autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

BMW plastic issue

Hi, first post for this newbie so hope I can get some help. Just started personal detailing and learning as I go. I’m sure I sprayed something on the plastic tac lens cover but not sure what. Interior glass cleaner didn’t to anything. Do I polish this out or is there some other magic plastic cleaner I need?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BMW plastic issue-3b29bc2c-ca97-4cc8-9dbd-91ca1b35741c-jpg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: BMW plastic issue

Clear plastic can be a bit tricky and especially since you see this part of the car every day when driving, I would be extra careful. Have you tried to wipe it off using a microfiber towel and some dilluted APC? I would try this first and if it doesn't work I would consider another type of product. They are called clear plastic cleaners or something similar, for example Meguiars PlastX. However, I'm not sure whether this product might be a little too rough, maybe someone could chime in?

Post Thanks / Like

You will have to clean the plastic before you polish it. Chances are you will scratch that plastic in the process of cleaning that goop off of the surface. A plastic polish like PlastX will work or you can try a regular polish like HD Polish+. I used HD on the A, B and C pillars of my Ford Explorer and they turned out perfectly.

Post Thanks / Like

Proceed with caution. I'd try this first:
    McKee's 37 Plex-All aerosol plastic cleaner,plastic polish,clear plastic cleaner polish,DP plastic polish,plastic protectant,headlight cleaner

If it doesn't work, only then would I move to an abrasive product. Even with super fine abrasive polishes, you can really do a number on soft, clear plastics. Typically, your applicator or towel of choice will instill scratches of its own during the polishing process.

If the McKee's aerosol doesn't work, then I'd try Meg's PlastX worked with a suede "lens cloth".

5. Likes PA DETAILER liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yikes. Can you feel something on there? What kind if products did you use in that area? If you can feel a reside, maybe dab a little goo gone on there and see if it dissolves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. The only stuff I recall spraying around there previously was leather cleaner and 303 protectant. If I had to guess, I think it is the 303 protectant. I like the idea of using non abrasives first but will have to purchase your recommended ideas first

Post Thanks / Like

That is one area not to be aggressive with. Most are soft plastic to begin with. Always use a soft MF cloth to clean the lens. Megs platstx is a good product to use here.

Meguiars Plastx Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish - clean & polish all clear plastic panels and convertible top windows.

And as mentioned above MC KESS 37 PLEX ALL is also excellent.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

I think plex-all will get it off if it's 303.
    If you move to PlastX- here's my process:
    I cut a small piece of lens cloth and wad it up inside another lens cloth. So you have a little pea shaped ball. You hold your fingers around the outer cloth and that "pea" is now your polishing pad. Put a dot of product on the "pea", dab it on the plastic in a few spots, then proceed to gently buff. When it gets tacky, add a little more polish. Being a diminishing abrasive, PlastX needs to be worked through its cycle. The first couple cycles I don't work it all the way through, as I add more product when it gets tacky. When I think I've got the blemish beat, I work the product through the end of the cycle. It will begin to clear up.

Here's the key-- don't try to wipe/buff until its smudge free. That last bit of remaining product should be removed with a new clean lens cloth and the Plex-all. It's very hard to get it back to "new" condition with this method. But I get close. The only way to do better would be to remove the panel entirely and buff it with a machine.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

BMW plastic issue-ad83ad8d-76be-4504-8783-c35c1a9602d0-jpgBMW plastic issue-ad83ad8d-76be-4504-8783-c35c1a9602d0-jpgSo I went to local Autozone store which had Meguiars Plastx. I had to rub out really hard with multiple applications but actually came out not too bad. Not perfect but acceptable. Thanks to all for the advice.

11. Likes AZpolisher15, Eldorado2k, PA DETAILER liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lxgreen View Post
    BMW plastic issue-ad83ad8d-76be-4504-8783-c35c1a9602d0-jpgBMW plastic issue-ad83ad8d-76be-4504-8783-c35c1a9602d0-jpgSo I went to local Autozone store which had Meguiars Plastx. I had to rub out really hard with multiple applications but actually came out not too bad. Not perfect but acceptable. Thanks to all for the advice.
    Looks great. What did you use as an applicator?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast