autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand Car Wash

Post Thanks / Like

Hand Car Wash

So I really want to open a car wash that is strictly a hand car wash. My goal is to be different then the other washes out there. I recently was on a trip to New York where I saw a hand car wash and it was packed and offered everything and basically was the same business I have been wanting to operate. Unfortunately the owner wasn’t there so I couldn’t ask the questions like why he decided this type, how he business does or how long he’s been in business.

My plan is to have a hand wash tunnel, detailing garage for customers who want a full detail (paint correcting, coating application) not the “car wash detail” and then a store where we can sell to enthusiasts products like interior/exterior chemicals, pressure washer attachments, foam cannons, waxes, sealants, tools and such.

What are your thoughts on a hand car wash, touchless car wash or automatic scratch o matic car wash?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hand Car Wash

I have a son that lives in Georgia, and he uses a place that sounds just like you describe. Their car washes are done using a two bucket - type method, but with clean wash mitts for every new car. Drying is actually done with wall hung MetroVacs, and your choice of a wax or a sealant (a few to select from for each) is machine applied. They run 100s of cars through a day on the weekend, but can do it because 6 - 8 people are working on each car at a time. I think he said it's $20.00, which is about twice what a swirl-o-matic costs. If you want small extra services, like special attention to your wheels and tires, they have you pull off to the side and for a few extra bucks, they wash your wheels. They offer full detailing as well, but he does his own, so he's never used their service for that.

He believes the model should be very profitable, and from what he sees, it likely is. Based on my son's opinion (and he's a pretty bright guy), you've got a winning plan. I'd love to hear how it goes for you!

3. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mk9750 View Post
    I have a son that lives in Georgia, and he uses a place that sounds just like you describe. Their car washes are done using a two bucket - type method, but with clean wash mitts for every new car. Drying is actually done with wall hung MetroVacs, and your choice of a wax or a sealant (a few to select from for each) is machine applied. They run 100s of cars through a day on the weekend, but can do it because 6 - 8 people are working on each car at a time. I think he said it's $20.00, which is about twice what a swirl-o-matic costs. If you want small extra services, like special attention to your wheels and tires, they have you pull off to the side and for a few extra bucks, they wash your wheels. They offer full detailing as well, but he does his own, so he's never used their service for that.

He believes the model should be very profitable, and from what he sees, it likely is. Based on my son's opinion (and he's a pretty bright guy), you've got a winning plan. I'd love to hear how it goes for you!
    Wow, for $20 I'd stop washing my car and take it to a place like that. $20 around where I live gets you a tunnel wash with the swirls special treatment.
    Bruno Soares

5. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, gspam1, Jon TDS, Rmd, Carvin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Wow, for $20 I'd stop washing my car and take it to a place like that. $20 around where I live gets you a tunnel wash with the swirls special treatment.
    Inspect their work first!

A guy who's 2017 BMW M2 I did last year REALLY wanted to invest time and money into doing his car right. Especially after I did my work on it. His work hours hasn't allowed for it, so he has been taking it to some "hand wash" place with buckets and hoses. He swore they used a soft boars hair brush, etc.

I was a bit sad to see the car with swirls. Oh well. I got paid for the job I did.

Post Thanks / Like

Hand Car Wash

Quote Originally Posted by mk9750 View Post

Thanks. My plan is cars are $20 ($25 for rims and $30 for rims and tires.) larger vehicles are $25 ($30 for rims and $35 for rims and tires.) I would have an area at the end where the customer would pull over and get the tires shined. For an additional $5 you get the interior vacuumed and surfaces dusted. Also, a $100 a month membership gets customers unlimited washes, one vacuum/dusting a week and window cleaning after each wash.

Basically you would pull up to the tunnel, 1 guy would take the payment then would pre rinse the vehicle with a pressure washer, foam it up and then 2 guys in the tunnel for washing, once the car gets inside, depending on the package selection, wheels get treated then the paint is washed. Then 1 other guy rinses the vehicle and we would have the drying blowers at the end of the tunnel to get most of the water off then person who does the rinse would follow up with a handheld blower and drying towel. Outside the tunnel, off to the side there would be an area for vacuuming and surface wipe down.

Overtime and as we grow, a conveyor belt would be installed in the tunnel, maybe a foaming arch. But I want to create jobs so not trying to buy too many machines. So I’m trying to determine a start up cost so if anyone can help add to a list that would be cool.

Not sure how much it would cost to build the tunnel which would need to be heated for the winter months so garage doors on either end are a must and then have fans for the summer. As for the mit cleaning process, we would have two large sinks on either side of the tunnel with custom grit guards. Each sink would have 4 dividers, 2 for clean soapy water and 2 for the rinse water. So when one gets too dirty it can be emptied and rinsed out while the other can be utilized. A large commercial washer and dryer for cleaning drying towels and detailing towels. Would probably 100 wash mits that would be used throughout the day and then washed in washer at the end of Day.

- Tunnel with garage doors, heaters and fans
    - Water Reclaim system
    - Water recycle system
    - 4 Electric Commercial pressure washers
    - Large drying blower
    - 3 hand held blowers
    - commercial air compressor system
    - commercial vacuums
    - Washer and Dryer

Post Thanks / Like

Hand Car Wash

So we would have the hand wash tunnel, the store selling the products and tools and mobile detailing. And hopefully on weekends or once a week during the nice weather, could host car shows or car meets.

Post Thanks / Like

That is an interesting concept. I would consider that production detailing. It has the right products and tools to do a proper job, but it has the ability to do multiple cars at the same time in a shorter amount of time. The retail store can also be attractive as long as it sells professional grade tools and products. You will probably never compete with auto parts stores or Walmart if you sell over the counter Meguiars, Turtle Wax or Armor All.
    I would take the 1-1/2 drive to Rockport to check it out. Let me know when it opens.

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this a very good concept if you had enough customers.

I would LOVE to have a place like that anywhere near me. Out here, it's Swirl-o-matic, or do it yourself.

They ripped out the touchless wash bays we had here in town to build a Cheese & Wine cafe. Gotta love tourism...........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    That is an interesting concept. I would consider that production detailing. It has the right products and tools to do a proper job, but it has the ability to do multiple cars at the same time in a shorter amount of time. The retail store can also be attractive as long as it sells professional grade tools and products. You will probably never compete with auto parts stores or Walmart if you sell over the counter Meguiars, Turtle Wax or Armor All.
    I would take the 1-1/2 drive to Rockport to check it out. Let me know when it opens.
    I wouldn’t do it in Rockport. Not enough customers. I was thinking Peabody, Danvers, Revere or Everett. But it would be all professional grade stuff. Carpro, meguiars, chemical guys. The good stuff.

The touchless washes I’ve been to do a car in about 4-6 minutes. But when I come out I have water dripping everywhere, spots missed and because it’s touchless I’m not touching the paint with a drying towel because I know not all the dirt is off the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I think this a very good concept if you had enough customers.

I would LOVE to have a place like that anywhere near me. Out here, it's Swirl-o-matic, or do it yourself.

They ripped out the touchless wash bays we had here in town to build a Cheese & Wine cafe. Gotta love tourism...........
    Bummer on the cheese and wine thing. The area I would consider building off a highway where the daily traffic is over 40,000 on a busy street where the daily traffic is over 20,000 a day with another highway a mile away with the same amount of daily traffic of 40,000.

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast