autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Advice on products switching from Zaino and swirl hiding for multiple cars in family

I have been a Zaino guy for 15 years. Seems to be pretty good. The 2 things I'm looking for differently are hiding swirls a little and also I am not a fan of the ZFX, z-AIO, or the Z-CS. I do still have plenty of the z-8, z-6, soap, z-AIO and Z-CS. The ZFX is a pain as it dries up. I acutally used to like the old Z1 setup. But anyway, I'm looking for a change. I have a newer magnetic color mustang that is in very good paint condition other then factory orange peel. I have done Zaino and it looks fine and 8 months later beads like new. Stays in the garage and comes out every nice day it can. If I look hard enough at the paint in the sun or the right lighting I can see a hint of a very light swirl line here and there. Not near enough to hit with polish. I was hoping I could finish with something to hide those few last swirls and have a wet look.
    Then I have an 05 Pure Black mustang that also only comes out in nice weather. The paint had a lot of swirls and scratches when I bought it. I have done a pretty good go at it with M105 and M205. It has a great shine because almost no orange peel left so I don't want to polish any deeper but there are still a few decent swirl/scratches that I would also like to hide now if possible and look wet.
    I also have 2 older Infiniti SUV's that are the daily drivers with one outside all the time. Both are silver. Not worried about the perfect shine on them even though the one's paint is incredible yet. But silver always looks good. So I am looking for long term protection for them.
    In the past I have done the Zaino or Nu Finish for the SUV's and results were fine. Nu Finish lasts pretty good but can be a pain to use at times. I'm thinking of using up the Z-AIO on the suv's. Might use the Polisher to apply to give them a decent cleaning. I was thinking of possibly Sonex PNS covered with Collinite 845 or the Durogloss 111. But then I see plenty of talk about FK1000 or the Fusso. But wonder if I need also Natty's blue paste wax or poorboys blackhole. I still want some protection from dust rubs and such. These ideas were for the Mustangs but also thought about the Sonex and Collinite or FK 1000p for the protection on the Suv's also. Both mustangs I pretty much only wash dust off them. Usually with a pressure washer first then by hand. Thinking of a California duster but nervous of surface scuffs. I have an old purple saturn that I will probably try a few experiments on too. With all that said I am open to any suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice on products switching from Zaino and swirl hiding for multiple cars in family

I have no experience with the Zaino line. As someone who was active on the BMW forums in the early 2000's as an E46 owner, I'm still not sure how I escaped that one.

I noticed you mentioned using 105/205. Is it safe to assume you have a DA polisher as well to do the correction?

If you are doing a light correction with 205 on an annual basis you should be eroding away too much clear coat on any of those vehicles and they will keep looking good as long as you are careful with your washing and drying. If you want to go the glaze route to hide the swirls rather than polish them out, I'd suggest Blackhole you recommended or Prima Amigo. Both great products, but different in their own way.

As for protection, I'd keep things simple and use the same products across your entire fleet of vehicles. I can recommend 845 as being a high endurance sealant. It looks good and lasts a long time on its own, but I found a quick wipe down with Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax after each washing left amazing results and extended the durability of 845 even more. FK1000 would be a good choice too, but any toppings there would probably alter the amazing water behavior it displays. Same for the Sonax PNS. I'd only use Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer on it after a washing. Lots of people love the FK1000 and the PNS, though I've never used the FK1000 and only applied the Sonax PNS and BSD on one occasion, so take that for what it's worth.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice on products switching from Zaino and swirl hiding for multiple cars in family

I do have a 6" rotary polisher and a 7" orbital polisher. So far I have only used the m105 and m205 on the black mustang that needed correction. It worked great but just some issues are a little too deep. I'm afraid I will get too thin.

Post Thanks / Like

take a long look at Prima Amigo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TW557 View Post
    I do have a 6" rotary polisher and a 7" orbital polisher. So far I have only used the m105 and m205 on the black mustang that needed correction. It worked great but just some issues are a little too deep. I'm afraid I will get too thin.
    If the marring is too deep to safely correct, a glaze isn't going to hide it. Glazes seem to be at their best when trying to temporarily hide light swirls and other faint marring. I've always used them as a quick way to hide minor defects until I can properly correct. The best example was when I brought home my new, black, GTI a few years ago. It was late October and temperatures were falling fast. The car was covered with dealer wash swirls so I simply hit the car with Blackhole to hide the swirls and covered it with 845. The car looked amazing and the car was protected until I could properly sort things out in the Spring.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The marring is mostly light to a few deeper that I'm sure nothing will hide it. Just looking for a little help. Zaino seems to do nothing at all especially the z-cs. Also looking to see if any of these other options will protect a little better with marring such as brush against the car with dust on it. The blackhole option I see come up a lot. Does it really work to layer on top of it? I won't just remove it as I do the collinite? I have serious doubts about the layering of some of these products including Zaino. I've done certain areas many more coats over the course of a week and didn't see any real durability difference on the daily drivers. Including many coats of the z-cs stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw no issues applying a sealant over the top of Blackhole or Amigo as both were designed for that purpose. When topped with 845, I saw six months of protection. No different than when applied to a bare surface.

Sealants won't fill/hide defects and glazes don't offer any protection. The only way to get both effects is to layer. I won't layer sealants, but when it is a glaze designed for the purpose I will layer the two together.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good about the possibility of layering glazes. And not I have looked ino more glazes and then more and more options keep coming up. Now I see some great reviews about CG glossowrks too. The collinite 845 sure shows up in a lot of reviews.