autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polisher Upgrade from Porter Cable

While I don't own either (yet), I had the opportunity to test drive both the FLEX 3401 and RUPES LHR15 MarkII back to back on a hood at a Sonax tradeshow booth recently, and I must say the operation of the RUPES was much more smooth.

I think the forced rotation of the FLEX plays a part in that. It seemed to pull itself around the panel, requiring more effort to control. But I suppose that's the trade-off for it correcting faster (from what I understand).

So I think since I only work on my own vehicles, which are in pretty good shape and don't need lots of correcting power, I would chose the RUPES to upgrade from my current PC7424XP.

2. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the SK, and I like it a lot. I can only compare it to my old GG6 and it's an improvement over the GG6. I think that it's the way to go if you're not a full time detailer. Sounds like the Maxshine may be even better. Read the Amazon reviews.

4. Likes KBsToy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Flex is a beast of a machine and I would not put it anywhere near the same user experience as a Rupes LHR or Griot's BOSS.

I actually just shipped my G15 back to Griot's to exchange for a G21 which I plan to continue using with the 5" plate and pads. Just want a little more 'horsepower' on the big machine since I'm backing it up with a Rupes Mini for 3" work and a Nano for 1" and 2" work.
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

6. Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCDetails View Post
    The Flex is a beast of a machine and I would not put it anywhere near the same user experience as a Rupes LHR or Griot's BOSS.

I actually just shipped my G15 back to Griot's to exchange for a G21 which I plan to continue using with the 5" plate and pads. Just want a little more 'horsepower' on the big machine since I'm backing it up with a Rupes Mini for 3" work and a Nano for 1" and 2" work.
    Yep, especially with 6.5" pads the Flex can be quite a workout after 6hrs. On the other hand, once you climb on that thing it just gets the job done...just keeps on keepin' on. Rupes 15 is smooth as butter but requires technique. Current favorite is the horizontalBOSS 21, ergonomics preferable to Rupes (for me) as is progressive trigger. On large, flat surfaces like hood, roof and trunk, the BOSS21 w/ 6.5" pad just eats up real estate, a real time saver.

Just wanna wade on in and get the job done? Flex 3401. Wanna enjoy getting the job done? Rupes or BOSS.

8. Likes JustJesus, PaulMys, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I also feel like the Duetto doesn't get much love either, and it's a hell of an upgrade over a PC or GG6. 12mm orbit in a smaller body tool is something to be reckoned with, if that's your preference. I know a lot of people prefer the smaller tools. I myself have huge hands and long arms so I prefer the long body tools a la LHR/BOSS.

Andy Ward (Proficient X) has a modded one with a 6" plate and uses 7" rupes pads on it. Frankenstein of a thing but gets the job done.
    Joe Catanzaro

Post Thanks / Like

I also feel like the Duetto doesn't get much love either, and it's a hell of an upgrade over a PC or GG6. 12mm orbit in a smaller body tool is something to be reckoned with, if that's your preference. I know a lot of people prefer the smaller tools. I myself have huge hands and long arms so I prefer the long body tools a la LHR/BOSS.

Andy Ward (Proficient X) has a modded one with a 6" plate and uses 7" rupes pads on it. Frankenstein of a thing but gets the job done.
    Duetto is my fav polisher. Definitely.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, I got some seat time behind a flex 3401 this past weekend. All I can say is thank the lord I never bought one of those. Maybe it's because I've spent so much time on long throw and free spinning, but I hated the thing. I'm sure I could learn it given time to trial and error, but what a complete lack of enjoyment to use. My BOSS machine gives such a better user experience it's silly.
    Joe Catanzaro

Post Thanks / Like

I’m in the same boat. My PC is worn and I’d like to upgrade. I’m going to Ben purchasing a 15 rupes and pair it with the ibird long neck. Might as well upgrade once.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, I got some seat time behind a flex 3401 this past weekend. All I can say is thank the lord I never bought one of those. Maybe it's because I've spent so much time on long throw and free spinning, but I hated the thing. I'm sure I could learn it given time to trial and error, but what a complete lack of enjoyment to use. My BOSS machine gives such a better user experience it's silly.
    I will say that my first few vehicles were spent trying to tame that beast, but once I got the hang of it, it wasn't an issue.

If I use the 3401 these days, it's no problem. But it did take some time to get there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I will say that my first few vehicles were spent trying to tame that beast, but once I got the hang of it, it wasn't an issue.

If I use the 3401 these days, it's no problem. But it did take some time to get there.
    Once you figure out how to keep the pad truly flat I feel the flex is smooth. Most people do not realize they have been buffing on a slight angle with a free spinning Da untill they grab a 3401.
    Jim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast