autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question on McKees 37 coating, hell any coating for that matter...

I have my truck coated in McKees 37 coating, v2. I know if you cover the coating you're masking its benefits etc. But honestly, I used the coating to give scratch resistance more than anything. No matter what you use the vehicle will look better, just some things will help the clear coat more than others.

So with that being said and being that the truck is coated in McKees coating, Im wondering this. If I coat it in a carnuba will it still give that carnuba glow? Carnuba looks good on my truck since its a dark blue.... And like many here we cant NOT touch the paint with something...

At first I was paranoid about a wax degrading the coating since the waxes are still chemicals and they would or could degrade the coating over time. Im not sure if it would happen or not tho...

Has anyone threw a wax over a coating and gotten that glow Im after? Im okay with the glassy look, but love that glow aurora you can get from 'nubas.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question on McKees 37 coating, hell any coating for that matter...

Not trying to be a smart arse.. You should tape your hood down the middle and wax 1 side. Provide us with a detailed update including pics to see if there’s a visible difference and also provide us with the info on how you see the coating behave and if it survives being topped with a dedicated layer of wax. I for 1 would be interested in your results.

Post Thanks / Like

True but I honestly don't daily drive it so I won't have real world usage other than baking in the sun lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post
    True but I honestly don't daily drive it so I won't have real world usage other than baking in the sun lol
    They say baking in the sun melts carnauba wax and causes it to evaporate, so even more good reason for you to test it.

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't wax any coating but I have seen others do it. If you feel the need to then by all means go for it. A wax will not degrade a coating unless its an abrasive cleaner wax.

By the way don't by too much into the anti scratch claim of any coating. They are not impervious. They do help with wash induced marring though.

7. Likes PaulMys, BudgetPlan1, Hatchman, Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you wax a coated car, you will loose the properties of the coating and gain those of the wax while the wax is sitting on top of the coating.

So that usually means:
    - More depth of color
    - More glow to the paint

- Paint will not be as hydrophobic
    - Paint will not be as reflective
    - Paint will be much easier to get dirty
    - Paint will be harder to clean

So if you are ok with all this, there is no problem waxing a coated car. As others have mentionned, just make sure it's finishing wax, not a cleaner wax.

9. Likes Hatchman, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate it. I would coat it with FK great white wax/sealant, which is more sealant like. Or collinite, WDGPS etc. So basically a sealant. Although I have some super soft WOWO waxes like SSII, Fuzion etc.

I do want to try out that Megs HiTech yellow wax I have here... I heard it looks crazy good, just doesn't last

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if you getting any more glow carnuaba gloss from a sealant. I don't think that is the case. Do you like the looks of the sealant you are going to use then go for it. The properties of the sealant is what you get in combo with the coating looks wise. If you where to apply a real carnuaba wax or carnuaba hybrid. You would gain in the carnuaba glow and the coating looks. Something like Collinite 915 would be an interesting choice to see how it looks. It's the coating behavior that will suffer till the wax or sealant is completly gone.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that a wax on top of the coating will not hurt it, unless it is a cleaner wax. Also agree that the wax will attract dirt/dust and be harder to clean. Also, the wax is not going to last, especially if it is out in the hot sun and then a rain shower hits it while it is hot. The slick properties of the coating is going to help the wax to wash right off.

Question: Can you put another layer of coating over the current layer of coating to help deepen the shine? Any problems associated with layering coating? I've never done it, always just done one coat and so far haven't had to re-coat, but wondering if I should add another layer of coating, or "boost" the coating with something else?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    I agree that a wax on top of the coating will not hurt it, unless it is a cleaner wax. Also agree that the wax will attract dirt/dust and be harder to clean. Also, the wax is not going to last, especially if it is out in the hot sun and then a rain shower hits it while it is hot. The slick properties of the coating is going to help the wax to wash right off.

Question: Can you put another layer of coating over the current layer of coating to help deepen the shine? Any problems associated with layering coating? I've never done it, always just done one coat and so far haven't had to re-coat, but wondering if I should add another layer of coating, or "boost" the coating with something else?
    You can add a topper product like Reload or Polish Angel. Both can found in the AG store. Great for folks who like doing something to the paint and they're supposed to increase the longevity of your coating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast