autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing Surface Residue - Rust Protection

Vehicle in question is a 2014 Ford F150. Since purchasing it new I have had it sprayed with Krown rust protection annually. I know that the Krown product "creeps" over time and therefore expected some product to be present around door jambs, tail-lights, etc., but what I have noticed recently is what seems like a 'film' on 75%+ of the body surface.

When spraying the vehicle with straight water or my foam cannon you can see the obvious areas around the tail-lights, bottoms of doors where the water gets repelled instantly. When I'm drying the remaining panels with my PFM towel it looks like there is a residue being left behind after a wipe (some are worse than others) I should also point out that about a month after I have the truck sprayed I clean all of the product from the door jambs, tailgate and hood as I prefer these areas to be clean and not covered in black residue.

The truck will require correction later this spring, so I will need to get down to the bare paint surface. In the interim, I would like to get the truck's paint down to a clean surface but am unsure what product(s) to use. I'm thinking of a highly diluted degreaser of some variety, but not sure how safe that is on paint. I know the commercial says "a drop of Dawn and grease is gone" - would that be strong enough? Appreciate any assistance/suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing Surface Residue - Rust Protection

You can test useing a tar remover to see if it desolves the film. As always test spot and see if it works. The problem can be to find the right chemical that desolves it. It seems to be a petrolium based product and like desolves like often. 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner is a very effective product and maybe a last resort to go with. 3D Orange 88 Citrus Degreaser is a more gentle approach to start with. Just be carefull when useing chemicals to not let them dry on the paint. If used around surfaces where you have adisive like badges and plastic rinse thoroughly with water after.

Some cleaner wax/AIO has petrolium based chemicals in them. If I remember correctly 3D HD Speed is one of them. You can use that to hand apply and let dwell for a little while and then wipe it off and see if it desolves the film. And also here do a test spot to find if it's works. Hand application is so you don't use the abrasive in it and just the cleaner part in it. Maybe if you find a paint cleaner that has not protection in it would work too. Look if you can find the msds sheat of the product and see so it's petrolium based product.

And if you want to make it simple for you. Contact Krown and get what they recommend and I think that they have a product to sell to you.