autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Please recommend a good paint prep or AIO before sealant

My friend and I will be detailing his dad’s 7 year old Toyota Camry soon. It has dark gray metallic paint and has not seen a wax since we applied Nu Finish to it three years ago. I have a tin of Finish Kare Hi-Temp Paste Wax that I would like to use, as we want something long lasting on the car.

We will do some minimal claying or work with a bug sponge to remove the really obvious stuck on goobers, but we only have one afternoon to finish the job so can’t really clay the whole thing. Can anyone recommend a good product for prepping the paint that we can apply by hand, and is compatible with the Finish Kare?

I have Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion on hand, but I wonder if I should spring for a mild abrasive in this case, given that the car is dark gray and rather unforgiving about showing swirls. Or maybe a glaze that can fill in the scratches? Please advise. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please recommend a good paint prep or AIO before sealant

Quote Originally Posted by eaksqueak View Post
    My friend and I will be detailing his dad’s 7 year old Toyota Camry soon. It has dark gray metallic paint and has not seen a wax since we applied Nu Finish to it three years ago. I have a tin of Finish Kare Hi-Temp Paste Wax that I would like to use, as we want something long lasting on the car.

We will do some minimal claying or work with a bug sponge to remove the really obvious stuck on goobers, but we only have one afternoon to finish the job so can’t really clay the whole thing. Can anyone recommend a good product for prepping the paint that we can apply by hand, and is compatible with the Finish Kare?

I have Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion on hand, but I wonder if I should spring for a mild abrasive in this case, given that the car is dark gray and rather unforgiving about showing swirls. Or maybe a glaze that can fill in the scratches? Please advise. Thanks!
    I use CarPro Eraser. It’s a good IPA and it smells decent as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ​@FREAKIN52 AUTO DETAILING!

3. Thanks eaksqueak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Working by hand, I don’t think you’ll get many swirls out, and you only have an afternoon. I would go for Glaze or pre-wax cleaner like you already have. I would think what you have on hand will fill in some swirls as well as anything else by hand.

5. Thanks eaksqueak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you working by hand, I would use Duragloss 501.

Good cleaning ability, and easy to use.

7. Thanks eaksqueak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why can't you clay the entire thing? A camry is not that large. Clay alternatives make the job quicker as well. Between two people you can knock this out in a few minutes.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Why can't you clay the entire thing? A camry is not that large. Clay alternatives make the job quicker as well. Between two people you can knock this out in a few minutes.
    What sort of clay alternatives do you recommend? I have minimal experience with claying, but I’m working on a Subaru Outback right now and it’s taking me about an hour to do one panel. If I tried to go faster I’d be afraid of creating scratches from the gunk the clay picks up.

Post Thanks / Like

What sort of clay alternatives do you recommend? I have minimal experience with claying, but I’m working on a Subaru Outback right now and it’s taking me about an hour to do one panel. If I tried to go faster I’d be afraid of creating scratches from the gunk the clay picks up.
    Clay Mitts, pads. You can even clay while washing the car, providing that the car shampoo has enough lubricity in it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ​@FREAKIN52 AUTO DETAILING!

Post Thanks / Like

HUH!!!??? Get this pack, Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge Combo Pack Two minutes per panel......MAX!

12. Likes PaulMys, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxMaster1 View Post
    HUH!!!??? Get this pack, Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge Combo Pack Two minutes per panel......MAX!
    Thanks. I’ll take a look at that.

I’m working with cars that haven’t been cleaned in years. I’m constantly cleaning and picking little bits of stuff from the clay. It’s very time consuming.

Post Thanks / Like

Get a clay mitt. It's a HUGE time saver over the little pieces of clay. My claying process went from 45-60 minutes down to 15-20 minutes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast