autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What is on my tires?

I just bought a new to me sports car. The car has Yokohama s drive tires. The first time I cleaned the tires using my tuf shine tire brush and apc, I had black stuff that came off the tires and didn’t come off the brush. I have never cleaned performance summer tires, is this just a result of sticky tires? Or is this just product that the PO used? What do you think? What is on my tires?-img_1824-jpgWhat is on my tires?-img_1825-jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is on my tires?

Looks like some solvent/petroleum based dressing the previous owner used.

I had the same thing happen to me cleaning some RV tires a while back. I couldn't get the stuff off my brand new Speed Master brush. I had to throw the brush away.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guy View Post
    I just bought a new to me sports car. The car has Yokohama s drive tires. The first time I cleaned the tires using my tuf shine tire brush and apc, I had black stuff that came off the tires and didn’t come off the brush. I have never cleaned performance summer tires, is this just a result of sticky tires? Or is this just product that the PO used? What do you think? What is on my tires?-img_1824-jpgWhat is on my tires?-img_1825-jpg

Lets see the tires?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
    Looks like some solvent/petroleum based dressing the previous owner used.

I had the same thing happen to me cleaning some RV tires a while back. I couldn't get the stuff off my brand new Speed Master brush. I had to throw the brush away.
    RV tires can be a whole different animal. Especially those regroovable tires... I’ll never come near any of those tires with a brush again. What a nightmare + ruined my brushes. Lol.

4. Likes FrankS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen it on a few vehicles. I don't even try to get it all off anymore. Take some off and tell them it'll have to wait for Mother Nature to work some majic
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I took some pictures but you can’t really see anything. It’s been at least a month since whatever the PO put on and a few weeks since I cleaned the tires. Here’s my plan: clean the tires 2-4 times and test some new apc’s I haven’t tried yet/play around with dilution ratios then apply 2 coats of perl.

What are your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Most likely some armor all or black magic applied. I would recommend a degreaser undiluted and go from there.

Post Thanks / Like

Try stoners tarminator and see if that cleans up your brush. I have had success doing that.

Post Thanks / Like

>>> I have never cleaned performance summer tires, is this just a result of sticky tires? <<<

No. I have P-Zero Corsa's on my fun car and they definitely do not do that. Some TufShine (and brush) cleans mine right up.
    I have Opti TireGel, 303 Balm, DG Tire Dressing and GTechniq T1 and NONE of them result in that kind of mess.

I'll defer to others to recommend 'what do I do next'. Maybe some serious stuff like Tarminator, TarX, Citrol etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by howardm4 View Post
    >>> I have never cleaned performance summer tires, is this just a result of sticky tires? <<<

No. I have P-Zero Corsa's on my fun car and they definitely do not do that. Some TufShine (and brush) cleans mine right up.
    I have Opti TireGel, 303 Balm, DG Tire Dressing and GTechniq T1 and NONE of them result in that kind of mess.

I'll defer to others to recommend 'what do I do next'. Maybe some serious stuff like Tarminator, TarX, Citrol etc.
    No, if it's what I think it is it's some petroleum based product. Extremely thick and greasy. You can touch the tire two weeks after it's applied and it will make your finger/hand black and greasy. From my experience it takes 2-3 cleaning over abot 4-6 weeks to get that stuff off. I've never tried a degreaser, not really good for the tire, but in this case it might work. I worked in the tire business for years. I used to hate it when customers would bring in cars with that crap on the tires.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guy View Post
    I took some pictures but you can’t really see anything. It’s been at least a month since whatever the PO put on and a few weeks since I cleaned the tires. Here’s my plan: clean the tires 2-4 times and test some new apc’s I haven’t tried yet/play around with dilution ratios then apply 2 coats of perl.

What are your thoughts?

IDK but after a certain point I wonder if you are just damaging the rubber with all the different chemicals?

The best tire cleaner I've ever used is the Mckees tire and rubber rejuvenator.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast