autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New to detailing

I’ve always taken care of my cars. Old school and new ones. I’ve always had them detailed every to every other year. I clean and wax myself though. I recently decided to start doing the whole process myself. I got a DA “dumb ass” polisher and some nice pads. Got some Meguiars ultimate comp and polish. I usually use ONR to wash and megs clay and GC wax. I went to town on my truck after watching some videos and reading. It looks great!
    The real question is when have I gone to far and am about to over polish or compound my paint to creating a problem with the clear coat or paint? I live in Lincoln CA for area reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

2. Likes ACCLAY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to detailing

Welcome to AGO! As for going too far with the polishing it depends on the DA you have. If it is a Harbor Freight or a PC7424 XP or a Griots 6" you should be OK. But again, I do not know your technique and method. But welcome and please show some Pics!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

4. Likes Sams240z liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sams240z View Post
    I’ve always taken care of my cars. Old school and new ones. I’ve always had them detailed every to every other year. I clean and wax myself though. I recently decided to start doing the whole process myself. I got a DA “dumb ass” polisher and some nice pads. Got some Meguiars ultimate comp and polish. I usually use ONR to wash and megs clay and GC wax. I went to town on my truck after watching some videos and reading. It looks great!
    The real question is when have I gone to far and am about to over polish or compound my paint to creating a problem with the clear coat or paint? I live in Lincoln CA for area reference.

I don’t think you can ever go to far! But I think the only thing that determines that is your pocket book!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ​@FREAKIN52 AUTO DETAILING!

6. Likes UncleDavy, Sams240z liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ACCLAY View Post
    I don’t think you can ever go to far! But I think the only thing that determines that is your pocket book!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Amen. You can never go too far. I am always looking for the next level of crazy.

8. Thanks ACCLAY thanked for this post
    Likes Sams240z, ACCLAY liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Welcome to AGO! As for going too far with the polishing it depends on the DA you have. If it is a Harbor Freight or a PC7424 XP or a Griots 6" you should be OK. But again, I do not know your technique and method. But welcome and please show some Pics!
    As for my technique I go in small sections according to panel shape. Left to right and up n down. I move at a slow constant speed. Harbor freight da for now and LC pads.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My main concern is cutting through the clear. Now that it’s corrected I plan on just washing and waxing with marring and creating swirling. Any suggestions are appreciated. I have been combing this forum and learning daily. I just never saw a hey don’t do this more than once a year or the clear will be gone in 10 years...lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sams240z View Post
    My main concern is cutting through the clear. Now that it’s corrected I plan on just washing and waxing with marring and creating swirling. Any suggestions are appreciated. I have been combing this forum and learning daily. I just never saw a hey don’t do this more than once a year or the clear will be gone in 10 years...lol

I don't think you need to worry about going through your clear coat. BTW, Nice ride and your work looks real nice. You have a Ford as I do (Mustang GT) and Ford paint is pretty hard (durable). It would be very difficult for you to remove your clear coat with your harbor Freight DA. The Lake Country Pads are my Go-to pads too. As for your yearly maintenance; my guess you would need to only polish instead of compounding as your maintenance. You might not even have to do it. That depends on your wash/dry technique. IMO that is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT thing in detailing. If the wash/dry technique is done right, you really shouldn't have to compound, but maybe a light polish. But you will get minor scratches REGARDLESS!!! Dust, pollen, rain, bird poop and many other external elements will SCRATCH your ride.

Your clear should be fine and you should have 10 years of clear left if properly maintained!

Take care
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

14. Thanks Sams240z thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Sams240z liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used a PC7424 for years, it produces a good finish. While it's not impossible to burn through the clear with a DA, it takes some work. Mike Phillips taught detailing for years using a DA. How you use the DA (technique), your combination of pad and product makes all the difference. Welcome to AGO.

16. Likes Sams240z liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I also used PC 7424 for years, correct pad with right compind or polish you can do about anything. Patience, slow and steady always works for me, it's to easy to get in a rush specially when it's a long day and hours of working on a car, take your time. If you don't want to practice on your car hit the junkyard for cheap good or fender ro test on. Mike Phillip's put together some great videos along with many other on youtube.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

18. Likes Sams240z liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast