autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

specific swirl questions

Good Morning and thanks for taking the time to read this post and answer if you do. I have been reading about swirls and cutting polish for a few weeks now. I have a juniper red 2015 Mercedes Benz. I love the way it looks after I wash, clay bar, apply Klasse all in one and Collinite 845. Although the swirls, or what I think are swirls from washing and drying, maybe too aggressively are starting to bother me. The car looks amazing from 10 feet away but they are noticeable from 2 feet in a bright sun. Please see pics. (car was not washed in a while)

I bought a bottle of chemical guys V36 but I am concerned about removing the clear coat paint if I start to use this once or twice a year. I dont want to lose the great look I see on my car from 10 to 20 feet away. Secondly, can I apply this product without a machine? Is it effective to apply by hand? Is that way less aggressive to the clear coat? I would not be interested in buying a machine. My Dad has the black and decker 6 in random orbit waxer polisher. Would you recommend I use that with an orange pad? Can that remove clear coat after using it with v36?

Also in the winter I can only wash my car by taking it to a hand washing auto center. In order to prevent swirls, I can ask them not to hand dry it, but when washing it they use hand mits however they want. With that said, am I wasting my time attempting to remove the swirl marks. Thanks again!

specific swirl questions-thumbnail_20180429_112923-jpgspecific swirl questions-20180429_112936-jpgspecific swirl questions-thumbnail_20180429_112940-jpg

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: specific swirl questions

126 reads 0 replies...

Post Thanks / Like

You only have so much clearcoat so you should always start with the least aggressive method first. As for the handwashing in the winter I would stay away. The swirls don’t usually come from the drying it’s the washing where the damage happens.

Post Thanks / Like

My thought on it is that if you're concerned about taking off too much clearcoat, think about using a spray wax after each wash that has fillers. I have been polishing my cars once or twice a year for 5 years, with no issues so far. I dont use a very agressive method, and it doesnt get near 100% defect free, but its good enough to make me happy.

Also - I usually use DG951 or Ultimate Quick Wax after each wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Using a product like V36 by hand might not get you where you want to go.

Try a test spot and see what happens.

The 6" Black and Decker tool has a fixed pad, where you would install terrycloth, or microfiber bonnets to work the polish. This would be better than hand application, but not as effective as a true variable speed random orbital.

Another option is a cleaner sealant, like Duragloss 501, or 101. Good cleaning ability, great sealant durability. These products won't cut like V36, but they will do some "masking" of whatever defects are remaining. Note you might sill see paint defects.

6. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you need to revisit your wash technique, and rethink the "hand washing auto center".

Search for the 2 bucket method, Gary Dean method, etc.

And once or twice a year with a polisher isn't going to remove all of your clear coat if you're just chasing light swirls.

Do yourself a favor and at least consider getting a polisher.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

V36 isn't a very effective product to begin with, I would venture to say that using it by hand will do absolutely nothing. Check the paint code on the driver's door jamb, if there is a "C" in front of it you have Ceramiclear paint which is extremely hard and durable. You won't be able to do anything to it without a machine. Not really sure about the effectiveness of the Black and Decker machine you reference.

From your pictures, it looks like you have wash induced marring and holograms from an inexperienced detailer using a rotary machine on the paint. I think your best bet is to hire a professional for a true paint correction or stick with a glaze type product with fillers to mask the swirls temporarily.
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

MB paint is very hard so V36 by hand is not going to be effective. Invest in a good polisher and don’t worry too much about the amount of clear removed if you use a mild polish once a year to remove the wash induced swirls. Read some more here about wash techniques to minimize swirls and you should be good to go.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_1981 View Post
    My thought on it is that if you're concerned about taking off too much clearcoat, think about using a spray wax after each wash that has fillers. I have been polishing my cars once or twice a year for 5 years, with no issues so far. I dont use a very agressive method, and it doesnt get near 100% defect free, but its good enough to make me happy.

Also - I usually use DG951 or Ultimate Quick Wax after each wash.
    Thanks for the reply, I have ultimate quick wax, what does that do with regards to swirls?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric@CherryOnTop View Post
    V36 isn't a very effective product to begin with, I would venture to say that using it by hand will do absolutely nothing. Check the paint code on the driver's door jamb, if there is a "C" in front of it you have Ceramiclear paint which is extremely hard and durable. You won't be able to do anything to it without a machine. Not really sure about the effectiveness of the Black and Decker machine you reference.

From your pictures, it looks like you have wash induced marring and holograms from an inexperienced detailer using a rotary machine on the paint. I think your best bet is to hire a professional for a true paint correction or stick with a glaze type product with fillers to mask the swirls temporarily.
    thanks you for your reply, a machine has never been used on my paint, I suspect it has been my aggressive washing. Do you thing swirl x or ultimate compound by hand would remove them instead of v36?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast