autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has anyone compared BFs SiO2 spray sealant to Carpro Reload

Yeah,let me derail the thread even further!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNMIKE46 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has used BF Si02 over CQ UK 3.0? Just wondering because of all the comments about streaking with Reload, especially on black cars.
    I have over black paint and no streaking. The only time I have mild streaking is when the paint is hot (hood) or when the humidity is high.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I’ve done some testing on 12 different SiO2 toppers and my question for everyone is when do you say a product is dead or ready for reapplication? Is it when beading deteriorates where water runs instead of beads or is it when the beads are not tight? Or maybe when the gloss deteriorates? Other?

Second question: Why use a topper over a coating? To save the coating? To protect the coating from waterspots? To add gloss? Can’t keep your hands off of your car? Other?

I think these are valid questions and until we can set values and reasons it is near impossible to have a meaningful discussion on SiO2 toppers. It’s kind of like saying Product X lasts 6 months only to see an asterisk next to it that says “only if vehicles is stored indoors”.

I could be digging too deep but we all want to know which product will last the longest or have the most gloss. We can’t depend on manufacturers claims as they are in it for dollars and I don’t think Consumer Reports loves us. Lol.
    This one is easy for me to answer....
    I just bought a new Sienna minivan for my wife. It's huge, lots of paint to protect. I spent 3 days washing, polishing, prepping, and applying 2 1/2 coats of CQUK3.0 (hood and roof received 3 coats, everything else 2). I'm 49 yrs old with 3 kids. Investing that kind of time in a coating means I want to protect it. BF SiO2, Meguiar's Ceramic Spray, and the new Mother's CMX Ceramic will be used to protect that CQUK3.0, hopefully for the entire 5-6 years we plan on owning the van. I never plan on recoating the van, so I want to make the coating last. We'll see how it works out. I think it will do fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNMIKE46 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has used BF Si02 over CQ UK 3.0? Just wondering because of all the comments about streaking with Reload, especially on black cars.
    Yep, I have. Over Christmas I coated my wife's new Sienna with 2 1/2 coats of CQUK3.0 and instead of using Reload over CQUK3.0 during the curing process, I used BF SiO2. Seems to have worked flawlessly. Water barely touches the surface without rolling off. Very impressed with CQUK3.0 and BF SI02 combo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post
    To me using these sealants as drying aids, you're watering them down to an extent. I spoke with Nick @ McKees and he recommended me to use his 10 min sealant as a drying aid. It'll add to the coating and add gloss etc
    After buying & using McKees original Spray Coating a few years ago and being thoroughly disappointed, I have trouble trusting McKees products any more. I did buy a bottle of Hydro Blue that I haven't even opened yet. I still have 1/2 a bottle of the McKees Spray Coating left and everytime I see it in my chemical cabinet I just shake my head. I need to just throw it away and give the Hydro blue a chance but the Spray coating was such crap and lasted no time, it makes me not want to use the HydroBlue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by packfan View Post
    This one is easy for me to answer....
    I just bought a new Sienna minivan for my wife. It's huge, lots of paint to protect. I spent 3 days washing, polishing, prepping, and applying 2 1/2 coats of CQUK3.0 (hood and roof received 3 coats, everything else 2). I'm 49 yrs old with 3 kids. Investing that kind of time in a coating means I want to protect it. BF SiO2, Meguiar's Ceramic Spray, and the new Mother's CMX Ceramic will be used to protect that CQUK3.0, hopefully for the entire 5-6 years we plan on owning the van. I never plan on recoating the van, so I want to make the coating last. We'll see how it works out. I think it will do fine.
    I'll give an opinion you didn't ask for: if you're going to keep up with an SiO2 sealant over the coating all the time, what is the coating doing for you? What would the difference be if you just applied a sealant every few weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by packfan View Post
    After buying & using McKees original Spray Coating a few years ago and being thoroughly disappointed, I have trouble trusting McKees products any more. I did buy a bottle of Hydro Blue that I haven't even opened yet. I still have 1/2 a bottle of the McKees Spray Coating left and everytime I see it in my chemical cabinet I just shake my head. I need to just throw it away and give the Hydro blue a chance but the Spray coating was such crap and lasted no time, it makes me not want to use the HydroBlue.
    Based on my limited testing the spray-on-hose-off products seem to be similar and all sheet water for 3-4 weeks. If you're willing to reapply it every 4 weeks or so it's not a bad way to go given the low effort. For me the spray-on-walk-away sealants are even easier and can last a long time.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567