autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Foam cannon applied ceramic coatings--have tips?

At 3:33 he uses the foam cannon.
    YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Foam cannon applied ceramic coatings--have tips?

Quote Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Using the foam cannon for speed of application. Imagine how many squirts from a spray bottle it would take to coat a 30 foot RV. Moving the ladder every 3 feet.
    Oh I know how long it takes to do an RV. I applied Wolfgang Uber Ceramic (syringe) using a coating applicator to a 41’ 5th Wheel —- never again. Next time I’m just using Hydro Blue.

If you want to save time use one of the pump Kwazers, that will minimize product waste & they work awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard of this product but it sounds more like a sealant than a coating. Applied and acts just like wet coat and Hydro2. But they call it a coating.

Straight from their website also "..Recharge can be used as a stand alone product or as a maintenance coating to revitalize other ceramic coating brands."
    Last edited by Legacykid; 05-27-2018 at 09:06 AM. Reason: wrong name

Post Thanks / Like

•IMO:
    -Trying to wash vehicles with a foam
    cannon is about as useless as a monkey
    beating on an engine with a hammer.

-Perhaps using a foam cannon to
    apply certain types of ‘Coatings’
    will be meritorious.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if Carpro Hydro2 Foam would be a good choice for you? If you already has a clean surface when applying it. You could proberly foam with the foamcannon to a whole panel of the RV and then activate it by PW rinse it off. A longevity around 3 months you would get.

CarPro HydroFoam - 1 Liter

The problem could be when applying hydro2 foam it must be applyied in the shade or out of the sun. Or it will streaking badly on you.

I have a siloxane polymer concentrate that you dilute 5ml to 500ml of water in the foamcannon. It foams really well to my surprise and lets me foam a whole truck before drying on the paint. It can be diluted to 1ml to 500ml in the foamcannon for maintance. And 1:10 and apply as a sealant and get you 6 months longevity and the foamcannon application gives 3-4 months. You can ad it in the wash bucket solution and get a maintance car soap with the same protection. Have great experience with this to fire and forget on a work truck.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks the youtube guy i like to watch reviewed that HydroFoam as well in his "spray on coatings" series. The stuff looks like a great way to wash a lightly dusted vehicle and leave behind more protection than you scrubbed off. Unless you always remove existing coating, but are just adding something different on top. Which might help your overall level of protection to stay strong and effective.

I tried a little experiment this morning. Using the foam cannon to coat the whole RV. The goal is to figure out how thin and diluted you can apply the product while still getting protection. Being a novice here i dont really have a clue how to judge protection besides just looking at the beading.

I mixed 1.5 ounces (44ml) of coating with 30ounces of cold tap water. (i have distilled dang it, next time). Now this is a very diluted mixture as the website says to use 250ml per vehicle when using the foam cannon. Thats kinda expensive for my hobbyist tastes when 1000ml cost $60. Especially when 250ml does a "vehicle"......so an RV would require triple or 4x that which equals the entire 60 dollar bottle.

So the plan was shoot this extremely diluted mixture very liberally onto the RV. Coating the same spots over and over. Hopefully spreading evenly and the repetition might cover any of my human error where i could miss a spot. I would watch the bottle and tried to use the 32ounces evenly over all the sides of a 30ft RV. I did not do the roof. I will tomorrow though before the sun comes out.

For a little test i applied more product using the dry method. In 3 different spots i applied about a 1x3 foot section of coating. The directions say it takes 24 hours to cure. So tomorrow morning i will just spray some water on the 3 sections and see if i can tell a difference. If its night a day difference then i guess you can conclude the diluted mixture i sprayed on today didnt work so great. I did the math earlier and think it was $3 of product to spray a 30ft RV.

Oh also in terms of the control on the foam cannon i started with it set to 50%. But that seemed to not use much product at all. Went to 75% and ended with it set to full 100% foam mixture and just watched the bottle to try and use 32 ounces on the rig for a base line type of test.

My initial thoughts are i need to go way stronger with the mixture. I did spray the product 100% dilution straight from the bottle onto a couple sections of the trailer. Then rinsed off. I didnt see a big difference. So maybe the diluted mixture did lay down a tad bit of coating.

One final topic is safety. When you use a spray bottle, seems like so much product gets wasted right into the air. Wasted money, and also youre breathing it. If the ceramic coating is advertised to stick to anything. Clear coat, metal wheels, rubber tires, .......your lungs? I dont want to breath the stuff and wore a straight up respirator. There is a mist of product flying everywhere when using the pressure washer. Using a spray bottle 2 feet from your face is also a bit scary. So yeah big whah whah ending here. If you read it all thanks and excited to hear peoples thoughts.

Please feel free to reply to any of the topics.

Post Thanks / Like

To update the thread i sprayed water on the 3 areas that i applied the coating dry. At first i couldnt really see a difference at all. But after time the areas i applied dry seemed to have less water beading on them. Which makes me think it has a more effective layer of coating that is repelling the water.

In the picture i applied the coating dry in a horizontal section under the windows. Again in person it was hard to see a difference. But looking at the pic i can see where the coating was applied dry.

My novice opinion at this point is that my super diluted mixture is not adequate. Especially for the first layer of coating.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foam cannon applied ceramic coatings--have tips?-20180528_065320-jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12