autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Part Time Detailer - What Extractor?

Hey everyone,

im a part time Detailer who has always hated doing interiors. Probably because anytime I’m faced with a really dirty carpet and upholstery, I struggle. I’ve been using a little green machine with hot tap water in it, but as many of you may know, it’s just not enough.

Ive been investing some money into new equipment. I got a McCulloch steam cleaner, which works well enough, bought a Rupes mkii 21, and now I’m thinking about grabbing a REAL hot water extractor and calling it a day. I’m not looking to grab a $1500 one, but I’ve been eyeing the Mytee Tempo. I also remember people recommending the Aztec some time ago. Any recommendations? Is the step up from a LGM to one of these larger extractors worth the $700+? I’ve never used one.

Thank you in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Part Time Detailer - What Extractor?

The Mytee Tempo looks like a nice Unit. I know I've seen some here and there over the years in the $700-$900 category, larger, probably could be called semi-pro machines, more durable hardware, better and more powerful vacuum motors, etc.

Some I've seen didn't look like they had provision for heating the water, in other words the water would be only as hot as what's coming from your tap.

Some benefits there are of such a better machine, larger solution and recovery tanks making it less work in use compared to smaller consumer hoover-bissel-etc models.

And if you have a home that has a considerable amount of carpeting, and upholstery, the machine with the proper attachments can over time save you money versus the need of calling a carpet cleaning company to do those chores periodically.

Post Thanks / Like

You might also look around on craigslist. When we first started, I constantly checked CL and I ended up getting a MyTee 8070 with the $350 dry upholstery tool for $500. The unit was basically brand new. The guy I bought it from was going to detail airplanes exclusively but it never panned out for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 001jigsaw View Post
    Hey everyone,

im a part time Detailer who has always hated doing interiors. Probably because anytime I’m faced with a really dirty carpet and upholstery, I struggle. I’ve been using a little green machine with hot tap water in it, but as many of you may know, it’s just not enough.

Ive been investing some money into new equipment. I got a McCulloch steam cleaner, which works well enough, bought a Rupes mkii 21, and now I’m thinking about grabbing a REAL hot water extractor and calling it a day. I’m not looking to grab a $1500 one, but I’ve been eyeing the Mytee Tempo. I also remember people recommending the Aztec some time ago. Any recommendations? Is the step up from a LGM to one of these larger extractors worth the $700+? I’ve never used one.

Thank you in advance!
    I have the mytee tempo s300 with heat...seems to work pretty good, although I have nothing to compare it to...I was able to pick it up barely used for $300 bucks..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    You might also look around on craigslist. When we first started, I constantly checked CL and I ended up getting a MyTee 8070 with the $350 dry upholstery tool for $500. The unit was basically brand new. The guy I bought it from was going to detail airplanes exclusively but it never panned out for him.
    how do you like the dry upholstery tool?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDubs115 View Post
    how do you like the dry upholstery tool?
    I like it a lot because nothing gets super wet unless you run it wide open.