autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need advice on HD Speed or Pad

I was using HD speed for the first time with a new white hex logic pads. Used 4 pea size of HD speed to prime the pad followed by additional 3 pea size every reload. Worked on each section with 4 moderate to fast passes.

When i was trying to buff off, it was very difficult. Swiped my fingers across the product and its like dried on the paint, using a MF cloth to buff off is very hard.

So i tried using a finishing pad with autoglym SRP to go through once more and everything came off easily. It defeats the purpose of an AIO of HD speed so i figured i must be doing something wrong.

What could possibly be wrong? Did i use too much product? Or i did not work it long enough?Or could it be the problem with the pad?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice on HD Speed or Pad

I don't have much experience with Speed, only used it twice. The first time was on a client's car and I was really un-impressed by it. Then after talking to people on the forum who were fans of this product I decided to do a side by side comparisson with Meguiars D151 Paint Reconditioning Creme. You probably already know who one since I haven't used Speed afterwards

I had issues with dusting and the result was not as good as D151, People told me Speed doesn't dust usually... so maybe I had a bottle that was bad. Regardless, in 6 years I never had a bad experience with D151. Now I am using D166 which is even better. I never really understood the love people here have for Speed. I also had issues removing it. I think it depends how long you work it and what quantity you use. You might be using either too much or too little. In my case people were telling me it was dusting because I was using too much... ok... D151 never dusted no matter how much I used...

3. Thanks Altec thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine did not dust,just that its a hard to buff off. Is this what they meant by “sticky”?

Post Thanks / Like

It could just be that the paint didn't like that pad/product combo.

I get that sometimes with Meguiar's M205, and have to adjust my approach, or switch to my preferred alternate (Menzerna 2500, or 3500).

6. Thanks Altec thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Odd situation. There are a number of "guesses" I am going to list but I've not encountered any of them, these are just guesses. When using Speed I've always had great luck and results. It's actually one of the easiest and slickest to wipe of IMO.

Is there perhaps:

Some type of contamination on the paint still?
    Anything perhaps contaminated the pad?
    Is the product fresh or did it freeze or separate?

Again, not sure as I've had nothing but great experience with Speed. I typically apply it with an orange or green HexLogic pad but white should be fine too.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

8. Likes Altec liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you let it sit on the paint for at least 20 minutes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I’m guessing you either didn’t work it long enough or you wiped away too soon. Wait until it hazes to wipe. With speed it’s ok to polish the entire car and then come back to wipe it off.
    Bruno Soares

11. Thanks Altec thanked for this post
    Likes acuRAS82, Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've found speed somewhat inconsistent in this regard too. Sometimes it goes on and off super easy, but other times like when I was using it last week, it was dusting like crazy when I wiped it off. In that instance, I found that wiping it off more immediately reduced the dusting. FWIW it was maybe 8 celsius and I was in the shade. Perhaps when its colder it tends to harden up as it dries and thats why it comes off all dusty if you let it sit? Regardless, I haven't had the same issue with other AIOs.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I don't have much experience with Speed, only used it twice. The first time was on a client's car and I was really un-impressed by it. Then after talking to people on the forum who were fans of this product I decided to do a side by side comparisson with Meguiars D151 Paint Reconditioning Creme. You probably already know who one since I haven't used Speed afterwards

I had issues with dusting and the result was not as good as D151, People told me Speed doesn't dust usually... so maybe I had a bottle that was bad. Regardless, in 6 years I never had a bad experience with D151. Now I am using D166 which is even better. I never really understood the love people here have for Speed. I also had issues removing it. I think it depends how long you work it and what quantity you use. You might be using either too much or too little. In my case people were telling me it was dusting because I was using too much... ok... D151 never dusted no matter how much I used...
    I used it once and set it aside, definitely a seriously hyped up product. Might give it a shot again and see if I change my mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
    I used it once and set it aside, definitely a seriously hyped up product. Might give it a shot again and see if I change my mind.
    Try it again. I'm first in line to call BS on product claims, especially if it's over-hyped, but HDSpeed isn't one of those. It's a solid player in this space.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

15. Likes custmsprty, PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast