autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with tar/blacktop stains

Hello all,
    first time poster long time lurker

I need some help.... I have these tar stain on my White car they only stick to the painted plastic parts. (There are no tar chunks, those came right off)

I live in a city that decided to do all road construction on every road this summer 2018, on Monday night I spent time and used the microfiber cutting system and after a while they came out.

List of things I have tried:
    Washing (these are within 12 hours old) I wiped the bulk tar pieces off 10 minutes after I went through construction with Waterless wash and wax.
    Clay
    Ultimate Wax
    Ultimate Polish on Yellow Foam pad
    Ultimate polish on heavy cut Foam pad
    Ultimate compound on Heavy cut Foam pad (this got most out)
    Ultimate compound on Microfiber cutting disk (this worked but I cant do that everytime or I wont have paint left)

Today after it happened I have tried:
    Bug and tar remover 2 different brands (letting it dwell for a good long while about 15 minutes)
    gasoline
    Hydrogen Peroxide (not really sure why but hey)
    goo off the heavy duty kind,
    kerosene

no luck......
    I hate seeing these spots and you cant really make them out from a foot or two away but brand new car and I dont want them there.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with tar/blacktop stains

Try Stoner's Tarninator. There's a great thread titled "Tar Covered Subaru BRZ" from a few days ago but I don't know how to link it from Tapatalk.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I think recommending he try another tar removing product is an absolute waste of time, as he already tried everything from tar remover to goof off to kerosene. It's stained the plastic, I think compounding is the only way to get it out. I have a customer with a 1968 Camaro SS with an LS2 in it. He loves burning rubber in it. The melted rubber flies onto the lower rear quarters and sticks. Even after we get all the rubber off, the paint is still stained. I've tried everything to get it out and the only thing that works is a light compounding. His car, not mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    I think recommending he try another tar removing product is an absolute waste of time, as he already tried everything from tar remover to goof off to kerosene. It's stained the plastic, I think compounding is the only way to get it out. I have a customer with a 1968 Camaro SS with an LS2 in it. He loves burning rubber in it. The melted rubber flies onto the lower rear quarters and sticks. Even after we get all the rubber off, the paint is still stained. I've tried everything to get it out and the only thing that works is a light compounding. His car, not mine.
    Have you tried this?

Mothers R3 Racing Rubber Remover, rubber scuff remover, boot scuff eraser

@OP. This is why you need a solid layer of protection on your vehicle, a good sealant might make a big difference in how easy you’re able to remove those marks.

Try a product called Rapid Remover.

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Have not tried this product yet but how would this do better than goo off or lacquer thinner
    I can compound these out then seal and wax ect... but then the next time I drive through construction they dont come off.

I obviously cannnot keep compounding or I will run out of paint. What can I do?

Also tried Stoners didn’t do anything.

Also have two coats of sealent wax and 2 quotes of carnuaba wax on there

Post Thanks / Like

You could try citrol 266 I'm not sure if ag sells it but it usually works where other products fail...kind of pricey though(to me anyways)

Sent from my Z982 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CMW View Post
    Also have two coats of sealent wax and 2 quotes of carnuaba wax on there
    IMO you shouldn’t do that... The wax probably removed the sealant, which has left you with the inferior protection of the wax.🤦🏻

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not a pro by any means but I was under the understanding as long as it was a true carnuba without any additives or polymers it won’t act as a cleaner wax more of just a top coat to the sealent. And even if I have just straight wax on the area I wiped the the spots five minutes into the drive when I got out of the car I would assume a wax would protect for 5 min even if there was no sealent.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cullen2505 View Post
    Try Stoner's Tarninator. There's a great thread titled "Tar Covered Subaru BRZ" from a few days ago but I don't know how to link it from Tapatalk.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    Hey OP - here's the thread that @cullen2505 is referring to, in case it helps with your tar issue: Tar Covered Subaru BRZ

Post Thanks / Like

Is there any workers at the construction place when you drive by? Try to ask them what they use and what chemicals they are cleaning it up with. Seems to be something that don't desolves with petroleum based products. Since you have tested those out thoroughly. It's different chemicals desolves different kind of dirt. So first try to find out what those little spots are. The recommended citrol degreaser can be an option to try. Since it's based on citrus oils it's effective to not just petroleum based dirt but to a wider kind based dirt. You can also try something high alkaline degreaser like Meguiars Super Degreaser d108. Otherwise you have have an acid based cleaner to try out too. And if you don't get any solution to take care of spots. The option to try out a protection that has a higher chemical resistant. And creates a sacrificial layer that the stain bonds to instead. That will get you a easier clean up with the polisher and a less aggressive combo that don't take off to much clearcoat.

I would also try a cleaner wax/AIO or a paint cleaner and see how that works. They have different chemical cleaners in them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast