autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will my current tire cleaning regiment work for a clearcoat (Tuf Shine)?

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    If you compared them directly, would you say the M37 version has an edge at all?

Have you tried multiple passes with the mothers product and seen noticeably different levels of cleanliness? Or tried using a scrub brush with it?
    I made this thread a while back comparing them head to head. IMO the Mothers works slightly better.

4 way tire cleaner showdown - via waterless
    4 way tire cleaner showdown - via waterless

I can’t remember if I’ve tried using it via scrub brush like a conventional tire cleaner, but I am curious in finding out how it behaves so I might have to test that soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never seen Mother's Back to Back Tire Renew cleaner at any retail store near me.

Post Thanks / Like

Lacquer Thinner is supposed to be able to remove any dressing completelly without much effort. It's not something I would use on my tires on a regular basis, but it you just want them perfectly degreased to apply the coating, I think that would be your best solution. I have come across tires with Armor All on them before and I simply gave up trying to clean them with degreasers. That stuff is imprevious to Megs super degreaser which is the strongest degreaser I had in my arnenal at the time. My client tried a few things like concentrated (powder) laundry detergent and other cleaners and it did not remove the armor all either LOL I did not know about Lacquer Thinner back then, would love to try it now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I made this thread a while back comparing them head to head. IMO the Mothers works slightly better.
    I must have missed that thread, mothers looks like it kicks butt though Will my current tire cleaning regiment work for a clearcoat (Tuf Shine)?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I can’t remember if I’ve tried using it via scrub brush like a conventional tire cleaner, but I am curious in finding out how it behaves so I might have to test that soon.
    I’ll have to scoop up a bottle and see what it’s like. My tires look good but I never feel like they’re 100% where I’d want them. They are Michelins though so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    I have never seen Mother's Back to Back Tire Renew cleaner at any retail store near me.
    I bought some at my local Pep Boys.

6. Thanks DBAILEY thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Lacquer Thinner is supposed to be able to remove any dressing completelly without much effort. It's not something I would use on my tires on a regular basis, but it you just want them perfectly degreased to apply the coating, I think that would be your best solution. I have come across tires with Armor All on them before and I simply gave up trying to clean them with degreasers. That stuff is imprevious to Megs super degreaser which is the strongest degreaser I had in my arnenal at the time. My client tried a few things like concentrated (powder) laundry detergent and other cleaners and it did not remove the armor all either LOL I did not know about Lacquer Thinner back then, would love to try it now.
    If you're in a pinch and can't get a tire dressing off, try using Stoner's Tarminator. Clean the tire with your degreaser first. Spray Tarminator onto a MF and wipe the tire. Use new side of towel each section. I throw the towel away afterwards. I clean again afterwards with my tire cleaner. Again, like you said not something you would ever recommend doing on a regular basis. Hopefully something you only need to do it once in the tire's lifetime. It is also is very effective at removing the mold release coating a brand new tire.

It has helped me get some really nasty used car lot tire dressing off tires before. I swear it was used motor oil.

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE: Hard tires to coat!
    Had plenty of time and gave my off road tires another try.
    Cleaned them with Tuf Shine tire cleaner using a carpet brush on a cordless drill. Works great!
    They looked very clean except a few spots that looked like mold release. I rubbed these with lacquer thinner and got about 70% off.
    Put on the Tuf Shine coating and it dried very fast with the humidity. 3 coats using a Speed Master applicator because the big lugs are hard to cover.
    Followed up with Dlux on the wheels.
    As of now they look really good. I’ll know tomorrow for sure.
    I think the carpet brush was the trick because the tires looked super clean.
    Thanks for all the great information!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123