS thanked for this post
    Likes Jon TDS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will say this, I used to work with the same broke dick Ridgid vac that everybody uses. Blah. We switched to the big $200 Shop Vac model that big blue carries and that thing pulls like you wouldn't believe. It's permanently mounted inside my trailer running 50' of pool hose on a crevice tool. I've never used a better vacuum.

Post Thanks / Like

Are U using a turbo brush attachment (brush roller spins by a turbine powered by the vacuum cleaner's suction) They remove pet hair like there's no tomorrow; however U still need to clean out the turbine & brush roller for maximum efficiency

It depends on the situation when it comes to tar & pet hair removal. If its just a bit of either tar and/or pet hair I dont charge extra; but if its excessively dirty & coated with pet hair or tar I charge depending on size of vehicle, time spent cleaning & other factors

Post Thanks / Like

Got a pic of that attachment?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast