autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Help & Advice Wanted For My First DA Polishing System

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and have already introduced myself in the section dedicated on the forum. I am here seeking advice on my first DA polishing system. I have been washing and waxing family vehicles since 1987 by hand. I am by no stretch a professional. I am a hubbies who just wants to take care of what my wife and I own. We have a 2012 Nissan Versa hatchback in black with 60K miles on it. I have washed, waxed, and detailed the car by hand myself. The car has swirl marks in the paint and I want to make those go away. Here is the deal.....I was born legally blind. I can see but certainly not well enough for detail or to drive the car. That being typed.....I am also on a limited budget. While I understand that a Porter Cable 7424XP is the yardstick that all other DA polishers are judged by, I simply do not have the income for a $200 or more system.

I would like your thoughts on the Mothers Wax Attack Two system. I am interested in that system for several reasons. It is $120 for a complete and ready to go kit. I can get refills of Mothers chemicals locally when I need them and do not have to wait if I make a mistake and run out of product. I am not a pro at this and therefor like the simplicity of compound, polish, wax. I do not have to focus on matching a pad with a compound or wonder if what I am doing is too harsh, will damage anything, etc. Remember that I can not see fine detail. My goal here is to make our car look as nice as I can using the limited vision that I do have. My goal is help make the car last a long time as it will never be in a show or be a trailer queen. For the money, my choices seem to be the Mothers Wax Attack two or the Meguires DA kit that hooks up to a drill. My guess is that both of those kits are for beginners and are pretty safe to use, they just go about what they do a little differently. Thank you for the help and advice.

Mike Phillips

Re: Help & Advice Wanted For My First DA Polishing System

Wrote this article just for people new to machine detailing...

it is LOADED with information, not just about the tool but all types of information you are going to want to know.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

Welcome to AGO!

3. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for the reply. I also enjoyed the article. I am trying to learn, so please forgive the newbie questions. What will the Garriots Garage or Porter Cable DA machines do that the Mothers Wax Attack kit will not?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lovenhim View Post
    Thank you very much for the reply. I also enjoyed the article. I am trying to learn, so please forgive the newbie questions. What will the Garriots Garage or Porter Cable DA machines do that the Mothers Wax Attack kit will not?
    Welcome to AGO, man!

The PC and the GG6" are much more powerful machines that will yield much better results in way less time.

I completely get your budget concerns, but IMO... Why blow 120 bucks on something you'll regret vs. around 220 for a complete set up that you'll have for years, and be very happy with?

I admire you very much for overcoming your limited vision and wanting to improve your vehicles appearances.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Hummm...

based on what you've said--- I'll start with Griots.

Griots 6" polisher is the best bang for the dollar!
    Get 5" backing plate for the polisher. Best all round size.
    Get the Boss pads---set of finishing pads and a set of polishing pads to start.
    Get Boss Correcting cream and the Boss finishing sealant.

You'll be very well covered for most if not all of your polishing needs.

And of course set of good microfiber towels.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

7. Likes PaulMys, VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I completed a detail on the NSX using Griots 6" polisher with 5" backing plate and Boss finishing sealant.

See attached:

92 Acura NSX

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    Hummm...

based on what you've said--- I'll start with Griots.

Griots 6" polisher is the best bang for the dollar!
    Get 5" backing plate for the polisher. Best all round size.
    Get the Boss pads---set of finishing pads and a set of polishing pads to start.
    Get Boss Correcting cream and the Boss finishing sealant.

You'll be very well covered for most if not all of your polishing needs.

And of course set of good microfiber towels.

Tom
    ^^What Tom said^^
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

11. Thanks TMQ thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of the Wax Attack!

Mike Phillips did a great short demonstration of one on the Autogeek YouTube channel.

I am one of those freaks that performs his services with the use of the ubiquitous Porter Cable 7424. Not even the current XP version either!

It does the job I need done. It is durable, reliable, and effective.

My set up includes:
    PC 7424
    Meguiar's M100 Pro Speed Compound
    Meguiar's M205 Ultra Finishing Polish
    Meguiar's M66 Quick Detailer or M06 Cleaner Wax
    M21 2.0 Synthetic Sealant
    M26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax - Paste

5" Buff and Shine d/a plate
    4" Buff and Shine d/a plate
    4 - 5.5" Buff and Shine Orange/Black microfiber pads
    4 - 5.5" Buff and Shine Green foam pads - General compounding / "One step" polishing
    4 - 5.5" Buff and Shine Blue foam pads - General polishing / Final finishing
    4 - 5.5" Buff and Shine Black foam pads - Cleaner Wax
    2 - 5.5" Buff and Shine Red foam pads - Sealant application.

I also have the same pad fornthe 4", with the exception of the red.

I also will use the Meguiar's Ultimate line, and Menzerna 400, 2500, and 3500 with Duragloss 111, 101, and 501 sealants, cleaner/sealants.

It works well for me.

If you want a potent 1 - 2 punch:
    Meguiar's 5" plate
    4 - Meguiar's 5" Microfiber cutting discs
    4 - Meguiar's 5" Yellow foam polishing pads
    2 - Meguiar's 5" Black foam finishing pads

Meguiar's D300 Microfiber Correction Compound
    Meguiar's M205 Ultra Finishing Polish
    Meguiar's M21 2.0 Synthetic Sealant.

Discaimer:
    For huge vehicles I usually use a Flex 3401. And for special interest vehicles I usually use my Rupes system of tools, polishes and pads.

That being said, I can use the PC set up for everything if need be!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the help so far. I feel like I should add some more information. I realize that a lot of guys like tools. The more the better. My cousin is an auto tech that works on the vans for the disabled folks like me who can not drive. Well, he has over the years purchased $100k plus of Snap On tools. Sure the box looks impressive, but how many of those tools does he really use on a daily basis while working on the same Ford E450 vans? I typed all that to type this......I am a simple person and prefer the approach of doing more with less. I am the value for the money, bang for the buck person. I still have my Craftsman tools from 25 years a go. I prefer the tried & true method. I prefer that to bleeding edge. Not to cause a debate or anything but if I were to buy a brand new pickup truck that I could not drive.....I would pick the Chevy over the Ford. Not because the Chevy is better, but because the truck uses proven parts that are in reality twenty years old now. The LS series of engines for example. Compare this to Ford's bleeding edge approach with a twin turbo V6 and aluminum bed. Will that turbo V6 last twenty years? We have no idea yet. That is what I am looking for in my first DA polisher purchase. A tool that is time tested, offers good value, is reliable as a wood burning stove, etc. It is for that reason when washing and waxing cars by hand as a hobby and enjoyment since 1987, I would stick with well known brands that I could buy at any local store. These days however you do have the internet and this great website/forum. The great people on this forum have helped me to wait a little longer and save up more money for my first DA polisher. I was hoping to get the $120 Mothers Wax Attack kit but am starting to see the value in a machine such as a Porter Cable 7424XP. That seems to be the go to machine that has been time tested. There is a lot to think about and the Griot's Garage machine is also a good value. I was really hoping to get into this for that $120 price point but that does not seem realistic. I think what I am going to have to do is expand the cost of getting into this with a kit and save for something under or around the $200 mark. I think that in the end if I do that I will end up with a better machine that will last me a long time as I am not a professional detailer and the machine would not be used for hours a day and everyday. Alright folks, how about a fun little game. How would the great folks on the forum like to put together kits for me in the $150-$200 price range? LOL That would include the machine, 5 inch backing plate, buffing pads, and any compound, polish, and wax I might need. Remember that I am working with a black Nissan hatchback which is not a big car. Thanks for the help. Let the games begin????? LOL

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe that a DA is not something to skimp on. I know the price seems steep, but if you can justify the time savings, toll on your body, what a pro would charge you etc. $200 isn't so bad.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast