autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Poor Wolfgang sealant endurance, need input

Six months ago I fully detailed my black 2015 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack using Menzerna Super Finish 3500 and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. I used a DA polisher and took my time. The job took me 2 days but came out great! I was able to remove pretty much everything except deeper isolated scratches. My problem is that about 4-5 months later it is like the sealant just completely disappeared. Water spots starting showing up along with swirl marks. Now that I am at a little over 6 months my cars paint looks worse than it should with a lot of water spots.

My car is stored in a garage all of the time. I work from home and there are days when my car doesnt even leave the garage. I wash my car using a two bucket system with Meguiars mirror bright car shampoo.

When I first purchased my car in 2015 I did a complete detail job using Duragloss 601/105 combo and it lasted nearly a year. At that time my car was parked in an open garage but I also drove it to work daily and it sat in an outside parking lot during the day.

Did I do anything wrong using the Wolfgang sealant or is it not expected to last that long? Ideally I would not mind planning on doing my car every 6 months but ideally I would like something to last that long to prevent from using more clear coat up trying to correct problems. Any advice or input is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Poor Wolfgang sealant endurance, need input

Nothin' wrong, sealants and waxes fade over time. If you want something that stays use a coating. 5 months is pretty on par for WGDGPS.
    Back to the full-time grind.

3. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang should last around 6 months in a northeast US climate (not sure where you are). Even when any LSP is still present, water spots can occur. It probably depends on what’s in the water, etc. Wiping with a QD has usually made the water spots disappear on WG DGPS for me.

LSPs do not prevent swirls either, how you touch the paint can help reduce them. But, maybe the WG DGPS was gone at the time you noticed these. Longevity is determined by many factors including initial prep, climate, washing, etc.

When you say that 4-5 months the coat disappeared, did it stop beading at that time?

Post Thanks / Like

Using WG instant detailer as a drying aid and WG DG spray sealant as an LSP would help to keep that original coat last longer. I've used both to maintain a DD SUV w WGDGS on it when I had some and they are really nice products with excellent water repellency. I still use the spray sealant and plan to order a gallon of the WG QD when my last touch QD gallon runs out.

Then of course you can always top w Fuzion which is another pleasant product to work with. Price not so much.

4-5 months with no spray or QD to assist is actually not that bad.

There's another topic on here putting sealants up against each other side by side on the hoods of the guys 2 cars. His WG section didn't last 4-5 months.

Mike Phillips

Most people get at least 6 months of protection out of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 2.0

How long anything lasts depends on how the vehicle is "touched" after application. By touched, this means washing, drying or wiping.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    Nothin' wrong, sealants and waxes fade over time. If you want something that stays use a coating. 5 months is pretty on par for WGDGPS.
    Either that or top the sealant off with some spray wax/sealant once a month or so.

8. Likes Powerman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would Retry the 601/105 combo and see if you get that longevity again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrm523 View Post
    My problem is that about 4-5 months
    later it is like the sealant just completely
    disappeared.
    In the simplest of definitions: Sealants
    are synthetic (man-made) “Waxes”.

•I usually am blessed with WDGPS providing
    ~6 months of the “just shined look”—more
    than 2-3 times of most all-natural Waxes.

-As such:
    I like the following Mike Phillips’ rational
    (please pardon my paraphrasing):

“If you want your vehicle to look like
    it’s ‘just been waxed’, then go ahead
    and ‘wax’ it.”

Quote Originally Posted by jrm523 View Post
    Did I do anything wrong using
    the Wolfgang sealant...
    From your posting information:
    it doesn’t appear so.

•I’ve found that its main caveat is:
    after applying WDGPS there is an
    expressed 12 hour window in which
    it needs to remain moisture free.
    -(This is said to ensure that the product
    attains its best overall performance.)

-Did you allow for this moisture-free window?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I would go through your washing and maintance technique. Since Menzerna sf3500 did get you a swirl free finish it says to me that your clearcoat is on the softer side. Did you use any ipa or a panel wipe product after sf3500? It's has alot of polishing oils in it that could fill some swirls. And know when your sealant is gone those comes visible again. Just a thought.

If you think you installs the wash indused swirls. I would go through the wash media products you use.

The car soap could need a better lubrication one. If you like Meguiars products their Hyper Wash D110 seems to be a great choice. Or if you like something with glossenhancers in it Schampoo Plus D111 could be an option. I like carpro reset but be carefull and dilute it no stronger than recommended 1:500. It's great lubrication and cleaning ability is top notch and don't leave anything behind.

Then is the wash mitt. Feel it if it's an old one and consider to get new ones. I like the mf wash mitt I linking to. Or a super plush mf chenille mitt.

XtraFluff Blue Microfiber Wash Mitt

Gold Plush Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt, microfiber chenille wash mitt

Then you have the drying part. You can blowdry your car and dry what little water that is left with a drying towel. Some like to use drying aid to get a little more lubrication and gloss. IMO a great quality mf drying towel like Griots Garage PFM or Gyeon Silk Dryer or a super plush mf drying towel is gentle and don't marr the paint. Remember that a mf towel gets old too and need to be change to a new one. And the inspection of them is important and also that you wash them after every use with a mf detergent.

The mf towels you use to touch the paint with is also important to be of a high quality. And also have an eye on them if they needs to be buying new ones. The maintance of them with inspection and proper washing.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I've ever had an instance using any sealant or wax, and have it last more than 6 months.

Not Duragloss, WGDGPS 3.0., Menzerna Powerlock, Zaino, Megs, nothing.

The only ones that came close was Collinte #845, and even better, Collinite #476/915.

Particularly if you're not helping it along after a wash with a good spray detailer or spray wax, aquawax, etc.

Often there's too many variables to conclude that something went wrong, the product was not up to spec, etc.

13. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast