autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Zap cloth, terrible streaking.

Like most people, I think doing the interior of the windshield is an absolute pain. So based on some members comments, I purchased a couple of zap cloths.

When I opened the cloth, I noticed in the directions that it may need to be rinsed a couple times before first use. I ran it under hot water, wrung it out, and repeated that process 10 times. I then cleaned the inside of the windshield of my truck. It was an overcast day and it appeared that the windshield was perfectly clear. However, driving to work in the dark this morning proved otherwise. With each street light or on coming car, I could see the nasty streaks this thing left. I've never had streaking this bad before.

Anyone else have this issue? I'm going to fix it tonight with my old method of 2-3 microfibers and a little invisible glass. I like a clear windshield and my commute drove me nuts.
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Zap cloth, terrible streaking.

I like to wipe down the interior glass first using a clean dry microfiber towel. Once the glass surface has been wiped down I like to spray the glass surface using the Blackfire Glass Cleaner and wipe it clean using a Waffle Weave Glass Towel.
    BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Glass Cleaning Kit

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had any luck finding a "one step" for windows so I always view them as a 2 step process - thorough cleaning followed by an "LSP", and the zap cloths have worked great as the final step. It's usually the last thing I do to a vehicle as well to remove any smudges, overspray, etc.

4. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

While for my own cars I have been extremely happy with the Griot's PFM Window towels, I've wanted to have something at work for customer's cars that won't cause a ton of extra laundry for me to bring home.

I do auto repair at an independent shop, not detailing. For customers that have a big bill, I like to try to do a little something so they can feel like they got a little extra value. Usually it's just an underhood wipe down of all the plastics with ONR so it looks a bit freshened up, but I've been wanting to lock into a good system to get really clean windows (again, without having to do loads of microfibers from work), as I feel like it could be something the customer would really notice.

Picked up a Zap cloth based on the reviews, and rinsed it out prior like you did. Tried it on one of our rentals and it seemed to finish off ok. One thing I noticed was that while cleaning, you could see spots where the glass wasn't perfectly clean (example, you could see a fingerprint like spot) when it was damp from the water, but it would go away when it dried. Pass over with the cloth, the spot was still there.

I quit using it as I didn't want to send cars away thinking the windows were clean, but have the customer was finding streaks in different conditions.

I know it defeats the purpose, but has anyone used a Zap cloth with glass cleaner, or something like N-914?

Post Thanks / Like

I second the Blackfire Glass Cleaner recommendation.
    AWESOME stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I never had this problem with the Zap Cloth after it has been rinsed and wrung out many times. I usually finish off the Zap Cloth wipe with a waffle weave glass towel while it is still wet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    I never had this problem with the Zap Cloth after it has been rinsed and wrung out many times. I usually finish off the Zap Cloth wipe with a waffle weave glass towel while it is still wet.
    I agree. The ZC works very well for me.

It's not a miracle though, I'd never expect it to clean windows that are just filthy.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Well maybe I should give it another shot. My windshield was pretty clean (probably cleaner than 95% of the cars on the road). It just started to get a slight haze on parts of the glass, so I figured I'd try the zap cloth. I fixed the windshield last night with microfiber and invisible glass.
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

Post Thanks / Like

I also have had no issues with the Zap cloth. Rinse with warm water and wipe the glass. It has gotten the glass cleaner for me than other methods. When dirty, send thru the washer. DO NOT MACHINE DRY.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the APC sprayed on to a Mister Clean Magic Eraser followed by some detail spray method. Still left a few streaks. Took a damp zap cloth followed with a dry microfiber and cleaned it right up. Slightly more than a one step!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast