Ok so lets get right into it.. This is just my attempt to find out how a dedicated liquid sealant will react if applied immediately after using HD Speed in place of a dedicated polish.. Why not just use a polish? I used to be among the 1st in line to poke with that question.. But I have discovered and am willing to admit that I now see what many others had long been raving about, which is that in the short term, there seems to be benefits in using an AIO instead of a dedicated polish.. But can the benefits be trusted to have any real lasting power? Or are they just cheap thrills?

Then there’s the whole “you can top a sealant with a wax, but not the other way around”
Well that’s a cool story, but I’m stubborn and when it comes to something like this, I have to see it to believe it. So I did a bit of testing on my own car.

I decided to bring along just about every AIO on my shelf. Here are the participants.

No chance of cross contamination. You can trust me to think ahead and work clean.

Bucket wash + thoroughly clayed with claytowel. Final wipedown with Megs D114.

Condition of the paint is fine prior to testing. Completely smooth and no clay marring, very minor swirls. Free of anything, ideal for testing.

Polishing will be done with HF DA and 5” foam polishing pads on speed 4.5-5. NormL buffing cycle.

Before I begin polishing I get in the zone by putting my headphones on and cranking up the Meguiars Asia video for the ultimate theme music for polishing paint. If you have a sense of humor, you get it... If you don’t, I can’t help you with this part. Lol.

1st up: Meguiars D166 Ultra Polishing Wax - AIO 1 Step Solution.

Next up: HD Speed.

Blackfire One Step... Everything’s going as expected...

Next up: McKee’s 360 w/LC Flat Foam Polishing Pad... This is where things get a bit weird. Totally wasn’t expecting this... As soon as I begin polishing I feel like something’s a bit off, but it couldn’t be too big of a deal so I continue for a moment until I get a visual I’ve never seen while polishing paint. You’ll probably never see something quite like this.... I’m literally start seeing clearcoat being removed in real time as I’m polishing! Whoa what the heck!!! Stop the polisher!🛑

So there’s a couple of reasons as to why this happened... 1st of all, the paint on my hood has been to hell and back. It’s been sanded, compounded, polished countless times and has been gradually failing in some areas for a while now. But I’ve never had anything like this happen before.

2nd reason: McKee’s 360 somehow did something I’ve never had happen before with any other product. It somehow managed to stay in 1 spot and not self prime on the pad. Very strange.

I re applied 360 on the pad and gently spread it across the test area on speed 2...

But the damage was done.

Relax I’m only kidding about that last pic! Lol. That large part was already on my hood. McKee’s 360 didn’t cause that large area of clearcoat failure.

But it did cause this to happen while I was polishing. Here’s another pic of immediately after polishing with it.

Meguiars D151 and Griots Boss Finishing Sealant were tested on the trunk without any issues.

To be continued...