autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Clay/Clay Mitt and marring.

Looking for advice on using a clay product. I have read conflicting information on using clay bars and mitts. Is it possible to use either without causing micro marring?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clay/Clay Mitt and marring.

My experience is that most marring events are user error. Too much pressure or too little lube.

I've not used actual clay since getting my Nanoskin mitts.

Post Thanks / Like

You're pulling something like a metallic fragment out of the clear coat with a sideways motion, not sure how you guarantee there will be no micro-marring. I only clay when I plan to polish afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lamented View Post
    Looking for advice on using a clay product. I have read conflicting information on using clay bars and mitts. Is it possible to use either without causing micro marring?
    I like clay mitts and nano sponges way more. The reason is I use extremely soapy water as my lube. Washes away the contaminants better than clay lube and IMO is slicker.

In terms of marring, it all depends on the condition of the paint being cleaned and your technique. Short answer is on a coated vehicle or one that is relatively in great shape that happens to have say tree sap or some type of random occurance of falllout on it, yes, you can decontaminate them without any marring using one of the sponges as I described. On these sealed surfaces the bonded material comes off far far easier than on a car that is not sealed and perhaps coming in for a full detail due to neglect or has been done in a year or so. Make sense?

On a well cared for vehicle, just use little to no real pressure and gently wipe a cleaned / washed surface with the spnoge and use plenty of water to wash away what you pull off. I've done my personal vehicles including a pure black car with no issues. Now on one that is coming to me for work, yes, you will see marring and very light trails from where I decontaminated them. Not a big deal as they buff out with ease.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Mike Phillips

My personal practice is anytime I'm going to clay a car be it with clay or a clay substitute, I'm already planning on doing at least one machine polishing process to remove any potential marring.

It's possible to mechanically decontaminate paint via rubbing some form of material over the paint and NOT scratch the paint but I think the potential for marring is there and for most people - likely.

6. Likes Jon TDS liked this post