autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Have I ruined my interior with Meguiars APC?

I used Meguiars APC 10:1 on my interior and it has stained some of the hard plastic areas(around window switches, center console, airbag). In some spots I accidentally let over-spray dry, and others I was just cleaning normally and then wiping with water.

Also some over-spray dried on the glass and won't come off. So far I have tried Invisible Glass, alcohol, and vinegar.

Any tips to remedy these issues?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Have I ruined my interior with Meguiars APC?-1-jpg   Have I ruined my interior with Meguiars APC?-2-jpg   Have I ruined my interior with Meguiars APC?-3-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Have I ruined my interior with Meguiars APC?

APC and White Staining

Hi. Try the link above if it will get you there. Or google APC white staining and AutoGeek. Seems it may be related to 'hard water' and not using distilled or 'soft' water. That and Meguiar's APC has been known to 'etch' a little according to the same link... I bet if you 'soften' the water you'll be fine...

i'm sure some more seasoned pros will chime in...

peace

3. Thanks D10123 thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve experienced the exact same thing with others APC’s and simply there is no turning back. I stopped to use apc in interior trim. only in floor carpets. I upped my game and started to use more premium products like Inside from CarPro or vynil cleaner from gyeon. In that specific case i must use a conditioner to hide that blank discolorations... it ‘s very dissapointing when you use ‘detailing products’ to avoid cheap ones and you end in this kind of situation....

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

5. Thanks D10123 thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goonie75 View Post
    APC and White Staining

Hi. Try the link above if it will get you there. Or google APC white staining and AutoGeek. Seems it may be related to 'hard water' and not using distilled or 'soft' water. That and Meguiar's APC has been known to 'etch' a little according to the same link... I bet if you 'soften' the water you'll be fine...

i'm sure some more seasoned pros will chime in...

peace
    Sorry but not my case! I only use distilled water in my dilutuons and it happened with me and with several apc’s. Don’t agree in this one

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

7. Thanks D10123 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Put some leather conditioner on it. It may take a couple or more applications, but it should bring it back to normL. I’ve had the same problem before, usually happens with Toyota or Honda dashboards & door panels if you steam clean them with APC. Leather conditioner brings it back. I use Megs D180.

9. Thanks D10123 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D10123 View Post
    I used Meguiars APC 10:1 on my interior and it has stained some of the hard plastic areas(around window switches, center console, airbag). In some spots I accidentally let over-spray dry, and others I was just cleaning normally and then wiping with water.

Also some over-spray dried on the glass and won't come off. So far I have tried Invisible Glass, alcohol, and vinegar.

I switched to this: Optimum Opti Clean Concentrate, OptiClean cleaner protectant, Optimum all purpose cleaner protectant and never looked back...

I still use Meg's APC for mats and exterior cleaning but Opti-Clean really works better for me.

11. Thanks D10123 thanked for this post
    Likes Goonie75, Sicoupe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    I switched to this: Optimum Opti Clean Concentrate, OptiClean cleaner protectant, Optimum all purpose cleaner protectant and never looked back...

I still use Meg's APC for mats and exterior cleaning but Opti-Clean really works better for me.
    Just to clarify, are you talking about Optimum Power Clean which is an amazing APC/degreaser? I know Opti-Clean is a waterless wash but it works great as an interior detailer. IMO Optimum made the names of these two very different products way too similar.

13. Thanks D10123 thanked for this post
    Likes Sicoupe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked what I thought he was referring to and that is the OPC. Amazing stuff. Haven't used OptiClean.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Autogeekonline mobile app

15. Thanks D10123 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D10123 View Post

On cars this old I try my best to avoid using any APC or degreaser. If it's really bad I'll used M37 Hi-Intensity APC+ but I dilute is 20:1.

In the future, I would just clean with a low-nap microfiber towel and a mild cleaning product like M37 N-914, Optimum Opti-clean, D114, ONR, M37 Fast Interior detailer, etc.

If you do feel you need to use an APC, just use a dramatically weaker dilution and be sure to wipe the surface down with a damp towel to neutralize the alkalinity.

If you have a tornador (even the classic) you would be amazed by how well just using distilled water cleans.

Onto remedying the problem...Optimum Protectant plus AKA Optimum Leather protectant has impressive filling ability on vinyl and plastic surfaces. It does an amazing job restoring the factory appearance and can even hide scuffs and scratches. It may take several applications to restore the appearance. Unfortunately, the next time you use a harsh cleaner like D101 it will strip the protection and you'll always have to reapply an interior protectant.

Rather than using D101 again, just use an interior detailer like 1z Cockpit Premium or M37 Fast Interior Detailer to maintain the vinyl and plastics.

17. Thanks D10123, Diner thanked for this post
    Likes Eldorado2k, D10123, Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like ONR, or Meguiar's M40 for those parts.

I tend to use D101 on carpet, upholstery, floor mats, and wheel wells.

19. Thanks D10123, Dan Tran thanked for this post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast