autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Time for a new polisher

Hey guys, first time posting and looking for a little help.

First, I have been detailing family vehicles for several (4+) years and even started a little side business. When I first jumped in to paint correction I bought a Torq polisher and I have regretted it ever since. I can get decent results but it seems to take forever. i have done a lot of reading about all the different polishers and I am finally ready to buy a different one.

There are so many choices out there, GG6 - Flex 3401 - Rupes. Which one should I make the jump to? I am thinking the Flex but what if I am not good enough and burn my paint? Obviously I will practice more before I use it on customers vehicles, but I don't want to screw up my vehicle either.

Thanks in advance, love this group, have gained a lot of knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time for a new polisher

Welcome to the forum!!

Asking which polisher to get on here, you will get tons of opinions. From your post, I see you are detailing as a business. Time is money, and a forced rotation like the Flex, or a long-throw polisher like the Griot's 15 or 21 will yield quicker results.

I have the GG6, and I love it. But, I only do my Truck and wife's Jeep.

Maybe get an old hood or panel from the scrap yard to practice on if you get the Flex?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Also note that the GG6 is in a different, much lower price level than everything else mentioned. All the top-tier units hover around $400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by howardm4 View Post
    Also note that the GG6 is in a different, much lower price level than everything else mentioned. All the top-tier units hover around $400
    Yes, but that is because they are really two different animals.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

The GG6 is largely considered an 'entry level' machine, even though it has enough power and versatility to handle just about anything you can throw at it. If you've been using a Torq for 4+ years, it seems as though you're ready for a bigger leap. As previously mentioned, you're starting into a distinctly different price point than either the GG6 or the Torq. If you're prepared to make that commitment, the long-throw offerings from Griots (G15 or G21) would be a logical option. I've never used a forced rotation DA, so I can not speak to a learning curve versus a free spinning DA.

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently went through the same process looking for a polisher. You have way more expierence then me as I’m just starting out. I went to a class at autogeek Wednesday night though and was able to use every polisher imaginable. Now granted it was only for a limited amount of time but I decided on the flex 3401. I’m not a pro but I think you might be overthinking the forced rotation part.

On the plus side with so many great options available now it’s a great time to be in the market for a new polisher. Good luck with what ever you decide on and keep us posted..

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome to the forum!
    Not knowing where you're located, you just never know that you may have another forum member local to you, who has some various machines to let you inspect, and even try? I'd consider adding such to your member profile.

As for the Flex 3401 Polisher, I've never personally used one. But from using Rotary Polishers back in my infancy I think I have a good hankering of what to expect.

That while yes, in inexperienced hands I suppose one could burn through a clearcoat, or instill some wicked paint marring, especially on either thin, or old paint finishes.

That there would be some similar precautions, you stay away from edges on panels, and gain experience with operation, and the required combination of compatible pads and polishes to get the job done. No less, and no more.

I started with the PC7424XP, nice little machine, very happy with it, bought it here, and all the backing plates and pads I would ever use-need.

Then earlier this year, I decided to buy the Griots Boss 15 DA. Again a free wheeling DA, caught a nice sale, but it is probably a more powerful and capable machine than the PC, and it has a lifetime warrantee. It's a very nice looking machine. Griots appears to have pulled out the stops and stepped up their game to bring a nicer machine to market.

Now with these two machines, and also have the little Griots 3" DA, I got the basic bases covered, the Boss for larger panels-sections, the PC can be also used with 4" or 3" Pads, and the little Griots can get some of the tighter spots the other two won't easily get.

Of the machines I speak of, the Flex appears to be the pinnacle workhorse of the bunch, the one many professionals will reach for.

10. Likes PaulMys, Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO and IMO you can't go wrong with any of the higher end DA's. The GG6 is a great entry level DA. I would look into the Flex, Rupes and Boss. The Flex 3401 can be used as a stand alone and is a beast. The Rupes is a system and is best as a system of their products. My guess the Boss is the same. I prefer the gear driven (FORCED ROTATION) DA. The Makita has a new DA that is both, however, I don't know how it performs. The Rupes and Flex have been around the longest and IMO both have a proven track record.

But like most people here will say you will get a great degree of different opinions. But if I had to look again, I would look at 2 of the 800 pound gorilla brands, Flex or Rupes...you can't go wrong with either.

I went with the Flex 3401 and have never looked back. Love it and it is a gear driven DA. It will keep on going regardless of the type of panel. The Rupes (now they have a direct drive too) has a free float but they are powerful. They are quieter than the Flex. But again, you can't go wrong with either.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

It's all personal preference I guess, unfortunately hard to get some time with each to know for sure. FWIW, I have GG6, Flex 3401, Rupes 15 Mk2, Rupes Mini and BOSS 21.

When time is of the essence and I just want to get something done, Flex as it requires less technique, but it is not as enjoyable as Rupes or BOSS but it gets right down to business.

When I have some time and want to enjoy the process, kinda 'Zen-out', working smaller sections as dictated by contours of car, the Rupes w a yellow pad on the billet backing plate is just kinda a joy to use although it does frustrate me at times if I'm not in the 'groove' so to speak. Nothing is smoother.

Currently digging the BOSS 21, has some real nice features, thoughts below.

I know I struggled last year the whole Rupes v BOSS choice and even after reading everything I could find on the subject ya just never know until you yourself actually drive `em both. When at Barret-Jackson in Scottsdale last January, I got to play with a G21 in the Griots tent for a bit and it was enough to pique my curiosity enough to look into grabbing a G21 at some point.

Normally when time is of the essence and some compounding needs to be done, the Flex 3401, M101 on gray LC Force pads takes care of things like an old beat up van in a relatively expedient manner, although I`ve also used Rupes 15 Mk2 with billet backing plate on these types of vehicles as well. The G21 with 6.5" BOSS Microfiber pads and Megs D300 ate this thing up even quicker than the Flex and far less taxing; 4 passes and move to next section. I`m quite impressed with this machine and really look forward to using it again.

i think the ergonomics of it vs the Rupes (in my case) makes it much easier to use than the Rupes, although the Rupes is still noticeably smoother for the most part and feels more solid/monolithic. The G21 kinda sorta feels more `assembled` if that makes any sense, but is still very smooth and comfortable to use; it`s slightly more compact compared to the Rupes and the angle of the handle and more rounded rubber grips keep me from teeter-tottering the machine/pad as much, eliminating some measure of stalling.

Even though it`s a relatively flat vehicle in this case (Ford E250 panel vsn), and ideal for a 21mm stroke, there are still a few curves over the wheels and some recessed body accent lines that require more attention with the Rupes as opposed to the Flex, and the G21 took care of those with ease, hardly any stalling and quite willing to have the pad edge pushed into recesses to polish. While not apples to apples (21mm v 15mm) it`s become obvious that each has pluses and minuses compared to the other, mostly very minor things.

Regardless, anybody who dismisses the BOSS machines without having tried em, or disparages them as cheap Chinese knockoffs should probably rethink that narrow-minded view. The BOSS is certainly a solid piece of kit, worthy of consideration. I look forward to us8ng on a curvier vehicle to see if my current impressions hold. It`s a more comfortable machine to hold (for me) than the Rupes, with more rounded edges and rubber grips/inserts.

I did follow up on the hood with a yellow BOSS Pad and Scholl S40 and it worked very nicely and quickly; that extra 6mm of throw over a 15mm machine really covers a lot of ground efficiently.

As for a few more thoughts on BOSS v. Rupes,

What I prefer w the BOSS:

1. Variable speed trigger. Much more preferable to me, very easy to set working speed and then use variable speed trigger to slowly spread polish initially and then move right up to working speed without having to adjust speed dial. A little item but when you consider how often you do this at the start of each section,` it`s a more convenient approach than Rupes slow start.

2. Ergonomics. For me, BOSS is more comfortable to hold with its softer rubber grips here and there, bit more compact and rounded chassis as well. It just seems to rest in my hands in a more natural manner. Rupes is a bit more `square-ish` with regards to chassis.

3. Usage/effectiveness/learning curve. The BOSS just seemed to be easier to use effectively right outta the box. While it has a more powerful motor, spec-wise, than the Rupes, I`m not sure how (or if) that translates into more torque, thus less stalling.

I didn`t use any if the included washers to space the plate a bit off of the shroud for 100% free spinning and I`m not sure I will. The Rupes seems to have more shroud to plate drag/contact in its stock configuration as when cleanng/spinning` a microfiber pad with compressed air on the Rupes, the stock set up does not allow the pad to spin while compressed air is blown on pad. The G21 will spin while being blown off for effective pad cleaning. There is still some contact with the G21 as when pad stops spinning when power is switched off, it does not completely spin freely until momentum stops it; the last little bit of rotation stops in a manner which indicates friction is involved in the final stopping rather than loss of momentum.

What I prefer w the Rupes:

1. It`s a Rupes. For me, anyway, with the Rupes being the original long throw,` there`s just a certain mystique` (well warranted)` about their machines. The user experience with the Rupes is a very relaxing, almost artistic experience once you get your technique dialed in, which I still have yet to completely do; getting there but still a ways to go.

2. Smooth and soothing while in use. The Rupes still has an advantage in overall smoothness, especially with a billet backing plate bolted on and a yellow or white Rupes pad on it. It`s a combo that just makes me want to polish something for the sake of using it and enjoying the feel. The sound level of the Rupes is smooth as well, a consistent soothing `hum of quality`; G21 is a more mechanical sound although in no way objectionable

3. Rupes has 25ft cord option, not avaliable on G21 that I saw. Minor inconvenience at most but worthy of note.

Pretty much right after ordering the G21 I was on the fence regarding if it was dumb or not, being only an occasional hobbyist with the Rupes 15 and the Flex 3401 on the shelf already; after using it for a few hours, I have no regrets in buying and trying the G21, that`s for sure.

Now the Duetto I picked up last holiday season, that`s turning out to be a dumb purchase...have used it for about 15 minutes so far. With a Rupes Mini, LHR15, Flex 3401 and now G21 I just can`t think of a situation where I might find it useful. Oops.

Side by side, G21 & LHR15 Mk2 below

13. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

Sort of curious to your product/pad selection, procedure, technique, and goals.