autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help - What am I doing wrong or is my product not good enough - Leather cleaning interior

I’ve always found those round brushes to work great on leather to lift the dirt. I use the boars hair one made by wheel whoolies.

Wheel Woolies Boar?s Hair Detail Brush 1 inch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help - What am I doing wrong or is my product not good enough - Leather cleaning interior

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    That leather looks pretty dirty/beat up. You may need to try a more aggressive cleaner and see if that helps. Possibly even a brush attachment on one of your polishers. Steam, if you have a steamer, could also be beneficial here IMO.

Just remember: always do an area that is inconspicuous to check to see if the product/method you use is color fast--doesn't strip the dye from the leather.

Hope this helps you, and keep us posted!
    What would be a more aggresive cleaner? All I really have is Meguiar's upholstery cleaner and some Sonax multistar APC.

Also I know htis might seem like a dumb question but testing for inconspicuous area... where would that be for a seat. Like at the same time you wanna see how well it's going to clean so it will be on a dirty surface? If I clean the side bottom of the seat it won't be super dirty uh?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ebg18t View Post
    I’ve always found those round brushes to work great on leather to lift the dirt. I use the boars hair one made by wheel whoolies.

Wheel Woolies Boar?s Hair Detail Brush 1 inch

That exactly what I used kinda, round brush with brown hairs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    With really dirty leather and other surfaces you need to go over them multible times. The use of a more effective product and method holds down the number of times. When cleaning those neglected ones an APC and spray on a magic eraser and scrub the leather with. Work in small sections when doing heavy cleaning is prefered so the chemicals don't dry up on you. And follow up with mf towel that is a little more than damp or a cleaner that don't need to be rinsed off. And as mentioned above test spot to an inconspicuous place first. Then if some dirt is left it's a defective work to find out what kind of dirt it is and find a cleaner that desolves just that kind of dirt. It's important to evaluate how much the leather is weared if the leather coating is weared off or not.

Ultima Interior Schampo Gel is a great product and also very safe. Use as a first step and move up in aggressiveness if it's not gets cleaned enough. Then the Ultima Interior Guard Plus is an awesome protection to leather after it's cleaned. And is easy for the customer to maintain till it's time for a new detailing.

Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel, interior cleaner, upholstery cleaner

Ultima Interior Guard Plus 4 oz., interior protectant, rubber & vinyl protectant, rubber dressing

Then you have the Sonax Leather Foam and combined with the their Dirt Eraser which is the same as a magic eraser sponge. And don't worry about the review where it's says they don't hold up. The magic eraser sponges wears down quite fast and is how they works. Sonax has an Alcantra cleaner too which is great. Alcantra is a very sensitive surface and you could ruin it when you approach it the normal ways. It's not so common with alcantra but when you stumble on them it's good to know what you dealing with.

SONAX Leather Foam Leather Cleaner & Conditioner, Sonax leather cleaner conditioner, sonax leather care

SONAX Dirt Eraser

SONAX Upholstery and Alcantara Cleaner, best alcantara cleaner

https://www.autogeek.net/best-leathe...-for-auto.html
    I am a huge Sonax fanboy I guess I will get that leather foam cleaner and their brush. And for the upholstrery/alcantara cleaner at it's price point, I guess it's really more of a alcantara cleaner and maybe use their APC for upholstery cleaner and stains?

5. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
    What would be a more aggresive cleaner? All I really have is Meguiar's upholstery cleaner and some Sonax multistar APC.

Also I know htis might seem like a dumb question but testing for inconspicuous area... where would that be for a seat. Like at the same time you wanna see how well it's going to clean so it will be on a dirty surface? If I clean the side bottom of the seat it won't be super dirty uh?
    I’m using the McKee’s 37 leather shampoo. It’s been strong enough with the round brush fir what I’ve encountered.

McKee's 37 Leather Shampoo 70/30

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
    I am a huge Sonax fanboy I guess I will get that leather foam cleaner and their brush. And for the upholstrery/alcantara cleaner at it's price point, I guess it's really more of a alcantara cleaner and maybe use their APC for upholstery cleaner and stains?
    Absolutely I would do that too with the their APC. Use the alcantra cleaner on alcantra and sensitive upholstry like the interior roof upholstry or other suede like upholstry textile. The APC is not for use on leather and clear plastic like headlights and the meters in the car.

Post Thanks / Like

D181 and a horsehair brush or yellow leather scrubber is the way to go IMO.
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

9. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You might want to try Leather Honey. I've found that it rehydrates and "heals" old, dried out, leather. I cleaned with Lexol Cleaner, applied leather stain (like shoe polish) and used the Leather Honey as directed. Changed my 24 year old Corvette seats to like brand new.

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered the Sonax leather and some more brushes and the Sonax leather brush to. I will report the results.

12. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sonax leather foam is a top quality product, but I’m not certain where it falls in the ‘strength’ range. I forgot to mention gyeon leather cleaner as another great option.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast