autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Have I ruined my interior with Meguiars APC?

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    13 is for the concentrate. If you dilute it 10:1, my math tells me it will be at the 7.54 level... which is barelly more alkaline than pure water.

Maybe for people with chemistry backgrounds can jump in here. I might be calculating it wrong.
    You don’t have to be a chemist, all you need is some PH testing strips to put this argument to rest once and for all.

But it wouldn’t surprise me 1 bit since detractors always love to preach about the absolute worst case scenario when they come out of the woodworks to point something out. [but when it’s a product they happen to be a fanboy of, it’s always the best case scenario. Lol]

2. Likes JRP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    bought a gallon (not too long ago)...

after i use up my D101, i will no longer buy/use it anymore...
    Good stuff. Relatively tame, it's about pH 10. No scent, cleans very well and safe. Interior wise, I only use APC on carpets.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    You don’t have to be a chemist, all you need is some PH testing strips to put this argument to rest once and for all.

But it wouldn’t surprise me 1 bit since detractors always love to preach about the absolute worst case scenario when they come out of the woodworks to point something out. [but when it’s a product they happen to be a fanboy of, it’s always the best case scenario. Lol]
    I am not a fanboy of Simple Green nor have I come out of the "woodworks". I was merely stating that Simple Green is a safe pH neutral cleaner. I am a fan of many Meguairs products but D101 seems to have high alkalinity. In concentrate, it does have a pH of 13. With a 10:1 dilution, the pH goes down to 11.959. With a 15:1 dilution, the pH is 11.796. At 50:1 the pH comes down to 11.292.

Here is the calculation:

pH of solution = Original pH - (-log (original volume/new volume))
    pH of solution = 13 - (-log (1/51))
    pH of solution = 13 - (1.7076)
    pH of solution = 11.292

5. Thanks mwoywod thanked for this post
    Likes mwoywod, SpaceAce liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have I ruined my interior with Meguiars APC?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    I am not a fanboy of Simple Green nor have I come out of the "woodworks". I was merely stating that Simple Green is a safe pH neutral cleaner. I am a fan of many Meguairs products but D101 seems to have high alkalinity. In concentrate, it does have a pH of 13. With a 10:1 dilution, the pH goes down to 11.959. With a 15:1 dilution, the pH is 11.796. At 50:1 the pH comes down to 11.292.

Here is the calculation:

pH of solution = 11.292
    Honestly I wasn’t referring to you.. I just chose not to name any names but I was actually remembering an old post about the McKee’s dryer where IMO a person used misleading information to make the Metro Master Blaster seem flawed, when in reality no one speaks of the so called major flaw that was brought up in that comparison. I even posted in that thread expressing my thoughts.

I didn’t mean it towards you though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Honestly I wasn’t referring to you.. I just chose not to name any names but I was actually remembering an old post about the McKee’s dryer where IMO a person used misleading information to make the Metro Master Blaster seem flawed, when in reality no one speaks of the so called major flaw that was brought up in that comparison. I even posted in that thread expressing my thoughts.

I didn’t mean it towards you though.
    No problem man. It's good to have active discussions and to share opinions. I have learned many useful tips and techniques from your postings. Keep them coming.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Good stuff. Relatively tame, it's about pH 10. No scent, cleans very well and safe. Interior wise, I only use APC on carpets.
    Sounds perfect for more delicate interiors. I REALLY wish they would release it in a concentrate.

Which APC do you use on carpets?

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the calculation:

pH of solution = 11.292
    There's a ton of confusion surrounding pH balance after dilution. Logically, many guys (including myself) falsely assumed that diluting a highly alkaline concentrate 10:1 let alone 50:1 would dramatically affect the pH value. Thanks for sharing how to accurately calculate the effect dilution has on pH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    There's a ton of confusion surrounding pH balance after dilution. Logically, many guys (including myself) falsely assumed that diluting a highly alkaline concentrate 10:1 let alone 50:1 would dramatically affect the pH value. Thanks for sharing how to accurately calculate the effect dilution has on pH
    I had to dig out my chemistry book that has been in the attic since 1993. If you are diluting an acid (pH below 7), you have to add the value of the log of the volume ratio. Here is a link to an easy online calculator.

Chemical Calculator: Dilution of Bases and Acids

11. Thanks Calendyr, SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I try avoid using APC's on interiors if possible. OPC is the only one I trust on interiors and engines. I only use distilled H2O when I mix chemicals.
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."

Post Thanks / Like

I had to dig out my chemistry book that has been in the attic since 1993. If you are diluting an acid (pH below 7), you have to add the value of the log of the volume ratio. Here is a link to an easy online calculator.

Chemical Calculator: Dilution of Bases and Acids
    Very good tool to use. Thank you. I forgot that the PH scale wasn't linear. So at 10:1 Meg's APC is at 11.959 on the scale.

Will bookmark this for sure

14. Likes mwoywod liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast