autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Will my current tire cleaning regiment work for a clearcoat (Tuf Shine)?

Hi all...

My current tire cleaning regiment is as follows:
    1. Clean tires with diluted solution of Simple Green
    2. Dry
    3. Use Mother's Back to Black Trim restorer to give the tires a "brand new" look
    4. Dry
    4. Coat with Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant

Question is that if I replace step 4 with Tuf Shine or a similar product, will it adhere after the Mother's? I'm working with what I have, on a budget, and would rather not have to purchase some recommended products on this forum specific to cleaning the rubber.

Thanks in advance...

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will my current tire cleaning regiment work for a clearcoat (Tuf Shine)?

I would suspect you would have bonding issues with using that mothers product. I am not sure how good simple green does at cleaning tires but here is my recommendation as I have learned from applying tire coatings.

Clean the tires weekly and do not put any dressing on them for a few weeks. It will allow the tire dressing to leach out from what has been absorbed by the tire. After a few weeks give them a cleaning and then apply the tire coating.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never used the Mother's TRIM restorer on tire before. It does a great job on trim getting the dead oxidized plastic off. Is it something special on tires too?

Post Thanks / Like

Before trying it, I read the directions, and it did say safe to use on tires.

I originally tried it on my daughter's Jeep, which had severe browning, and while cleaning it (over 5 times) with step 1, the only thing I could get was a uniform brown (they weren't old, Goodyears, and never had the issue with other brands).

I decided to try the Mother's, and the tires restored to what I considered "brand new out of the mold" look (which is what I would want to ultimately achieve, yet have yet to find something which lasts longer than my current regiment).

303 Protectant was used on prior cleaning steps, but the Wolfgang lasts longer, as of now.

E

5. Thanks DBAILEY thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I would suspect you would have bonding issues with using that mothers product. I am not sure how good simple green does at cleaning tires but here is my recommendation as I have learned from applying tire coatings.

Clean the tires weekly and do not put any dressing on them for a few weeks. It will allow the tire dressing to leach out from what has been absorbed by the tire. After a few weeks give them a cleaning and then apply the tire coating.
    Thanks for the tip...Can definitely try that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ejaf View Post
    My current tire cleaning regiment is as follows:
    1. Clean tires
    2. Dry
    3. Use Mother's Back to Black Trim restorer
    4. Dry

Question is that
    If I replace step 4 with Tuf Shine
    or a similar product, will it adhere
    after the Mother's?

Eric

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

It's really quite important for TuffShine to have a very clean surface to bond to, otherwise it'll start appearing brown after a bit. The initial scrubbing of a tire can be quite arduous if you've been slathering on tire dressings for a while (especially silicone-based products); the TuffShine brush and cleaner does a great job but sometimes you have to go thru 3 or 4 'cycles' to get to a state that is ready for application.

The first time I used TuffShine it was on some Michelin's that had Zaino Tire Dressing applied for the previous year or two; it took nearly all day to get them clean enough for application. Once clean and the TuffShine coating applied it's all gravy...just a quick wipe down with soapy water and good to go. Once a year I'll give 'em a cycle or 2 scrubbing with the TuffShine cleaner and reapply a coat or two and that pretty much holds me for 6-8 months depending on vehicle usage.

Kinda a pain initially but well worth it once ya got things right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post

Bob
    ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    It's really quite important for TuffShine to have a very clean surface to bond to, otherwise it'll start appearing brown after a bit. The initial scrubbing of a tire can be quite arduous if you've been slathering on tire dressings for a while (especially silicone-based products); the TuffShine brush and cleaner does a great job but sometimes you have to go thru 3 or 4 'cycles' to get to a state that is ready for application.

The first time I used TuffShine it was on some Michelin's that had Zaino Tire Dressing applied for the previous year or two; it took nearly all day to get them clean enough for application. Once clean and the TuffShine coating applied it's all gravy...just a quick wipe down with soapy water and good to go. Once a year I'll give 'em a cycle or 2 scrubbing with the TuffShine cleaner and reapply a coat or two and that pretty much holds me for 6-8 months depending on vehicle usage.

Kinda a pain initially but well worth it once ya got things right.
    Thanks...I guess the cycles that I have to go through will be that once the tire cleaning product (whatever it is) is no longer bringing up any dirt (or leftover dressings), I am good to go with the Tuf Shine.

Sounds as if better off not using the Mother's (although not technically a dressing, it will act as one). Correct?

Post Thanks / Like

?

4. Dry

Question is that if I replace step 4 with
    Tuf Shine or a similar product
    ?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast