autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My car wash method seems inefficient...

I’d choose to either rinse the car down or do a presoak. I think doing both is unnecessary.

When I wash my car I usually do something like:

-take my garden sprayer with rinseless and presoak half the car at a time. I don’t go crazy doing this, I just want product on the surface.

-take a towel out and clean a panel like Garry dean shows it in his videos. The only thing I’ll do differently is flip my towel as I get to the bottom 1/3 of the car, even if I don’t think it’s that bad.

-Dry off half and move on to the other side. If I’m using something like ONR sometimes I’ll follow it with something like d156.

It doesn’t take me long to clean up my paint. Maybe 15-20 minutes for everything that isn’t my tires/wheels. I usually use the hose for my tires/wheels/wheel wells, which would probably add another 5 minutes per.

A rinseless method really does save time. While I appreciate some of Scott’s videos, I think he does a good job making a simple wash process more complicated than it needs to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes TTQ B4U, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    A rinseless method really does save time. While I appreciate some of Scott’s videos, I think he does a good job making a simple wash process more complicated than it needs to be.
    Agree on both accounts. I can do my car from filthy to showroom, wheels included in 1:00 to 1:15, the latter if the wheels are filthy. I think most detailers, more so AMMO than Dallas/Scott make things way way more complicated than they are. I've watched AMMO make a 30 minute video on how to clean a windshield! Painful.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

4. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Hammer77, UncleDavy, Dan Tran liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Sniperooski
    Definitely. I think with the rise of all these YouTube detailing personalities, it can often do more harm than good. There’s a good amount of what (I’d consider) fear mongering that gets put out there.

The best thing I’ve ever started doing was just not worrying so much about 100% perfection on my paint. I seldom ever really get marring from a rinseless wash, but I’m never worried about it either way. I trust the product/process/my technique.

I see these crazy elaborate weekly wash regiments, and sometimes I just wonder if all these people posting their elaborate set ups on YouTube does more harm than good.

Does it scare people looking to just keep their car clean and shiny away because they think they need foam cannons and pressure washers, while the next guy says rinseless is fine? A big peeve of mine is that these people have a tremendous reach, and choose to use it to spread misinformation/fear.

It’s the primary reason I cannot stand watching junkman videos. His entire demeanor towards washing amounts to “I’m going to ignore all the evidence this works and bash it anyway.” Not to say I think people shouldn’t share their opinions, but I’m interested in facts more often than how someone feels about a product.

Meanwhile people like Garry dean, Darren from auto fetish detail, and other smaller youtubers get constantly barraged for trying to spread good and useful information on ways to make cleaning your vehicles easier and more convenient. Not going so far down the rabbit hole, as Darren likes to put it.

That’s also why I appreciate Mike Phillips. He’s one of the guys (if not THE guy) out here putting out objective (I don’t believe he’d endorse a product he doesn’t think works, regardless of working at AG) reviews and how to’s. He’ll show you how to waterless wash and then how to use the foam cannon. He’ll show you how to throw on a coating and then demo a traditional paste wax.

Turned into a rant, I guess My car wash method seems inefficient...

6. Thanks steelwindmachine thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Frank70, FocusSTguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s the primary reason I cannot stand watching junkman videos. His entire demeanor towards washing amounts to “I’m going to ignore all the evidence this works and bash it anyway.” Not to say I think people shouldn’t share their opinions, but I’m interested in facts more often than how someone feels about a product.
    Agree. I bantered with him on Youtube over it and stopped only because I realized he wasn't joking and that he seriously is closed minded and just doesn't see Rinseless as a viable method to clean a car. This and a couple other thoughts he's shared left with me giving him a low credibility rating. Some may disagree but that's how I feel.

Meanwhile people like Garry dean, Darren from auto fetish detail, and other smaller youtubers get constantly barraged for trying to spread good and useful information on ways to make cleaning your vehicles easier and more convenient. Not going so far down the rabbit hole, as Darren likes to put it.

That’s also why I appreciate Mike Phillips. He’s one of the guys (if not THE guy) out here putting out objective (I don’t believe he’d endorse a product he doesn’t think works, regardless of working at AG) reviews and how to’s. He’ll show you how to waterless wash and then how to use the foam cannon. He’ll show you how to throw on a coating and then demo a traditional paste wax.

haha! all good.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

8. Thanks Finick thanked for this post
    Likes Finick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Finick on not worrying about every little thing during a wash. Also, good call on the "fear factor" instilled by some on the net. Couldn't agree more.

I'll use a 2 bucket/grit guard/hose off the mitt technique, and when I rinseless wash, about 8-9 towels in the solution. Use one up, and in the dirty bucket it goes......

Never had a problem with either one.

Some of these guys on the net make it sound as if you don't follow their method to a "T", you might as well be taking a street broom and going from your wheel wells right to the paint, then drying it off with sandpaper.

I call BS.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes Frank70, Hammer77, UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the hydroshot with 2 liter attachment, but with a 1.5 L smartwater bottle filled with uber at 3oz/128oz dilution. Bottle is good quality and same height as a 2L. Flat bottom so suction is good towards bottom. No extension rod, 25degree spray, low power. I can cover a panel quickly and its not that heavy. I'll still have solution left as I don't need a full 1.5L for my car.

I also use the hydroshot with a 2L of ONR + distilled water as my pre-rinse before that (have a bunch of ONR to get rid of... distilled water no spotting), and then take the battery off the hydroshot and use it on the worx turbine blower to dry after, so it was an excellent purchase for me...

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. Here is my take on this.

First, if you can get a pressure washer, a real one not the Hydroshot, that is the best investment you can make to maintain your car. A pressure washer will remove 80 to 90% of the dirt before you even touch the car. If later on you decide to coat the car with a nano-ceramic coating, that figure can raise to 95%.

As for the wash, I am a big fan of the rinseless wash method using a single bucket and about 5 microfiber towels. This to me is the safest way to wash because you cannot re-introduce dirt at all to the paint during the wash. So all you do is fill a bucket with 2 gallons of water, if you can use de-ionized or distilled water it's even better, then add you rinseless wash product. In the case of ONR, that would be 1 oz.

Then you soak all the microfiber towels in the bucket and that one that you will wring out enough so it no longer drips. You fold it in 4.

On the first panel you wipe with one side of the microfiber towel. When you see that side is getting dirty, you switch to a clean side. And keep doing that until all the sides of the towel that have nap on them are dirty. At that point, you put that one aside and take a new towel and repeat the process.

If you want to be efficient, you dry each panel after you have washed it. If you are using opti-seal or similar spray sealant, just do a few spray on the towel, then 1 or 2 spray on each panel before you dry it. This will act as a lubricant to prevent scratching and also put protection in place. Most spray sealants and spray waxes are suitable for this.

The use of a pump sprayer or hydroshot is an alternative for when you do not have free flowing water avaialble. It is far less effecient and more risky to use than a pressure washer or even a garden hose with a sprayer gun. But it is better than nothing, any pre-wash is a safety mesure, but as I said earlier, by far the best one bar none is the pressure washer.

13. Likes DetailZeus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Agree. I bantered with him on Youtube over it and stopped only because I realized he wasn't joking and that he seriously is closed minded and just doesn't see Rinseless as a viable method to clean a car. This and a couple other thoughts he's shared left with me giving him a low credibility rating. Some may disagree but that's how I feel.

haha! all good.
    Junkman did a lot of good videos. But like you I stopped following him because he has some very strange ideas and is very closed minded.

In my case, he made a video about cleaning windows and said he would not use cheap microfiber towels to go near his car. I asked him if he really believed that a low grade microfiber towel could scratch his glass. He failed to answer.

Again about microfiber towels, he believes that if a microfiber towel is grabby, it means it's not good quality. The opposite is actually true, what makes microfiber towels so effective is their ability to grab to dirt and keep it in the fibers of the towel. If your towel can't do that, it's no better than any other terry cloth towel on the market.

Other than that, his takes on many other topics are good. But I have a hard time with people who are wrong about something and are also closed minded. So I lost interest in his content.

15. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely. I think with the rise of all these YouTube detailing personalities, it can often do more harm than good. There’s a good amount of what (I’d consider) fear mongering that gets put out there.

The best thing I’ve ever started doing was just not worrying so much about 100% perfection on my paint. I seldom ever really get marring from a rinseless wash, but I’m never worried about it either way. I trust the product/process/my technique.

I see these crazy elaborate weekly wash regiments, and sometimes I just wonder if all these people posting their elaborate set ups on YouTube does more harm than good.

Does it scare people looking to just keep their car clean and shiny away because they think they need foam cannons and pressure washers, while the next guy says rinseless is fine? A big peeve of mine is that these people have a tremendous reach, and choose to use it to spread misinformation/fear.

I think every one of these guys put out good content. It gives you options and you can decide what method works best for you. None of them are perfect and there are things you will not like about either the information they provide or the way they do it. Personally, I don't mind long winded video as long as the information is useful. For example you mention you like Mike Phillips content. I think Mike makes very good articles and is very knowledgable. For his videos, I usually find them too short and would like for him to go into greater details. But I understand that most people have a short attention span and if he did that a good portion of his audience would get bored.

So I think the best is to watch all you can and use what you find is the best way. There are many ways to skin a cat, some are better than others, but the knowledge is always good.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing I would add to the previous comments is if your going to use Optimum products, give them a fair chance to succeed. By that, I mean on one car use only Optimum for at least a couple months. My experience is synergy is very important to get the best results from their products. Do you have their car wax? It's a very easy product to lay in as you dry.i only use Optiseal on a prepped surface.

There's a YouTube video Yuan made with the Rag Company guy on using their products to rinse less wash with. You should watch it (Sorry, I don't know how to cut and paste a link with this phone).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast