autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Which microfiber towels & applicators for Gyeon CanCoat??

I already have 3 cars (including my own LOL) lined up to be coated with Gyeon CanCoat.

I already have a ton of MF towels, but I want to make sure I do this right and I'm looking to pick up some new MF towels so I can do the coating without worrying about using cloths contaminated with other polishes/sealants that could mess up the application.

I'm sure I'm overthinking this and making myself worry too much, but if I get this right and applying the coating goes well, not only will my car benefit, but so will my bank account as more than one person would like to have it done, they just want to see (me) apply it to other cars first. If they like what they see, then that's more coating jobs booked.

My mother-in-law has a 2013 Ford Edge (like a brilliant strawberry red, metallic) that will be my "test" car, I want to do my car, but I'm not sure if I want to cut my teeth on black. Her parents have done a lot for us and I want to be able to give back.

If I could get links to good towels and applicators for this, that would be great.

Thanks all.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which microfiber towels & applicators for Gyeon CanCoat??

Post what you have so we know what you are working with.

Post Thanks / Like

They are no-name Sam' Club microfibers that come in like a 20 pack. As for absorption, they act like a leather chamois, they need to be dampened and wrung out before I can use them to dry my car. Otherwise they just push the water around ... I don't 'flood dry" the car first. With a detail spray, they do decent with a light spritz of product and get better as they go.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

I can't comment on those towels since I never used them. You can try them out and see how they work out.

Here are some of my favorite towels. I source mine from the rag company.

Edgeless 300 - Great for leveling coatings and general all purpose towel. Won't scratch the paint. These are 300 GSM.

Edgeless 245 - These also work well. Recently tried this one and was surprised as to how well it worked. These are 245 GSM. These can be purchased in bulk.

The Pearl - I recently tried these and they are fine for leveling out coatings due to the towels weave pattern. These are 320 GSM. I still need to test it out some more.

The towel that is included with cancoat is pretty close to the edgeless 245 or 300. Either of these would be my recommendation if you desire to get new towels. If not then you can try what you have.

As far as applicators you can use a towel or a microfiber applicator block. They are all about the same. I can't remember if I got them here or detailed image but they are the blue microfiber applicator blocks.

5. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with The Guz. IMO, the perfect combination is the pearl or even an all purpose (edgeless 245 I think is the same deal) MF to level, and then I really like the Edgeless 365 for a final wipedown.
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

7. Likes The Guz liked this post