autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New car - want advice on switching up my arsenal!

New guy here, long time lurker

I just got a new to me, Porsche 911 in Agage Grey (it's a darker metallic grey). I has low miles but I bought it used, so I want to do some work to get a few light scratches and swirls out. The scratches I'm referencing are only visible at certain angles and are not deep into the paint.

I was happy with the results on my baby hauler (750Li in metallic black), but now I want closer to perfection to make the metallic pop off the graphite color.

My previous routine (yes, I bought into the Chemical Guys hype)

-Chemical Guys VSS
    -CG Blacklight
    -CG Jet Seal
    -CG Butter Wet Wax
    -V07 Detail Spray

I think the results are decent on my old 750 and my wife's car, but on the Porsche I'm after a more show quality result - basically I care a lot more about products and results now with this car and would like your opinions on what just works really well.

I am an enthusiast and love detailing my own car, I'm by no means a pro - so products that can help the amateur detailer achieve great results are something I'm after.

I tried M205 with a yellow foam cutting pad and that did NOT get the scratches out.

My plan is (haven't bought these yet):

-Sonax Perfect Finish with microfiber pad
    -Adam's Glaze (not sure yet)
    -Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant
    -Wolfgang Fuzion Estate Carnuba

I'm not married to any particular product.. but I don't mind paying (within reason) for better products. Picture of the car/color for reference.

Thanks guys!

Forgot.. also interested in a good leather system for perforated leather.

New car - want advice on switching up my arsenal!-9912-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New car - want advice on switching up my arsenal!

Congrats on the car purchase. Looks awesome.

I think your new approach will work well. I tried Sonax Perfect Finish w an MF on my CLS550 and it worked ok except for the roof. I then switched it up to the Wolfgang Twins and it did a much better job w removing imperfections. i had a few stuborn ones on the roof that I was not able to remove but only I know the are there.

The approach I ended up being happy with was:
    Wolfgang TSR 3.0
    Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0
    Optiseal - inside and out. Safe on glass, wheels, trim, paint, leather, etc... Its like my swiss army knife.

I later went back and applied Gyeon Q2 Mohs on the paint and I'm pretty happy with it. Although i wouldn't apply Gyeon again. It smells horrendous. Like make you sick stink. I see you purchased the Wolfgang Estate Carnuba. Not sure if thats the same thing as fusion or different, but I love fusion. Smells so good and looks great plus easy to apply. Even though my cars are all coated I still go ahead and wax them once in a while just because its fun. Good luck with your new ride, I want to own one of those some day myself. Post pics when you are done detailing it. Thanks.

W
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

Post Thanks / Like

You may need to get yourself a compound if M205 and a cutting pad did not get those defects out. Or the paint is on the soft side and M205 is leaving marring behind with an aggressive pad.

Perfect Finish is nice but it is no more aggressive than M205. So you may be in the same situation.

Here is what I would recommend

Compound: Sonax Cut Max

Polish: Perfect Finish which you already have

LSP: Wolfgang which you already have

For leather there are many options. Gyeon Leather Coat or Gyeon Leather Shield both work well. Depends if you want to use a coating on the leather or a sealant. If you want a sealant then leather coat is a fine choice. Almost forgot to mention to prep the leather prior to using either one.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ntwillie1 View Post
    Congrats on the car purchase. Looks awesome.

I think your new approach will work well. I tried Sonax Perfect Finish w an MF on my CLS550 and it worked ok except for the roof. I then switched it up to the Wolfgang Twins and it did a much better job w removing imperfections. i had a few stuborn ones on the roof that I was not able to remove but only I know the are there.

The approach I ended up being happy with was:
    Wolfgang TSR 3.0
    Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0
    Optiseal - inside and out. Safe on glass, wheels, trim, paint, leather, etc... Its like my swiss army knife.

I later went back and applied Gyeon Q2 Mohs on the paint and I'm pretty happy with it. Although i wouldn't apply Gyeon again. It smells horrendous. Like make you sick stink. I see you purchased the Wolfgang Estate Carnuba. Not sure if thats the same thing as fusion or different, but I love fusion. Smells so good and looks great plus easy to apply. Even though my cars are all coated I still go ahead and wax them once in a while just because its fun. Good luck with your new ride, I want to own one of those some day myself. Post pics when you are done detailing it. Thanks.

W
    The scratches are on the roof and also the peaks of the round parts that meet the front lights there are some light scratches at the top of those, most wouldn't notice, but I know they are there. You are correct, the Fuzion wax.. everything I've seen, the results look incredible.

The the Wolfgang products you used for correction work better and easier than the Sonax? I'm not married to a certain brand, but Wolfgang does keep popping up for some of my key products I'll be using.

Which QD did you end up with?

Thanks for the comments on the car, it's been my life long dream to own one and now that I do, I want it to be really dialed in. I had a CLS550 as well, such an awesome car!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    You may need to get yourself a compound if M205 and a cutting pad did not get those defects out. Or the paint is on the soft side and M205 is leaving marring behind with an aggressive pad.

Perfect Finish is nice but it is no more aggressive than M205. So you may be in the same situation.

Here is what I would recommend

Compound: Sonax Cut Max

Polish: Perfect Finish which you already have

LSP: Wolfgang which you already have

For leather there are many options. Gyeon Leather Coat or Gyeon Leather Shield both work well. Depends if you want to use a coating on the leather or a sealant. If you want a sealant then leather coat is a fine choice. Almost forgot to mention to prep the leather prior to using either one.
    Thank you! For clarification, I have not bought the new stuff yet.. I'm debating on what to go with, but it sounds like I'm on the right track. Which pads did you use for the Cut Max vs. Perfect Finish?

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you try all-Wolfgang, all-the-time? Chasing perfection is fun but you can also end up with a lot of products that do almost exactly the same thing. I know. I have that disease. If I had to do it over I would probably reduce down to one brand, in my case it would be McKees, only because they have everything I need, most in gallon quantities. The only exception would be WG Uber Rinseless which is from the same pedigree.

7. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    Why don't you try all-Wolfgang, all-the-time? Chasing perfection is fun but you can also end up with a lot of products that do almost exactly the same thing. I know. I have that disease. If I had to do it over I would probably reduce down to one brand, in my case it would be McKees, only because they have everything I need, most in gallon quantities. The only exception would be WG Uber Rinseless which is from the same pedigree.
    Which products would you recommend in line with what I have listed, and have you compared the McKee’s to them?

i understand your point about chasing perfection, I am not after “perfect” I’m just after better.

Post Thanks / Like

New car - want advice on switching up my arsenal!

Have you tried 205 with a MF pad? For Porsche, that combo seems to work amazingly well. We just did a 911 GTS with that combo.

Full write-up here:

LSN Autodetailing - 2016 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS: LOTS OF PICS

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Did I simply miss it?

Or somewhere did you reference what you're using for tool?

Where do you live?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Did I simply miss it?

Or somewhere did you reference what you're using for tool?

Where do you live?

Hi Mike - I used a Torqx DA with Lake Country yellow cutting pad. I’m in Orange County, CA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast