autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

McKee's Paint Coating v2 question

Is there any reason to do two coats of the coating to ensure an even application? And if so, how much time between coats? I'm about to try it for the first time.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKee's Paint Coating v2 question

Nick has said that their coating was designed to be a single coat and that in this case more is not better.
    Bruno Soares

3. Likes AZpolisher15 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently put one coat of the new paint coating on my daily driver and it looks darn nice. Water beads like a champ. McKee's Paint Coating v2 question I think one coat is all you need.

5. Likes AZpolisher15 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup
    Just applied mine yesterday. I used v1 before ehh not bad, but I did like the v2 more-so. I did have more high spots this time, but I liked it more than v1 overall. I used Carpro suedes and the larger Carpro suedes to buff off. Today , truck feels smooth and repelling dust well it seems too.

I applied it and then once done, buffed it off. No dwell, or flashing.

Oh and one coat only, per Nick.

7. Likes Maxreed241, AZpolisher15 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks much, guys. Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Did you guys apply "wet"? Seems I recall nick in a video recommending to apply heavy and then wipe it off.

Post Thanks / Like

That was what I just talked with Nick about yesterday. I never knew he came out with a video showing the application of the V2. All in all, I told him how I did it and he still said just leave it as it. He didnt get back to me in terms of if I did something wrong etc. What I did was primed the Carpro suede with several drops, did a line across the panel and then pulled downward ( from that first line ) to fill the panel, if that makes sense. Once I was down, I buffed until the oily looking coating was gone. My truck is very dark blue, and it looks like an oil slick on the paint, so it was pretty easy to see when removing the coating.

10. Likes AZpolisher15 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZpolisher15 View Post
    Thanks much, guys. Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Did you guys apply "wet"? Seems I recall nick in a video recommending to apply heavy and then wipe it off.
    I applied pretty heavy. My car is silver so it’s hard to see and I don’t like skimping on this product because I feel like the applicator was skipping and too dry.

12. Likes AZpolisher15 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxreed241 View Post
    I applied pretty heavy. My car is silver so it’s hard to see and I don’t like skimping on this product because I feel like the applicator was skipping and too dry.
    Yes,
    That was a common thing I came across when using the lake country yellow wedge applicator. It would squeak and chatter when dry, the carpro suedes were perfect

14. Likes Maxreed241, AZpolisher15 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya I found out that more is not better the hard way last week,

I have 2 bottles of paint coating in my arsenal. When I went to apply the coating to my client's Jaguar both sprayers were clogged up and did not work. I tried to use a syringe but that was clogged up too ;(

So I just removed the sprayer and applied the coating to my appicator micro suede by pressing the bottle against it, wetting a spot and repeating for the lenght of the applicator (about 4 or 5 dabs).

Product went on heavy but my experience with McKee's coating has always been MORE IS BETTER.

Then when I tried to wipe it off, wow, super sticky and super hard to level.

So the V2 is a completelly different beast. Have to go to the dollar store to get some sprayers before my next coating job this week. Not sure why the new product clogs the sprayers but I will have to remember to rinse them off after each job now, something I never had to do with V1.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    So the V2 is a completelly different beast. Have to go to the dollar store to get some sprayers before my next coating job this week. Not sure why the new product clogs the sprayers but I will have to remember to rinse them off after each job now, something I never had to do with V1.
    If you have any empty CarPro or other coating manufacturers bottles with the dropper built in, just clean them out with solvent let them dry and pour your McKee's v2 in there. I use old Gyeon Mohs bottles with the built in dispenser for my McKee's.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast