autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Super slick QD/drying aid?

If you're buying it by the gallon or large quantities, it probably isn't as economical as a waterless wash product. However, as someone who only maintains 3~4 private vehicles, it isn't too bad. I'm now into my second detailing season and my single, $22, 34oz bottle is still half full. I fully expect it to last until the Fall when I quit detailing. $11 year isn't too bad considering it's a really good product.

I'd really like to try ECH2O, but a single bottle at QD ratio's will last me forever!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    It is pretty expensive per oz, right, compared to Uber and all of the rinseless/waterless dilution concoctions? A gallon (4 bottles) is over $80. $80 for a gallon of Uber is going to yield 40 gallons of QD or 40x cheaper per oz./gal.
    Can't say. I'm not really sure I've ever looked at their pricing. Not sure why. Maybe cuz I already have too many products? haha. Not enough cars to use them on

Post Thanks / Like

On Monday I had a chance to try out PBW Spray & Gloss and Nanoskin Nano Shock.

It was a beautiful sunny afternoon, about 72-75 degrees if I recall. Despite the temps being relatively comfortable, water evaporation was very rapid. So up first was PBW. The first thing I noticed was the trigger spray head. Its horrible! I could not get an adjustment that had a nice fine mist. Not even a decent mist. It gave this weird spray pattern that spit out a stream of heavy product in part of the mist. Plus the handle was way too long. I felt like my hand had to be almost all the way open at the rest position before pulling the handle. Anyways, applying the PBW on each panel and wiping off was simple enough. It gave an average slick feeling but nothing that blew me away. When moving the product around on the panel just before the final buff, I still felt a little drag on the paint. I also felt that it didn't quite buff off completely. The vehicle did have a few water droplets leftover from the rinse but nothing excessive by any means (this PBW spray is meant to be used as drying aid). There was just a very tiny bit of hazing.

After a few panels of this with the trigger thing and the hazing, I got annoyed and switched out to the Nanoskin...

I should have read the instructions carefully on the Nanoskin bottle. Because it clearly says not to apply in the sun or hot surface. The wifes Dodge minivan is a charcoal metallic gray so the vertical panels aren't that easy to see hazing and such. But the glass surely is. As I was applying and wiping off I could see the horrific haze all over the glass. Shoot! More wasted time and now I have to clean all this up!

I went and grabbed my trusty mix of WG Uber (3 oz to 1 gal of distilled water) and finished the whole vehicle. Its amazing to see just how good this stuff is after trying out a few products already. Sure its not insanely slick but it wipes on easily and wipes off streak free! PLUS the Uber took care of most of the water spotting I had. With the heaviest spotting on the roof, if it wouldn't come off in the first few wipes I would just keep the towel (wet with Uber) pressed on the spot for a few seconds and its as if it was slowly dissolving and lifting the mineral deposits away.

I still have DG 931 to mix up and also TW Wax & Dry to test.

4. Likes osiapstndp, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about your experiences with both products. Much different from my own. Although, the one time I tried Nanoshock, I was expecting a bit more, myself.

I still have the Uber (and Ultima) on my list to try. Just not yet.

Thanks for updating us with your thoughts and experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Hoping no one takes offense to this, but I had a bad experience with this stuff, and just thought I may save someone some coin by going with the stuff you guys are talking about in this thread. I did NOT search the 8 pages to see if anyone likes it, so sorry if so.......

CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant 1 Liter

Love their other products, but this stuff left the biggest, fattest, hard to remove Water Marks all over my truck!!
    Perhaps the truck was not in tip top condition and maybe it would've made a difference if so, but I followed these instructions to the letter, and did NOT like what I saw. If anyone here DID have a good experience with it- May hat is off to ya!

Look forward to trying out a few yoo's guys mention here! (Definitely want something PPF Safe though! )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny Fitz View Post
    Hoping no one takes offense to this, but I had a bad experience with this stuff, and just thought I may save someone some coin by going with the stuff you guys are talking about in this thread. I did NOT search the 8 pages to see if anyone likes it, so sorry if so.......

CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant 1 Liter

Love their other products, but this stuff left the biggest, fattest, hard to remove Water Marks all over my truck!!
    Perhaps the truck was not in tip top condition and maybe it would've made a difference if so, but I followed these instructions to the letter, and did NOT like what I saw. If anyone here DID have a good experience with it- May hat is off to ya!

Look forward to trying out a few yoo's guys mention here! (Definitely want something PPF Safe though! )
    Hydro2 does not really apply to the topic of this thread since its a touch-less spray on sealant. This thread is discussing spray-on detailers/waxes to be used when drying off a wet vehicle, to enhance slickness and gloss while you dry off the car. Not so much for protection per say.

I have used Hydro2 before and its really hard to mess it up because its so easy to apply. Assuming you weren't in direct sunlight OR the panels were not warm or hot I can't see how spotting can occur. You say the truck was not in tip top condition. This may be a factor too as the paint should be contaminant free as well as free of any prior wax type products which will interfere with the bonding/adherence of Hydro2 to the paint. I think also, too much product sprayed or prolonged intervals between application and rinse may give spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Today I tried out DG 931 (3 oz to 16 oz distilled water). It was 95 degrees out but I decided to wait until there was shade. And I also decided to wait until AFTER I dried the car instead of being wet before I applied it.

WOW. This stuff really adds the slickness I was after! I was really impressed. Gloss was pretty good too although since I was in the shade it's hard to gauge that's it any better than any other QD that I've tried. I'll see what it looks like tomorrow in the sun.

Overall this one is so far at the top of my list.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone found any of these products to actually repel dust build up?

I wash with CG Honeydew, but have used Megs Gold Class, Megs UWW, and CG Wash & Gloss, and even sitting in a parking garage, by car gets a layer of dust that doesn't blow off when I start driving or even when taking a blower to it.

I find the same to be true when using GG Speed Shine and Megs X-press Spray Wax.

This is on top of a layer of Megs UW and Fast Finish.

Very frustrating to see the flat parts of my clean black car wrecked in a day with all this dust.

TIA!

Post Thanks / Like

I personally feel like “anti static” properties are a lot of hype.

Fact is that where I am, my car is outside 99% of the time. If I do a rinseless wash outside instead of pulling into the garage, by time I’ve gone around the car stuff has already started to settle on it in <20 minutes.

I don’t think any amount of “anti static” properties will stop my car from accumulating pollen during pollen season, or just whatever else is floating through the air.

I could be wrong, I know some people say carnuba attracts pollen during pollen season, but whether it’s been carnuba or a sealant, my car gets hammered with the stuff.

I’ve also heard products like d156 and UWW+ contain silicones (or silicon, whichever it is) which can, allegedly, attract dust. This apparently also makes them easier to work with, afaik. Or at least during an optimum synergy podcast I think Yvan mentions the main reason ONR isn’t as slippery on the paint is because it doesn’t utilize silicone like some other products.

Whatever the case - if my car is outside it’s going to get dusty, and I haven’t found anything that’ll stop that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Thanks JMak97008 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you need a California Car Duster (oh the horror!). I'm gonna get hammered for this... but imo a piece of yarn dragging a dust particle isn't going to scratch clear coat. When used properly, they work great. No, you don't lay it on the surface under its own weight and rub it back and forth several times. You hold it about 4" above the surface so just the tips of the "yarn" are in contact with the paint. You slowly move the tips across the surface and any dust on your vehicle will be removed. Mostly a non issue on vertical panels.

Can you "wash" your car with a California Car Duster? Of course not. But when used correctly, it's less damaging than a wash mitt during a 2 bucket method wash. Would I use it when my car is covered in yellow pollen? No, of course not. But when it's slightly dusty between washes I think it's actually more gentle than a 2bm car wash. Just my opinion

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast