autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Gift for Japanese Client

I do business in Japan and and other parts of Asia and I wanted to get a detailing gift for a client who likes cars.

The gift-giving protocol has some complications. It should be small, inexpensive (relatively) and unique. It should not be so expensive that it creates reciprocity and obligation, in other words, don't over-do it and make the receiver feel obligated.

They don't have much access to anything more than what you might see at the auto parts store so pro products are probably not useful. Gyeon, Meguiars and Griots is widely available in Asia so that would not be novel.

I was thinking about McKee's 37 Glass Coating, glass sealant, rain repellent with a few pads and MF towels. I really like this stuff and the spray bottle is the best method I've seen for coating glass. I could wrap it up in a small box and the client would not only appreciate the gift and the wonderful outcome it provides, especially considering how rainy it is in most of Asia and I believe the gift would be well-received.

I was also thinking of a bottle of OCW, another product I really like or its chief rival Fast Wax. The problem is, I don't know the condition of his paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gift for Japanese Client

I'd say a nice Bottle of Sake might be a better choice. Detailing goods, nope. He'll never forget that nice bottle of Rice Wine, he'll entertain his guests, friends, family with it. A bottle of some window stuff sounds so boring.

3. Likes LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    I do business in Japan and and other parts of Asia and I wanted to get a detailing gift for a client who likes cars.

The gift-giving protocol has some complications. It should be small, inexpensive (relatively) and unique. It should not be so expensive that it creates reciprocity and obligation, in other words, don't over-do it and make the receiver feel obligated.

They don't have much access to anything more than what you might see at the auto parts store so pro products are probably not useful. Gyeon, Meguiars and Griots is widely available in Asia so that would not be novel.

I was thinking about McKee's 37 Glass Coating, glass sealant, rain repellent with a few pads and MF towels. I really like this stuff and the spray bottle is the best method I've seen for coating glass. I could wrap it up in a small box and the client would not only appreciate the gift and the wonderful outcome it provides, especially considering how rainy it is in most of Asia and I believe the gift would be well-received.

I was also thinking of a bottle of OCW, another product I really like or its chief rival Fast Wax. The problem is, I don't know the condition of his paint.
    I like the McKee's idea.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

5. Thanks Route246 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 for the glass coating. Something that is not available there, as well as thoughtful for the weather/climate he will experience. Well thought out!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

7. Thanks Route246 thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Mark's idea, I'd go with the booze. The client may open it during a small gathering of friends and you'd be part of the conversation which may lead to a few referrals. Go to a well stocked liquor store and talk to a knowledgable employee about some newer products from well known companies in your price zone.

Post Thanks / Like

American whiskeys and bourbons are huge in Japan. A bottle of a craft whiskey not readily available there may be the ticket, and many will not break the bank if bought here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    American whiskeys and bourbons
    are huge in Japan.
    ^^^

So is American moonshine.
    In a Mason jar.

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    The gift-giving protocol has some
    complications. It should be small,
    inexpensive (relatively) and unique.

It should not be so expensive that it
    creates reciprocity and obligation...
    IMO:
    Even a pint-sized Mason jar’s worth
    of moonshine would be viewed as a
    kingly-sized gift.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

This thread reminded me of an experience I had many moons ago. I was the Airport Ops Director at an airport and we were preparing for an advance planning visit by the Japanese gov't prior to to a very very high ranking official arriving (in his personal B-747!). Gifts would be exchanged an the US State Dept. schooled us on Japanese customs regarding gifts in the Japanese culture. They handed out books on the subject and the only thing I remember is NOTHING RED IN COLOR! For some reason that is against their culture.

I'm sure there is info online as to what to avoid.

Oh, and I received an 18kt gold Japan Air Lines logo statue! Still have it.