autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Chemicals on brake rotors

I have a small mobile detailing business and have been detailing since 1992. I have used many different wheel cleaners from mild soaps to acid cleaners and occasionally IronX. From time to time when I have to use IronX to remove built on rust and brake dust deposits, I try not to get any overspray directly onto the rotors because when they are rinsed off a small coating of rust will appear. Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove this after cleaning? It just doesn't look good. I added 2 before and after pics I recently cleaned below for clarification
    Chemicals on brake rotors-wheel-before-jpgChemicals on brake rotors-wheel-after-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chemicals on brake rotors

My first foggy thoughts are:

1. after rinsing, hit the rotors w/ air from a compressor to get rid of the water before it starts causing oxidation.
    2. variation of #1, lightly spray the rotors w/ Iso. alcohol which absorbs water then maybe the compressed air.

That was one filthy Benz Nicely done!

Post Thanks / Like
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

4. Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by howardm4 View Post
    My first foggy thoughts are:

1. after rinsing, hit the rotors w/ air from a compressor to get rid of the water before it starts causing oxidation.
    2. variation of #1, lightly spray the rotors w/ Iso. alcohol which absorbs water then maybe the compressed air.

That was one filthy Benz Nicely done!
    Thanks I will give this a try

Post Thanks / Like

I second this- what you are describing is exactly what this product is designed for

Post Thanks / Like

This is usually remedied by rolling the car back and forth with the brakes lightly applied to dry the rotors with the pads before they dry off from the rinsing phase.

This will normally rub the rust off without spraying it back out all over the wheel you just cleaned.
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCDetails View Post
    This is usually remedied by rolling the car back and forth with the brakes lightly applied to dry the rotors with the pads before they dry off from the rinsing phase.

This will normally rub the rust off without spraying it back out all over the wheel you just cleaned.
    I was thinking the same thing. In all seriousness, is the concern about the rotor appearance based on creating a better appearance for delivery of the car back to the customer? I know the rotors on my GTI rust horribly compared to our other vehicles whenever they get wet, but a couple quick applications of the brakes and they are shiny once again. I always considered it the nature of disc brakes and not a big deal.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCDetails View Post

I have done that as well but some customers just do not want me to turn on the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. In all seriousness, is the concern about the rotor appearance based on creating a better appearance for delivery of the car back to the customer? I know the rotors on my GTI rust horribly compared to our other vehicles whenever they get wet, but a couple quick applications of the brakes and they are shiny once again. I always considered it the nature of disc brakes and not a big deal.
    Yes it is just an appearance thing. I did a 2018 Porsche 911 a couple weeks back and the customer asked why they look rusty. I mentioned to him the reason and told him to just drive it forward or backward with light pressure on the brakes. That did the trick