autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to tell if I used enough Collinite 845?

Morning all,
    tried Collinite 845 for the first time this weekend. After reading several threads on AGN and a few other detail forums, I was deathly afraid of applying too much and not being able to take it off.

I know I started off using enough- about 5 or 6 pea/dime sized drops on my polishing pad. I figured this covered my entire hood and about 1/2 of the front (3rd gen prius). From there I applied about 2 drops for every 2 sections/panels. Because it goes on so thin, I didn't notice much hazing, even in the areas where I applied the most product.

Any recommendations on testing if it was enough? Considering going over it with a second coat just to be sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to tell if I used enough Collinite 845?

If you could see it you put enough on.

3. Likes RippyD, mightypudge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you used the correct amount. I never notice much of a haze either. Enjoy the rain dance next time you drive in the rain!
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

5. Likes Daviddear30 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From the sounds of things you did OK. As was already noted, if you an see it, it was enough.

I apply it with my polisher, so as long as I can see a slight residue and the pad is applying an even, consistant ammount, I know I applied enough product. When I start seeing white marks, or more than a slight residue, I know I've gone too heavy and it's time to try and even it out.

This weekend I applied 845 for the first time in quite some time. I had to re-learn some of the tricks in the application and one of the important things I had forgotten was timely removal when the weather is hot. Dispite applying in my garage, temps were easily 90 degrees and the sealant dried pretty quickly. I waited 30-ish minutes before removal and should have only waited half that time. Removal was a touch difficult. Not hard, but more difficult than I wanted.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

7. Thanks Kazper thanked for this post
    Likes Kazper, RippyD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know especially on white paint it gets a little hard to see, even with good lighting.

I know well with 845 as case in point just a couple days ago I did Summit White 2013 Camaro ZL1 and I missed a couple very small golf ball sized spots which was caught by the owner as I applied.

I've never used a machine to apply 845. By hand I feel I have better control of laying it down precisely where I want it, and where I don't want it (trim) with a dampened foam applicator, and it applies so easily it doesn't take that long at all.

It's a combination of looking at low angles while applying, and as well taking a little bit of extra time and being methodical while applying, working on small areas, and working from one area to another.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDGolden View Post
    Sounds like you used the correct amount. I never notice much of a haze either. Enjoy the rain dance next time you drive in the rain!
    It was raining like crazy yesterday afternoon. My wife thought I was crazy when I told her to look at the rain rolling off the hood. She just doesn't appreciate the finer things in life!

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem when I had my white Yukon. One tip I learned was when I would get to the point where I thought my applicator was out of 845 I would simply rub it on one of the windows where it shows up easily if you still have product on it. In my case, even when I thought my applicator was out of product I still had plenty left on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Just remind yourself that like only 2-4 microns of the wax/sealant actually remain on the paint after it is wiped off. That's crazy thin.

Post Thanks / Like

I know this tip is now well known, and it's something I've always done with all Collinite Wax products for the last 25 years, whether Paste or Liquid, and that is to dampen an applicator, and squeeze out excess water prior to applying.

And re-prime with a bit of water as you go when needed.

I've always found that a Foam Applicator Pad eases the application of a very thin coat versus using a MF Applicator Pad.

14. Likes RippyD, Finick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    I know this tip is now well known, and it's something I've always done with all Collinite Wax products for the last 25 years, whether Paste or Liquid, and that is to dampen an applicator, and squeeze out excess water prior to applying.

And re-prime with a bit of water as you go when needed.

I've always found that a Foam Applicator Pad eases the application of a very thin coat versus using a MF Applicator Pad.
    This has been something that’s really helped me in applying pretty much any LSP lately.

I spray my applicator with a few sprays of a QD and squeeze it to make sure the whole thing is damp.. really makes for a smoother application, even on products that are already easy to apply. Definitely let’s you stretch the product a lot more.

If I go in with a dry applicator, the very edges always seem really grabby. I’ve dropped an applicator or two trying to spread product too quickly, the edge grabs and it just shoots out of my hand How to tell if I used enough Collinite 845?.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast