autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Windows, weird behavior

Okay so I made a post awhile back about how using ceriglass had effected my windows, and it was driving me nuts because d156 was how I maintained my windshield.

I’ve been slowly cleaning up a Honda Pilot for my gfs dad. Today I did a few panels, and while I was working the driver side door I hit the window with Ultimate Compound on a meguiars burgundy pad. They had a gross film on them it took off, and I was happy and moved on.

When I finished up I applied one of the various waxes I’m trying to use up to the few panels, and applied d156 to the window after two IPA wipedowns.

It has been raining on and off so I went to check on it in the rain (I like beads, don’t judge me) when I went out into the garage for something.

The window wasn’t beading water at all. It was just a completely flat sheet of water. I grabbed my d156 and applied it again. Then another time just for good measure.

At this point I also had the hose out and I was spraying down the window, just because I couldn’t believe this was happening after using just a compound. The fact it’s happening after compounding makes me think ceriglass isn’t what’s causing it on my windshield, but I still have no idea what it could be.

My d156 froze over the winter, partially. The very top of it did in the gallon jug, anyway. So with that in mind I grabbed two other spray wax type products and tried them in its place. One had been mixed with distilled water and sitting, and had no effect. The other I mixed up fresh hoping maybe that would save the day. Nothing.

Spraying down the window, you can see the water just sticking to it. You can also see the door panel that was waxed doing it’s best and probably crying out “why are you doing this to me.”

No beading at all. Completely flat.

Does anyone have any idea at all what the heck is going on here? It’s driving me nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Windows, weird behavior

No judgement here, I’m also guilty of checking water behavior on a parked car in the rain...

Haven’t had this happen, so just spitballing- Have you tried going over the window with a synthetic clay or a magic eraser? Wondering if maybe something from the Ultimate Compound has kind of bonded to the glass?

You wouldn’t think anything like that should stick after a couple rounds of IPA, just thinking maybe abrading the glass gave it something to grab hold of?

If that doesn’t work, maybe try a polish? I know glass is (obviously) hard stuff and you wouldn’t think it should change anything, but in your shoes it’s probably be next on my “Well, why not try this?” List.

Is it only the one window that did that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Haven’t had this happen, so just spitballing- Have you tried going over the window with a synthetic clay or a magic eraser? Wondering if maybe something from the Ultimate Compound has kind of bonded to the glass?
    I clayed prior to compounding it, but I can see if going over it improves what’s going on. I could also try a magic eraser and various cleaners. Maybe start with some rinseless wash and work up to an APC if that’s not doing anything.

You wouldn’t think anything like that should stick after a couple rounds of IPA, just thinking maybe abrading the glass gave it something to grab hold of?
    That’s what i figured as well, but I guess anything is possible. One thought was maybe I overworked the compound, but I just gave it 3 quick passes with barely any pressure.

If that doesn’t work, maybe try a polish? I know glass is (obviously) hard stuff and you wouldn’t think it should change anything, but in your shoes it’s probably be next on my “Well, why not try this?” List.

Is it only the one window that did that?
    I could try a polish. I’ve had the same results using a polish on my windshield after using ceriglass tho, so i won’t expect any miracles.

Yeah it’s just that one. I did the front clip and the drivers side door yesterday, so I just hit the window on the door while I was there.

When I emailed carpro about reasons why nothing will stick to my window after using ceriglass I was told it’s because the window is too smooth now.

I’m not sure that’s the problem given what’s happening right now with this other window after just compounding. It’s not like I used a particularly aggressive combo, and there’s gotta be no way I actually shaved off any glass with UC.

Maybe if I figure this window out I’ll be able to do the same thing on my window and go back to that spray wax life.

Post Thanks / Like

Gonna head out and see what happens. 🤞🏻

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely no change.

Tried the eraser with UWW+, then megs APC. Then hit the window by hand with UP, then followed that up with the eraser/apc combo before finishing it off with an IPA wipe.

If anyone has any ideas at all, please chime in. This is starting to get under my skin Windows, weird behavior

Post Thanks / Like

Anecdotal, but I've also read about people having difficulty getting coatings to adhere to glass that's been intensely polished. I'd assume that might translate to sealants. Carnauba might be your best bet on passenger and rear glass.

Post Thanks / Like

What gets me is that I wouldn't even consider what I did intensely polishing.. When I used Ceri-glass with the Rayon pads on my windshield, sure. I was bearing down, and it was very taxing. But this window was just a few quick passes with a compound and a cutting pad. just enough pressure to keep the machine on the window.

What's frustrating is that I know rain-x will work if I put it on there. It works on my windshield, but what bothers me is that I'm not really interested in using something like rain x when any spray wax/sealant usually does a decent job, and has a much nicer user experience.

I'm just not really sure where to go from here in terms of troubleshooting.

Post Thanks / Like

Windows, weird behavior

Huh what’s going on here I’m like a deer in headlights right now

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ClearVue18 View Post
    Huh what’s going on here I’m like a deer in headlights right now

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    You and me both, buddy

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Fin.

I'm at a loss here, bro.

Albeit controversial, have you considered steel wool?

I think I remember Eldo commenting on it's use, but I'm not positive and don't want to put him on the spot.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast