autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Mckee's paint coating problems.

Just spent over 5hrs detailing my truck looking forward to trying mckee's new coating. Wasn't really happy with it. I had there first version and liked it. This version seemed hard to apply. First I watched the video and read the instructions but it doesn't really tell u how long to wait till u wipe it off, which I found frustrating. I searched on here and couldnt find a real answer. So I sprayed it on, did a few up and down, back and forth passes and wiped it off. It didn't wipe off the best. I wasnt sure if I was supposed to wait a little or wipe it off right away. So now after spending all the time getting the truck swirl free I'm not confident I got a good coat on. Wishing i just would of went with my regular sealant, would of been faster. Plus I'm not impressed with the slickness of the coating. Definitely not as slick as 3d poly.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mckee's paint coating problems.

The instructions on the bottle say to wipe it immediately.

That said as per the other recent threads, it will depend on temps and humidity but in today's heat most places it will begin to flash quickly. The wipe off you experienced...try letting it flash for a little longer. The carrier solvents will need to evaporate a bit in order to prevent it from smearing during wipe off.

Most coatings will be slightly grabby to not slick. That's normal. McKees is very similar in that respect to Cquartz.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Got a coating job tomorrow. Will let you know what I think then. So far I think the new version is harder to use. But my sprayers were not working on the last job so that did not help matters at all. Tomorrow I will try a dropper and if I don't like it I purchased 2 sprayers. I think the new product is much harder to remove. I hope that the loss of user friendliness is a step towards better shine, hydrophobic effect and/or durability. Would be nice if Nick jumped in and explained that changes in the new version.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Got a coating job tomorrow. Will let you know what I think then. So far I think the new version is harder to use. But my sprayers were not working on the last job so that did not help matters at all. Tomorrow I will try a dropper and if I don't like it I purchased 2 sprayers. I think the new product is much harder to remove. I hope that the loss of user friendliness is a step towards better shine, hydrophobic effect and/or durability. Would be nice if Nick jumped in and explained that changes in the new version.
    IMO the durability is better and IIRC it had a nicer look overall. However, compared to the competition, I don't see the hydrophobic property as being anything but slightly better than a sealant.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
    Just spent over 5hrs detailing my truck looking forward to trying mckee's new coating. Wasn't really happy with it. I had there first version and liked it. This version seemed hard to apply. First I watched the video and read the instructions but it doesn't really tell u how long to wait till u wipe it off, which I found frustrating. I searched on here and couldnt find a real answer. So I sprayed it on, did a few up and down, back and forth passes and wiped it off. It didn't wipe off the best. I wasnt sure if I was supposed to wait a little or wipe it off right away. So now after spending all the time getting the truck swirl free I'm not confident I got a good coat on. Wishing i just would of went with my regular sealant, would of been faster. Plus I'm not impressed with the slickness of the coating. Definitely not as slick as 3d poly.
    I feel your pain. I found v2 to be a PITA to apply.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

The coating is not supposed to leave the surface slick, at least not right away. If slickness is important, follow with a detail spray the following day.

For some of us a liquid wax or paint sealant is still the best option, especially us "old school" guys. If your goal for "waxing" your vehicle is to keep it simple, then I would recommend using a product like our Trademark Poli-Coat Wax. It's a liquid wax that's a breeze to apply, and it leaves the surface slick as can be. I'll gladly send you a bottle in exchange for the Paint Coating. Send me an email: Nick@McKees37.com

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    The instructions on the bottle say to wipe it immediately.

That said as per the other recent threads, it will depend on temps and humidity but in today's heat most places it will begin to flash quickly. The wipe off you experienced...try letting it flash for a little longer. The carrier solvents will need to evaporate a bit in order to prevent it from smearing during wipe off.

Most coatings will be slightly grabby to not slick. That's normal. McKees is very similar in that respect to Cquartz.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by boomdone View Post
    I feel your pain. I found v2 to be a PITA to apply.
    Once you dial in your technique (required for any coating), it shouldn't be a "PITA" to remove at all...

Try using a towel that's NOT plush to remove the excess coating, something like a (high quality) all purpose microfiber towel. I'm not a fan of using a thick towel or a "suede" towel to remove this particular coating.

7. Likes osiapstndp, PurpleTowel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Same experience. V2 is really hard to remove, even wiping immediately. I will say it does get super slick once cured, better than Cquartz. I experimented cutting mckee's V2 3:1 with 10 Min paint sealant and it gave it much better work time and ease of removal, but no clue how it will effect its durability. Using a dropper didn't help any compared to a sprayer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Nick, my main question is do I do my passes with the applicator then wipe excess right away, or do I wait a little before I wipe it off. Thanks

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Nick, my main question is do I do my passes with the applicator then wipe excess right away, or do I wait a little before I wipe it off. Thanks
    Directions:

1. Wash vehicle using McKee's 37 Coating Prep Auto Wash.
    2. Ensure surface is cool to the touch and out of direct sunlight.
    3. Place your hand in a plastic sandwich baggy and feel the paint. If it feels rough or gritty, use McKee's 37 Universal Detailing Clay.
    4. If your vehicle is BRAND NEW, apply McKee's 37 Coating Prep Polish. This step is crucial as it will remove below-surface contaminants and embedded dirt. If your vehicle has swirl marks or scratches, polish the paint and then use our N-914 Diluted 1:8 to wipe it down.
    5. Working one panel at a time, spray McKee's 37 Paint Coating directly onto the paint and evenly distribute using the supplied applicator.
    6. Work the coating into the paint using a side-to-side and up-and-down hand motion, overlapping each pass.
    7. Immediately remove excess using a clean, lint-free microfiber towel.

11. Likes AZpolisher15 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont know why Nick is against using a MF Suede ( think Carpro LARGE suedes sold here ) to buff off/remove the excess coating ont he panels, but I had significantly better luck using the suedes to remove the coating than I did with standard short pile MFs. The suedes allowed to be minimize high spots on my dark blue truck.

All in all the v2 was better for me, I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast