autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Disappointed with collinite 845. All hazy! Any advice?

I was looking for a new option from Zaino. Not a fan of the zfx and clear seal. So i decided to do a full detail and paint correction on my black mustang. First m105 then m205 then Amiga then collinite. I also did a small hood section with zaino and the roof half zaino half collinite with no Amiga under. Right away with a bright light 845 was better shine then zaino. First day in sun was incredible. I get home and hours later I see haze everywhere but zaino. I clean the car then detail mist the car and everything awesome. Next day same thing. Detail it again and haze a day later. I also did another car. Zaino, meguiars ultimate and 845. I applied the collinite very very thin and it was warmed up. Looked so good. 3 days later haze all on the collinite areas. None on the others. Washing doesn't remove. Only detail mist with some good rubbing. I so want to love this stuff. So easy on and off. Great shine at first. I just can't deal with the haze though.

2. Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Disappointed with collinite 845. All hazy! Any advice?

I know you said you applied the 845 thin, but from your description it sound like you applied too heavy. Sounds like you are getting...um...what did we used to call that? Sweating.

Also M205 is a very oily polish, there may be some residues from that that could interfere, particularly I would think with the Zaino.

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds like what some have experienced with #845, the sweating. I've not ever experienced it on any vehicle I used it on, and it's been numerous vehicles over the years.

Not sure if such was caused by any interactions from other products, the polishes, or that Amigo is it called, that's a glaze, correct?

Not sure why you would then need a glaze after polishing? Again, that might also be causing some havoc? Not sure.

Not sure if it's specific weather conditions which causes this colly sweating or what? Others might know better than I.

About all I can say is that if such a product is knocking you through a hoop on this specific vehicle, looks like you'll have to drop it, and switch to something else.

There's 100's of other great products and combos out there.

Post Thanks / Like

I might ask what were the qualities you didn't like about Zaino? Hard removal, hard sterile shine, doesn't last, what may I ask?

May I ask what type of look would you prefer, a glassy shine with very hard sharp reflections, or a warmer nuba look and glow?

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve never had the issue either, and I’ve applied 845 as an LSP to 5 different vehicles a total of approximately 10-15 times. However, I have experienced a similar issue years ago when I went too heavy on NXT.

Would a cleaner wax fix this issue, then go back with a different LSP? Wonder if you got a bad batch. I’d contact Collinite.

Keep us posted on this issue.
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used zaino exclusively for 15 years. In general it has worked great. Maybe shine is a bit boring. I always had silver cars so better shine didn't matter. Now I have a black and charcoal and was looking for more wet look and only driven on nice days. I dont like the zxf mixing. I used to like the old z1 method.
    The first black car I polished I used the Amiga because the polishing has gone about as far as I want to go. Paint is now very flat with small imperfections left. Amiga did great as a little filler. Made the black blacker. I didn't think m205 has any oils. The paint is sweaky clean after use.
    Also the first black car I used 845 on I washed in dawn. The roof I did no paint correction or Amiga. Just applied straight 845. That area hazed just as much. I will admit the first application was cool and 845 was a little thick and didn't apply thin enough. But detail spraying the car 3 times to a perfect shine and it still comes back a day in sun. The second car I applied very thin and the 845 was very fluid on a warmer day. 3 little dots to do half the car. It spreads incredibly easy and far. Comes off so easy too. No prep to this car other the dawn to wash off last year's zaino. I swear 845 made the metallic pop best. Awesome in the sun. Next day a light hazy. Less then the hazy issue on the black car but still noticeable. A wipe with my finger takes it off. It really is annoying to worry about perfect conditions and application or I'm wiping it clean for days later. I mean every single inch this is on it gets hazy. I would think by accident I would apply thin enough somewhere since I really could barely see where I applied it the second car. Then I see some apply 2 coats. As I wash the car I can feel it is more slippy then the zaino side. Even while removing the 845 side is a bit slicker. I love everything else about 845. I will get in touch with collinite and see what they say. I didn't see anything special with meguiar's ultimate paste. Might end up sticking with zaino or try duragloss products. But with these dark cars now I might like the wax blow best.

Post Thanks / Like

I would try Collinite 325 ( cleaner wax ) to get any contaminates off the paint then apply 845 to see if that works. It is all in the same family so maybe it will cure your issue. I did have some hazing after using Collinite 870 on Silver but disappeared after applying 476s on top of it. That was before 325 was released.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I used 845 for years on my boat and my car, and generally got good results. However I have had a haze like you are talking about once or twice, it was always because the surface was not Pristine, but contaminated with something. It is imperative that 845 go right against clean virgin paint decontaminated with Carpro eraser, IPA, etc.

All that being said, it was'nt worth to me having to buff it off and get it out of my badges and crannies, So I switched to clear sealants, like crystal seal or Ultima paint guard. Much happier now. Wipe on, walk away.
    Glen -

10. Likes 1500canoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Could be the surfactans left by the dawn soap that makes it haze. Try an ipa wipe down or a panel wipe product to be safe that you get a clean surface to apply to. Wonder if not a polish would be the best way to get the zaino off. The effectiveness of dawn has been up before and maybe to a LSP on it's end would effective. But the surfactans left by dawn even if heavy rinsed often stays some on the paint. A aggressive tar remover or a paint prep product that painters use is an effective chemical cleaners. But with a thick and newly applyied LSP a polish is needed to get a bare paint.

12. Likes 1500canoe liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others who said that something under the Collinite might be the issue - either the Dawn, glaze, etc. I have not been using 845 long but I always do an IPA wipedown and a paint cleaner (Pinnacle cleansing lotion) prior to applying 845.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast